Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L21 Raid on York

Guest Richard.b

Guest Richard.b

Hi

Im looking for further information on the L21 Raid on York which I think took place in May 1916.

My Grandmother at the time was about 8yrs old and was living in or around Caroline Street in York. Their house was hit and she was dragged from it by her farther, unharmed; but her mother recieve injuries to her head.

Do you think any photos would have been taken after the bombings and where would be the best place to find these?

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richad, yes it was 2nd May 1916. L21 was commanded by Kapitanleutnant der Reserve Max Dietrich, the raid only lasting 10 minutes. The approach was made at about 2230 from Bishopthorpe, dropping eighteen bombs on Dringhouses which injured two soldiers. He then flew over York south west to north east, with bombs falling on Nunthorpe Hall red cross Hospital, as well as Nunthorpe Avennue which killed a girl, injured the spine of her sister and ripped the arm off their mother. A house in Upper Price Street collapsed killing an elderly couple living there.

Bombs fell in Caroline Street, and damaged houses in Newton Terrace and Kyme Street, as well as Peaseholme Green which killed five civilians and a soldier and injuring one other, then the other bombs fell in fields outside York, the Zeppelin commander believed he had raided Middlesborough.

At the time, York had no searchlights or AA weapons. There was another raid on 25th September by L14 and also on 27/28 November, both in 1916, by L13.

York Castle Museum has air raid precuation notices, identification posters, Zeppelin fragments and a Ranken dart, but not currently on display.

This information is all from 'The Baby Killers - German air raids on Britain in the First World War' by Thomas Fegan and is a very good book

• 1 year later...
Hi Richad, yes it was 2nd May 1916. L21 was commanded by Kapitanleutnant der Reserve Max Dietrich, the raid only lasting 10 minutes. The approach was made at about 2230 from Bishopthorpe, dropping eighteen bombs on Dringhouses which injured two soldiers. He then flew over York south west to north east, with bombs falling on Nunthorpe Hall red cross Hospital, as well as Nunthorpe Avennue which killed a girl, injured the spine of her sister and ripped the arm off their mother. A house in Upper Price Street collapsed killing an elderly couple living there.

Bombs fell in Caroline Street, and damaged houses in Newton Terrace and Kyme Street, as well as Peaseholme Green which killed five civilians and a soldier and injuring one other, then the other bombs fell in fields outside York, the Zeppelin commander believed he had raided Middlesborough.

At the time, York had no searchlights or AA weapons. There was another raid on 25th September by L14 and also on 27/28 November, both in 1916, by L13.

York Castle Museum has air raid precuation notices, identification posters, Zeppelin fragments and a Ranken dart, but not currently on display.

This information is all from 'The Baby Killers - German air raids on Britain in the First World War' by Thomas Fegan and is a very good book

Dear sirs,

A friend of mine who is involved in the Yorkshire Squadron, The Queen's Own Yeomanry wrote to me recently, as follows.

-------------------------------------

As you know I look after the Museum at my place of work. On of our founding regiments, The East Riding Yeomanry, lost on of the soldiers during the Zeppelin raid on York on 2 May 1916.

Leslie Hinson (aged 19) and another soldier (Who's name we do not have...) was leading a elderly lady to safety when they were hit by a bomb dropped by a Zeppelin.

All three were killed.

Our museum has his Next of Kin medal, a receipt from the undertaker and a letter (copy) from the Lord Mayor of Hull (Leslie came from Hull). We also have a photocopy of a article from a newspaper from 1976.

So, can any of you find out any more information ?

9 people were killed that night, I would like to know their names.

The Zeppelin's reg. numbers would be interesting and any other info about the Zeppelin's.

Any information provided would be credited in the museum library...

Martin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found your post here and wondered if you could supply him with any more information.

His contact details are:- Martin Dawson flugluftholgate@hotmail.co.uk

Many thanks,

Ivor C.

Name: HINSON, LESLIE

Initials: L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: East Riding Yeomanry

Date of Death: 02/05/1916

Service No: 2194

Additional information: Son of Arthur Edward Hinson, of Grove Hill, Hessle.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 36. 1. 1.

Cemetery: HALTEMPRICE (HESSLE) CEMETERY

From Soldiers Died Great War

Born, Resident & Enlisted Hull Service No is listed as 2094

From 1901 Census Born Hessle

Son of Arthur Born Bourne Lincs aged 31 a house painter & Emily Hinson aged 28 born Hessle.

They had 2 children Arthur aged 3 born Hessle & John aged 1 born Hessle

Address in 1901 Cow Lane Hessle

With regard to the the other military casualty he may be

Name: BECKETT, EDWARD GORDON

Initials: E G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: 1st Div. Ammunition Col.

Date of Death: 02/05/1916

Service No: 340

Additional information: Son of Emily Ann Beckett, of 4, St. John's Place, Haver Lane, Haymarket, York, and the late John Beckett. Born at York.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 163. 19765.

Cemetery: YORK CEMETERY, Yorkshire

• 2 years later...

Researching two women who were victims of this raid - all I have on them is that they were sisters, both typists working for the North Eastern Railway at the time, one killed and the other seriously wounded.

I also have information on the elderly couple that were killed - apparently the husband was a pensioner of the North Eastern Railway too. Would appreciate their names and any information on them if anyone has it too if possible

• 6 months later...

Hi Richard

I have found this photocopy which I did about twenty years ago. (I think I did it in York reference Library) It is a map with details of Zeppelin raids over York in 1916.

post-95579-0-38770500-1360356607_thumb.j

Here is a larger version

• 1 year later...

Hi Rob L,

The Elderly couple who were killed in Upper Price St York were George and Sarah Avison. They are buried in York Cemetery. A picture of their house after the bombing has appeared recently due to the efforts of a local history group.

I hope this helps

• 6 months later...

Researching two women who were victims of this raid - all I have on them is that they were sisters, both typists working for the North Eastern Railway at the time, one killed and the other seriously wounded.

I also have information on the elderly couple that were killed - apparently the husband was a pensioner of the North Eastern Railway too. Would appreciate their names and any information on them if anyone has it too if possible

digging up this thread, you're not going to believe how small a world this is, the two women you mention were friends of my family (the Ryder side) during ww1. And indeed we have letters from them. I'll attach a transcribed copy of the most relevant.

regards,

Haydn

post-93786-0-81466600-1425667043_thumb.j

A follow up letter on the 25th June 1916, appears the family was the Chapman family.

regards,

Haydn

post-93786-0-37450700-1425669937_thumb.j

post-93786-0-15400500-1425670013_thumb.j

A follow up letter on the 25th June 1916, appears the family was the Chapman family.

regards,

Haydn

Fantastic detail - many thanks for posting

Annie Ryder (my relative) and Norah Chapmen were typists so maybe that is how they met. Annie used to work for Sir Edward Green, who made boilers and had a big factory in Wakefield, He lived in the Treasurer's house in York. He became a baronet and for many years was director of the Yorkshire and Lancashire railway.

Norah married an Arthur Wooding in the 1920's and eventually moved to Northampton, I have a picture of one daughter Eileen, but do not know if she had any more children. Also I have photographs of Annie and Norah on holiday in Scotland,

• 1 year later...

This is really interesting - our History Group found a copy of Norah's letter from hospital and are researching the impact of the First World War on our locality - the area where the air raid created most damage is only a few hundred yards away from where we live .....

Annie Ryder (my relative) and Norah Chapmen were typists so maybe that is how they met. Annie used to work for Sir Edward Green, who made boilers and had a big factory in Wakefield, He lived in the Treasurer's house in York. He became a baronet and for many years was director of the Yorkshire and Lancashire railway.
Norah married an Arthur Wooding in the 1920's and eventually moved to Northampton, I have a picture of one daughter Eileen, but do not know if she had any more children. Also I have photographs of Annie and Norah on holiday in Scotland,

Lancashire & Yorkshire (L&Y) railway company.

• 2 years later...

Adding to this thread of the Zeppelin raid on York, 102 years ago last night. I have this postcard 'inherited' from a collection belonging to my Great Aunts.  The postcard is a bit battered, looks as though it has been folded in half, but interesting to have. York is not shown on the card, I believe location of raids was officially withheld for some time so I don't know if this is an early card. It was printed in Hull. 

I also found an article in the York Press on the centenary of the attack  (but this iPad won't let me post the link! I will add later). 

Margaret

Edit: the link to York Press:  http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/14458398.Death_from_the_skies__the_great_Zeppelin_raid_of_1916_remembered/

image.jpeg

Edited by Margosh

Hi Margaret

This postcard was reproduced to cover different air raids simply by changing the information in the 'Press Bureau, Offical Message' box. I have an earlier one in my collection - same picture -  but regarding a Zeppelin Raid on 9 August 1915.

www.IanCastleZeppelin.co.uk

Author - 'Zeppelin Onslaught - The Forgotten Blitz 1914-1915'

Edited by Aspern
Missed info out

15 hours ago, Aspern said:

Hi Margaret

This postcard was reproduced to cover different air raids simply by changing the information in the 'Press Bureau, Offical Message' box. I have an earlier one in my collection - same picture -  but regarding a Zeppelin Raid on 9 August 1915.

www.IanCastleZeppelin.co.uk

Author - 'Zeppelin Onslaught - The Forgotten Blitz 1914-1915'

That is interesting, thank you. I am not a collector as such (the card came from Aunts who thankfully saved a lot of stuff!) but I will keep an eye out for any others in the set. Yorkshire family and although they never lived in York I did for a few years so there is a personal interest in this one too.