Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

zeppelin raid 31st May 1915

sean46

Evening all,

I wondered if anyone has any information regarding the Zeppelin raid on London on the night of the 31st May 1915?

I know the 1st bomb fell on 16 Alkham rd, Stoke Newington and another killed a couple at 186 Balls Pond rd, Hackney.

Im very interested in a bomb that i believe fell in Mildmay rd, Islington.

Any info regarding this raid would be most gratefully recieved.

All the best, Sean.

Hi Sean,Welcome to the Forum.

"On the 31st of May,the Military Zeppelin L.Z.38 ( which had made three previously unsuccessful attempts to reach London) succeeded in reaching the North-East section of the capital,where she dropped 89 incendiary bombs and 30 grenades,killing 7 civilians and injuring 35,9 British aeroplanes attempted to intercept her,but failed due mainly to the height at which the L.Z.38 operated.(10,000 feet and above)."From A Military Atlas of the First World War.

all the best Gary.

"On the 31st of May,the Military Zeppelin L.Z.38 ( which had made three previously unsuccessful attempts to reach London) succeeded in reaching the North-East section of the capital,where she dropped 89 incendiary bombs and 30 grenades,killing 7 civilians and injuring 35,9 British aeroplanes attempted to intercept her,but failed due mainly to the height at which the L.Z.38 operated.(10,000 feet and above)."From A Military Atlas of the First World War.

all the best Gary.

Sean

There is also an account of this raid on 31st May 1915 in 'Warneford VC' by Mary Gibson, published by the Fleet Air Arm Museum in 1979. The following is a short precis:

The LZ38 reached the Thames at 10am, in fine weather, with a light north to north west wind, the airship was sighted over Margate. It then proceeded to the Essex shore of the estuary and followed a curving inland course from Shoeburyness, over Billericay and Brentwood, arriving over London - the first attack being Stoke Newington about 11.20pm. It then proceeded in a loop over Hoxton, Shoreditch,Whitechapel, Stepney, West Ham and Leytonstone dropping about one ton of bombs (whose make up has already been mentioned) before passing over the Crouch at 12.30pm on the return journey. Throughout the raid the airship was unseen and almost unheard , due to its height, adding to the fear and uncertainty on the ground.

The Admiralty issued instructions to the press at the time that the exact localties affected, were not to be named, nor the observed course of the airships to be described or shown in the press by way of maps. Thus depriving the enemy of any confirmatory intelligence or any information to confirm the accuracy of their navigation. Only the briefest of reports were permitted - casualties could be ennumerated but only the minimum details in terms of damage.

Philip

all the best Gary.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the information and the welcome!

Best wishes, Sean.

Sean

There is also an account of this raid on 31st May 1915 in 'Warneford VC' by Mary Gibson, published by the Fleet Air Arm Museum in 1979. The following is a short precis:

The LZ38 reached the Thames at 10am, in fine weather, with a light north to north west wind, the airship was sighted over Margate. It then proceeded to the Essex shore of the estuary and followed a curving inland course from Shoeburyness, over Billericay and Brentwood, arriving over London - the first attack being Stoke Newington about 11.20pm. It then proceeded in a loop over Hoxton, Shoreditch,Whitechapel, Stepney, West Ham and Leytonstone dropping about one ton of bombs (whose make up has already been mentioned) before passing over the Crouch at 12.30pm on the return journey. Throughout the raid the airship was unseen and almost unheard , due to its height, adding to the fear and uncertainty on the ground.

The Admiralty issued instructions to the press at the time that the exact localties affected, were not to be named, nor the observed course of the airships to be described or shown in the press by way of maps. Thus depriving the enemy of any confirmatory intelligence or any information to confirm the accuracy of their navigation. Only the briefest of reports were permitted - casualties could be ennumerated but only the minimum details in terms of damage.

Philip

Philip, very interesting, many thanks for the information.

Best wishes, Sean.

Judging by Ian Castle's book* (he also posts here as Aspern) two bombs fell

either side of Mildmay Road. First bomb of the raid fell on 16 Alkham Road

Lz.38 then travelled over Shoreditch, whitechapel, Stepney, Bow and

then Leytonstone. It didn't pass over West Ham.

Ian gives the raid about four pages, including details of those injured,

eye witness accounts etc plus an extensive map of the route.

A house a few doors down from me now was hit during the raid of 17/18 August 1915.

In fact, every place I've lived over the years (Millwall, Whitechapel, Stepney,

Bow and Leyton) was bombed by zepps!

Kindest regards

* (ISBN 978-1-84603-245-5)

Judging by Ian Castle's book* (he also posts here as Aspern) two bombs fell

either side of Mildmay Road. First bomb of the raid fell on 16 Alkham Road

Lz.38 then travelled over Shoreditch, whitechapel, Stepney, Bow and

then Leytonstone. It didn't pass over West Ham.

Ian gives the raid about four pages, including details of those injured,

eye witness accounts etc plus an extensive map of the route.

A house a few doors down from me now was hit during the raid of 17/18 August 1915.

In fact, every place I've lived over the years (Millwall, Whitechapel, Stepney,

Bow and Leyton) was bombed by zepps!

Kindest regards

* (ISBN 978-1-84603-245-5)

Thats great, many thanks, i have just ordered Ians book on the strength of what you have told me.

I have lived in Mildmay road for the past 18 months and have been mainly interested in the bombing of the area during the second war, i was told by a neighbour that he thought bombs were dropped in the road during the first Zeppelin raid on London during the Great war, hence my interest.

Many thanks again, much appreciated.

Best wishes, Sean.

Evening all,

I wondered if anyone has any information regarding the Zeppelin raid on London on the night of the 31st May 1915?

I know the 1st bomb fell on 16 Alkham rd, Stoke Newington and another killed a couple at 186 Balls Pond rd, Hackney.

All the best, Sean.

Hi Sean - as 'At Home Dad' has mentioned, I did some detailed work on the 31st May Zeppelin raid on London while working on my book "London 1914-17: The Zeppelin Menace" published by Osprey Publishing in 2008. I can confirm that Mildmay Road did take a few hits. I only have the Met. Police reports with me at the moment but the following may interest you:

"One bomb fell in the garden of No.49 Mildmay Road, Islington, occupied by Walter England, setting alight to, and damaging the basement, and slightly injuring Arthur Warren, age 50, a lodger. Flames extinguished by the Fire Brigade.

"A bomb also fell on No.50 Mildmay Road, occupied by John Gibbon, setting the premises alight, and slightly damaging same. Fire extinguished by Fire Brigade. No personal injury.

"One unexploded bomb was found in the garden at the rear of 156 Mildmay Road. Police took possession of the garden, and prevented any person's approach until the bomb was taken away by the Military.

In addition bombs fell at 46 and 56 Mildmay Road but caused neither damage or personal injury.

~~~

Interestingly, according to the Police report, the delay to the Fire Brigade caused by the fires at 49 and 50 Mildmay Road prevented them arriving at the fire at 187 Balls Pond Road in time to extinguish the fire at that premises where Mr and Mrs Good perished.

Hope that is all of some interest.

Ian

Hi Sean - as 'At Home Dad' has mentioned, I did some detailed work on the 31st May Zeppelin raid on London while working on my book "London 1914-17: The Zeppelin Menace" published by Osprey Publishing in 2008. I can confirm that Mildmay Road did take a few hits. I only have the Met. Police reports with me at the moment but the following may interest you:

"One bomb fell in the garden of No.49 Mildmay Road, Islington, occupied by Walter England, setting alight to, and damaging the basement, and slightly injuring Arthur Warren, age 50, a lodger. Flames extinguished by the Fire Brigade.

"A bomb also fell on No.50 Mildmay Road, occupied by John Gibbon, setting the premises alight, and slightly damaging same. Fire extinguished by Fire Brigade. No personal injury.

"One unexploded bomb was found in the garden at the rear of 156 Mildmay Road. Police took possession of the garden, and prevented any person's approach until the bomb was taken away by the Military.

In addition bombs fell at 46 and 56 Mildmay Road but caused neither damage or personal injury.

~~~

Interestingly, according to the Police report, the delay to the Fire Brigade caused by the fires at 49 and 50 Mildmay Road prevented them arriving at the fire at 187 Balls Pond Road in time to extinguish the fire at that premises where Mr and Mrs Good perished.

Ian

Ian,

Thank you so much for that, fantastic!

very, very interesting.

I live at number 32 Mildmay rd so they were pretty close to home!

A neighbour told me he thought that bombs landed in the road dropped by the first Zeppelin raid on London, i also recall seeing a map that seemed to show that Mildmay road was hit but cant remember where i saw it.

Anyway, thank you again for the information, its much appreciated Ian.

Best wishes and a merry christmas, Sean.

ps have your book on order, looking forward to reading it.

• 1 year later...

Hi Ian (Aspern),

in your book: Ian Castle & Christa Hook. London 1914-17: The Zeppelin Menace. Osprey Publishing; 2008. ....

.... you mention on page 25 the L10's raid on Tyneside on 15 Jun 1915. Do you have further information in your files.. police reports etc on this raid. I do not have enough membership privileges to contact you directly about this. If Ian does not see this posting, perhaps someone else might give me Ian's contact details?

Regards,

Philip Strong

QUOTE (sean46 @ Dec 18 2009, 09:21 PM) Evening all,

All the best, Sean.

~~~

Ian

Hi Ian (Aspern),

in your book: Ian Castle & Christa Hook. London 1914-17: The Zeppelin Menace. Osprey Publishing; 2008. ....

.... you mention on page 25 the L10's raid on Tyneside on 15 Jun 1915. Do you have further information in your files.. police reports etc on this raid. I do not have enough membership privileges to contact you directly about this. If Ian does not see this posting, perhaps someone else might give me Ian's contact details?

Regards,

Philip Strong

Hi Philip

Yes, I'm still around. See my reply to your main query.

Ian

• 3 years later...

I have purchase Ian Castle's excellent book London 1914-17 The Zeppelin Menace. I am particularly interested as my husband's great grandfather, Isaac Sumbler lived at 51 Leconfield Road, Islington just a short distance from where the bombs were dropped. I have sent away for his death certificate as he died in Q2 1915 and I have a feeling it was something to do with the raid on the night of 31st May. However, the book says there were 7 people killed, but I can only count 5 names in the book. Do you think there is any chance he was one of the other 2? Also, I can find no trace of his wife Emma after that date and can find no record of her death. Trust this all make sense and if anyone can help, I'd be much obliged.

Jill

The casualty reports in the Times states that there were 6 killed (no names given in the report).

The Osprey book, London 1914-17, The Zeppelin Menace mentions 5 deaths.

Elsie Leggett
Henry Good
Caroline Good
Samuel Reuben
Lily Leahman (died 2 days later)

A Elizabeth Leggett also died later in hospital for injuries ( I can't remember where I found that info from online).

Craig

Evening all,

All the best, Sean.

The Nat Geo channel has a programme "London's Zeppelin Attacks" at 1pm on 30 June 2014...............might be interesting.

Andy.

I have purchase Ian Castle's excellent book London 1914-17 The Zeppelin Menace. I am particularly interested as my husband's great grandfather, Isaac Sumbler lived at 51 Leconfield Road, Islington just a short distance from where the bombs were dropped. I have sent away for his death certificate as he died in Q2 1915 and I have a feeling it was something to do with the raid on the night of 31st May. However, the book says there were 7 people killed, but I can only count 5 names in the book. Do you think there is any chance he was one of the other 2? Also, I can find no trace of his wife Emma after that date and can find no record of her death. Trust this all make sense and if anyone can help, I'd be much obliged.

Jill

Hi Jill

I'm glad to hear you have enjoyed my book. I have checked the names of those who died on 31st May and there is no sign of Isaac I'm afraid.

The deaths were:

Henry Good

Caroline Good

Elizabeth May Leggatt

Elsie Leggatt

Samuel Reuben

Lily Leahman

Eleanor Willis (died two days later, death attributed to shock caused by raid)

However, if Isaac's Death Certificate suggests otherwise I would really love to know.

Kind regards

Ian

Dear Ian,

Thank you so much for all your trouble.

I have now obtained a copy of Isaac's death certificate and he was not killed in the air raid, so that theory of mine wasn't correct. Very sadly he took is own life on 27th May, basically, due to pressure of work - such a waste.

Kind regards.

Jill Sumbler