Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeppelin L17 Raid On Nottingham September 1916

John Beech

Hello

I am currently researching the above Zeppelin which raided Nottingham in September 1916. Very little is written about this Zeppelin, with most books I have read only mentioning it's role as part of an overview of the Zeppelin raids. I have been in touch with the Zeppelin Museum in Tondem who have provided me details of the crew, but I would really like to know more about this actual raid. Very little is in the local archives and even local history books make very little mention of it.

Would anyone be able to suggest where I could find more out about this particular Zeppelin/raid? I have contacted the Zeppelin Museum at Friedrichshafen but am awaiting a reply

Many thanks

Regards

John Beech

John

Thomas Fegan's "The Baby Killers - German Air Raids on Britain in the First World War" (Pen & Sword 2002) has this to say on the Nottingham raid:

"The glow from Nottingham’s blast furnace chimneys made the city an easy target for Kaptinleutnant Herman Kraushaar, commanding L17, when he raided between 12.00 and 1.00 am on 24 September 1916. Eight high explosive and eleven incendiaries were dropped on what Kraushaar thought was Sheffield, killing three and injuring seventeen. The Midland Railway freight station was wrecked and damaged caused to the Great Central Railway Station and railway track. Bombs also affected Lister Gate, Greyfriar Gate and Broad Marsh. Little resistance was offered to the attack: a blanket of mist rising from the Trent obscured the German airship from below, whilst one of its bombs by fluke severed the telephone wires connecting the AA battery and searchlights at Sneinton, preventing their cooperation."

FYI, L17 took part in 11 raids. On 28 December 1916 it was burned out in Tondern's Toska shed due to a cross wind accident involving L24.

No doubt you've already seen this link regarding the raid, which is most informative:

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Letter-Chilwell-buses-row/story-12234933-detail/story.html

I trust that the above is of assistance.

David

Hi John

Zeppelin L17 was a 'p' Class Zeppelin introduced in 1915.

L17 held a volume of 1,126,400 cubic feet of hydrogen in 16 gas cells, was 536ft 5ins in length and 61ft 4ins in diameter. She achieved a speed of 58mph in trials. Her first flight took place on 20 October 1915 and she was commissioned two days later. Built at Friedrichshafen she was based at Nordholz from 22 October 1915 and moved to the base at Tondern on 17 August 1916. While at Nordholz her commander was Kptlt. Ehrlich and when moved to Tondern was commanded by Kptlt. Kraushaar. L17 was destroyed by fire in her shed at Tondern on 28 December 1916.

John

Have you looked for information in the local press? Here are some accounts of the raid taken from newspapers:

Zeppelin Raid on Nottingham, 23rd/24th September 1916

“It was after midnight when I first heard anything unusual. I had walked from the outside boundary of the town, and was in a street at the rear of a central thoroughfare, when I heard a soft droning, seemingly a good distance away.

“The continuance of the sound, and the sudden realisation that it had grown more insistent again arrested my attention some three or four minutes later, and I then recognised it as the throb of very powerful motors – which I knew could only means a Zeppelin. I have both heard and seen the sound of a Zeppelin’s engines described as “like the sound of three or four aeroplanes.” That is not so. I am well acquainted with the noise made by flying aeroplanes, and it bears little or no resemblance. The sound of a Zeppelin is more, shall I say, musical? Certainly it is less shrill, and not so evident.

“When the first bomb fell the droning of the engine ceased suddenly, and a blue light flashed across the sky, much the same as one sees summer lightning on a hot night. Immediately there came a bang and crash! A minute later two more crashes followed rapidly. Then came another and more again.

“While I was hesitating whether to seek shelter in a neighbouring entry or make a dash along the deserted street for the home of a friend I heard the droning right over my head. I heard it stop with a little crack, and then came an extraordinary whirring noise. Instantly there was a terrific crash, and a sheet of flame that almost blinded me. I had the presence of mind, helped by the wind from the explosion, to fling myself full length on the pavement in the shadow of the houses, and I lay there for a couple of minutes, my back covered with broken glass that dropped from the bedroom window of the house beside which I was stretched. The noise beggars description. All round I could hear the tinkling of glass; it sounded like a giant with a sledge hammer doing his best to ‘lay out’ a china shop in record time.

“Within a minute a second bomb came – I have since learned it was only a matter of 50 or 80 yards from the first, and when, afterwards, I got up from the pavement where I was lying, and walked to the spot, it took me only a minute and half. You may guess from that how far away I was. But I did not move until a third missile had come from the clouds.

“Later on I heard, quite plainly, the new engines of the Zeppelin accelerate their speed, and gradually the sound ceased as the craft made off.

“The thing that most impressed me was the entire absence of anything bordering on panic. After hearing the noise of the Zeppelin die away I walked to the spot where the second of the bombs I have more particularly described fell. It is a street, with houses and shops and an hotel. Not a single house had a whole pane of glass in its windows, yet, curiously enough, no structural damage of any kind was done. I found the occupants outside inspecting their premises by the light of their stars. There was no terror, such as the Huns are fond of describing in special cables from “London.” Certainly I hard one woman to a poor-class house call out, ‘O, God! My children!’ But the main thought of the dwellers of the street seemed to be who was going to pay for more glass to be put in the windows.

“While I was there, the door of one of the houses opened, and a man, who had evidently only just satisfied himself that the raid was over, came out. He had only a pair of trousers on, with his nightshirt tucked in on one side. He stood gazing at his glassless windows, muttered the surprised ejaculation ‘Hell!’ – and went in. A minute or two later I saw him nailing a blanket across the bedroom window.

“In another street close to where a bomb struck and demolished a house, two people, a man and a woman, were killed; while I was told that still further afield a third person was killed.

“A remarkable feature of the raid is the insignificant damage done to the buildings. Fewer than six premises were structurally damaged. In one case, where a bomb fell on the top of a warehouse, only the upper storey was damaged. In another case a missile went clean through a stores into the basement. Here again the damage can be remedied in a few days. The only buildings I saw wrecked on Saturday night were the home referred to, where the two people were killed, and a chapel. No military damage of any kind was done.

“The amount of glass shattered by the concussion, however, was prodigious, and a number of people were treated for cuts and flesh wounds, and also for shock. I have preserved a piece of glass that fell on me during the time I lay pressed up against that very friendly shelter of a house. To be within 50 or so yards of an exploding Zeppelin bomb is not an experience I should willingly seek on future occasions.”

‘Nottingham Evening News’, 26th September 1915

“IN AN EAST MIDLAND TOWN.

“Four People Dead and a Dozen Injured.

“14 BOMBS DROPPED.

“The following is the story of the Zeppelin visit to an East Midland town:-

“The Zeppelin approached from an easterly direction about half-past twelve, and bombs began to fall fast in the centre of the town. About 14 were dropped altogether. Three persons were killed and eleven injured, and one of these has since died in hospital. One of the dead is a soldier, who was in bed with his wife. An incendiary bomb came through the roof and fell on his chest. He was killed outright and his wife escaped uninjured. Another victim was a woman who has two sons at the front. Three soldiers were among several buried by the debris of three cottages which were completely destroyed. Several hours’ work was necessary to extricate those buried.

“A number of buildings, including shops and offices in the central part of the town, were slightly damaged, and there was a good deal shattered glass. A Primitive Methodist Chapel was set on fire by an incendiary bomb. The interior of the chapel was destroyed, and an organ, which had cost £1,000 to install, was burnt. One bomb penetrated several feet through the floor of the chapel, but did not explode.

“One bomb dropped on the platform of the railway station, but did not do much damage beyond the smashing of glass. Practically the same thing happened at another railway station, where a clock over the entrance was damaged.

“The fire brigade had a busy time. The explosions were very violent. In one place a mangle was blown from one house into another.

“A bomb buried itself in the municipal refuse heap, and another materially assisted demolition work which has been in progress for some time for the clearance of certain property.

“A Remarkable Escape.

“A bank manager’s premises had a wonderful escape. A bomb dropped through the roof, and passed through the bathroom, adjoining the bedroom in which the manager and his wife were sleeping. The separation wall was burst, the debris being scattered all round the bed. On the ground floor a marble slab was smashed like an eggshell, and the front door was blown from the hinges and locks and flung into the roadway. Fire also broke out, but in spite of all these extraordinary happenings the manager and his wife escaped unhurt.

“The airship left the town in a northerly direction after a visit lasting not more than ten minutes. During its stay over the town it was picked up by searchlights, and came under fire from anti-aircraft guns.

“Body Found in Ruins.

“Another story concerning the same town says:-

“The attack caused the deaths of two men and a woman and injuries to seven men, three women, and two children, besides occasioning damage to property, some of which was set on fire. One of the dead was dug out of a ruined house.

“The Zeppelin stayed in the neighbourhood about ten minutes, dropping 14 or 16 bombs, mostly of an incendiary character. The most serious injury to property was in a working-class district, and involved the complete destruction of two houses, where a woman was killed and four persons injured.

“The man who was mortally injured as sleeping at a house in another district, where the bomb crashed through the roof into a room below.

“Two bombs were dropped on a railway goods depot, falling through the glass roof and doing damage.

“The scene of one of the outbreaks of fire was a chapel. With the help of ambulance men and special constables the injured were quickly removed to hospitals. The latest reports indicate that the wounds of the injured, caused chiefly by splintered glass, are not serious.”

“One death occurred yesterday in the local hospital, but the remaining injured who were admitted are all reported to be making satisfactory progress.”

‘Nottingham Evening News’, 25th September 1916

And this, civil defence advice that appeared in the Nottingham press in July 1915:

"DO NOT BE ALARMED.

"AN AIR RAID MAY NEVER TAKE PLACE.

"Better be ready than unprepared.

"CITY OF NOTTINGHAM

"Protection against Raids by Hostile Aircraft.

"FOR THE GUIDANCE OF THE PUBLIC in the event of a raid by Hostile Aircraft on the City, the Local Emergency Committee have framed the under-mentioned instructions with regard to the measures to be taken for ensuring the safety and protection of the population, and it is earnestly requested that all Citizens will loyally assist the authorities by maintaining a calm demeanour, by avoiding panic, and by a willing and ready compliance with these instructions.

"Arrangements are being made with a view if possible to obtaining information as to Hostile Aircraft approaching or travelling in the direction of the City, and it is hoped to be able to give early intimation of any threatened attack by the simultaneous sounding of hooters in various parts of the City for a period of at least two minutes.

"If not such intimation is received, the first indication of a raid will in all probability be the noise caused by the explosion of bombs.

"Neither the Gas supply nor the Electricity supply will be turned off at the works, but all users of Gas and Electric Light are urgently requested to extinguish all lights upon their own premises and to turn off all taps and meters immediately upon the sounding of the hooters and to carefully avoid showing light of any description whatever.

"CITIZENS IN THE STREET should make their way as quickly as possible to the nearest houses or other accessible buildings, and remain under cover.

"Broken electric wires should be avoided.

"Persons in charge of horses should stand by their heads to keep them under control if it is impossible to gain refuge under cover.

"CITIZENS IN PRIVATE HOUSES, BUSINESS PREMISES, & OTHER BUILDINGS should, of course, remain indoors and should afford shelter to all persons seeking refuge. All windows and doors on the lower floors should be closed to prevent the admission of noxious gases. An indication that poison gas is being used will be that a peculiar and irritating smell may be noticed following on the dropping of the bomb.

"Crowding together on upper floors is dangerous.

"Private Fire Brigades should "stand by" ready for any emergency.

"Those owning fire appliances should have them overhauled and ready. Everyone should ascertain the position of the fire alarm post nearest to his or her house.

"PERSONS ASSEMBLED IN PLACES OF AMUSEMENT AND PLACES OF WORSHIP are requested to quietly leave the premises and to take shelter in the nearest available houses. Instructions have been issued for the emergency doors at places of amusement to be immediately opened.

"PARENTS OF SCHOOL-CHILDREN must on no account leave their homes to search for children attending schools.

"The Education Authorities are taking every precaution to ensure the safety of the children entrusted to their care should a raid be made during school hours, and full instructions have been given to the Head Teachers of all the Schools in the City as to the measures to be taken by them with regard to the safety of the children under their charge.

"The Watch Committee have given instructions for the immediate assembly at suitable points, should occasion arise, of the whole Police Force, including the Special Constables.

"Suitable Ambulance arrangements have been made. Members of Voluntary Aid Detachments with Medical Staff will be in attendance at the Guildhall and at the Bulwell Finishing Company’s Works at Bulwell.

"Working Parties to render prompt assistance in case of damaged buildings will be available.

"Arrangements have also been made for the attendance of qualified Veterinary Surgeons to deal with injured animals. Application for Veterinary Assistance should be made to the nearest Police Station.

"Dated this 7th day of July, 1915.

"J.H. GREGG, Mayor.

JOHN T. McCRAITH,

Chairman of Nottingham Emergency Committee."

‘Notts Local News’, 17th July 1915

Surely the advice that, "the first indication of a raid will in all probability be the noise caused by the explosion of bombs", is one of the greatest statements of the proverbial obvious ever.

Hope this is of interest.

Regards,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

John

Thomas Fegan's "The Baby Killers - German Air Raids on Britain in the First World War" (Pen & Sword 2002) has this to say on the Nottingham raid:

"The glow from Nottingham’s blast furnace chimneys made the city an easy target for Kaptinleutnant Herman Kraushaar, commanding L17, when he raided between 12.00 and 1.00 am on 24 September 1916. Eight high explosive and eleven incendiaries were dropped on what Kraushaar thought was Sheffield, killing three and injuring seventeen. The Midland Railway freight station was wrecked and damaged caused to the Great Central Railway Station and railway track. Bombs also affected Lister Gate, Greyfriar Gate and Broad Marsh. Little resistance was offered to the attack: a blanket of mist rising from the Trent obscured the German airship from below, whilst one of its bombs by fluke severed the telephone wires connecting the AA battery and searchlights at Sneinton, preventing their cooperation."

FYI, L17 took part in 11 raids. On 28 December 1916 it was burned out in Tondern's Toska shed due to a cross wind accident involving L24.

No doubt you've already seen this link regarding the raid, which is most informative:

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Letter-Chilwell-buses-row/story-12234933-detail/story.html

I trust that the above is of assistance.

David

David

Sorry for the delay in answering I have been away. Many thanks for your comments. I will look into this further

Regards

John

Hi John

Zeppelin L17 was a 'p' Class Zeppelin introduced in 1915.

L17 held a volume of 1,126,400 cubic feet of hydrogen in 16 gas cells, was 536ft 5ins in length and 61ft 4ins in diameter. She achieved a speed of 58mph in trials. Her first flight took place on 20 October 1915 and she was commissioned two days later. Built at Friedrichshafen she was based at Nordholz from 22 October 1915 and moved to the base at Tondern on 17 August 1916. While at Nordholz her commander was Kptlt. Ehrlich and when moved to Tondern was commanded by Kptlt. Kraushaar. L17 was destroyed by fire in her shed at Tondern on 28 December 1916.

Aspern

Many thanks for your reply. Kraushaar was killed in 1917 in L42. I am trying to find as much information as possible as their will be a major display at Nottingham Castle in 2014 concerning Nottingham and the war. I have volunteered my services in trying to find out more on the rai

Regards

JOhn

John

Have you looked for information in the local press? Here are some accounts of the raid taken from newspapers:

“It was after midnight when I first heard anything unusual. I had walked from the outside boundary of the town, and was in a street at the rear of a central thoroughfare, when I heard a soft droning, seemingly a good distance away.

“The continuance of the sound, and the sudden realisation that it had grown more insistent again arrested my attention some three or four minutes later, and I then recognised it as the throb of very powerful motors – which I knew could only means a Zeppelin. I have both heard and seen the sound of a Zeppelin’s engines described as “like the sound of three or four aeroplanes.” That is not so. I am well acquainted with the noise made by flying aeroplanes, and it bears little or no resemblance. The sound of a Zeppelin is more, shall I say, musical? Certainly it is less shrill, and not so evident.

“When the first bomb fell the droning of the engine ceased suddenly, and a blue light flashed across the sky, much the same as one sees summer lightning on a hot night. Immediately there came a bang and crash! A minute later two more crashes followed rapidly. Then came another and more again.

“While I was hesitating whether to seek shelter in a neighbouring entry or make a dash along the deserted street for the home of a friend I heard the droning right over my head. I heard it stop with a little crack, and then came an extraordinary whirring noise. Instantly there was a terrific crash, and a sheet of flame that almost blinded me. I had the presence of mind, helped by the wind from the explosion, to fling myself full length on the pavement in the shadow of the houses, and I lay there for a couple of minutes, my back covered with broken glass that dropped from the bedroom window of the house beside which I was stretched. The noise beggars description. All round I could hear the tinkling of glass; it sounded like a giant with a sledge hammer doing his best to ‘lay out’ a china shop in record time.

“Within a minute a second bomb came – I have since learned it was only a matter of 50 or 80 yards from the first, and when, afterwards, I got up from the pavement where I was lying, and walked to the spot, it took me only a minute and half. You may guess from that how far away I was. But I did not move until a third missile had come from the clouds.

“Later on I heard, quite plainly, the new engines of the Zeppelin accelerate their speed, and gradually the sound ceased as the craft made off.

“The thing that most impressed me was the entire absence of anything bordering on panic. After hearing the noise of the Zeppelin die away I walked to the spot where the second of the bombs I have more particularly described fell. It is a street, with houses and shops and an hotel. Not a single house had a whole pane of glass in its windows, yet, curiously enough, no structural damage of any kind was done. I found the occupants outside inspecting their premises by the light of their stars. There was no terror, such as the Huns are fond of describing in special cables from “London.” Certainly I hard one woman to a poor-class house call out, ‘O, God! My children!’ But the main thought of the dwellers of the street seemed to be who was going to pay for more glass to be put in the windows.

“While I was there, the door of one of the houses opened, and a man, who had evidently only just satisfied himself that the raid was over, came out. He had only a pair of trousers on, with his nightshirt tucked in on one side. He stood gazing at his glassless windows, muttered the surprised ejaculation ‘Hell!’ – and went in. A minute or two later I saw him nailing a blanket across the bedroom window.

“In another street close to where a bomb struck and demolished a house, two people, a man and a woman, were killed; while I was told that still further afield a third person was killed.

“A remarkable feature of the raid is the insignificant damage done to the buildings. Fewer than six premises were structurally damaged. In one case, where a bomb fell on the top of a warehouse, only the upper storey was damaged. In another case a missile went clean through a stores into the basement. Here again the damage can be remedied in a few days. The only buildings I saw wrecked on Saturday night were the home referred to, where the two people were killed, and a chapel. No military damage of any kind was done.

“The amount of glass shattered by the concussion, however, was prodigious, and a number of people were treated for cuts and flesh wounds, and also for shock. I have preserved a piece of glass that fell on me during the time I lay pressed up against that very friendly shelter of a house. To be within 50 or so yards of an exploding Zeppelin bomb is not an experience I should willingly seek on future occasions.”

“14 BOMBS DROPPED.

“The Zeppelin approached from an easterly direction about half-past twelve, and bombs began to fall fast in the centre of the town. About 14 were dropped altogether. Three persons were killed and eleven injured, and one of these has since died in hospital. One of the dead is a soldier, who was in bed with his wife. An incendiary bomb came through the roof and fell on his chest. He was killed outright and his wife escaped uninjured. Another victim was a woman who has two sons at the front. Three soldiers were among several buried by the debris of three cottages which were completely destroyed. Several hours’ work was necessary to extricate those buried.

“A number of buildings, including shops and offices in the central part of the town, were slightly damaged, and there was a good deal shattered glass. A Primitive Methodist Chapel was set on fire by an incendiary bomb. The interior of the chapel was destroyed, and an organ, which had cost £1,000 to install, was burnt. One bomb penetrated several feet through the floor of the chapel, but did not explode.

“One bomb dropped on the platform of the railway station, but did not do much damage beyond the smashing of glass. Practically the same thing happened at another railway station, where a clock over the entrance was damaged.

“The fire brigade had a busy time. The explosions were very violent. In one place a mangle was blown from one house into another.

“A bomb buried itself in the municipal refuse heap, and another materially assisted demolition work which has been in progress for some time for the clearance of certain property.

“A Remarkable Escape.

“A bank manager’s premises had a wonderful escape. A bomb dropped through the roof, and passed through the bathroom, adjoining the bedroom in which the manager and his wife were sleeping. The separation wall was burst, the debris being scattered all round the bed. On the ground floor a marble slab was smashed like an eggshell, and the front door was blown from the hinges and locks and flung into the roadway. Fire also broke out, but in spite of all these extraordinary happenings the manager and his wife escaped unhurt.

“The airship left the town in a northerly direction after a visit lasting not more than ten minutes. During its stay over the town it was picked up by searchlights, and came under fire from anti-aircraft guns.

“Body Found in Ruins.

“The attack caused the deaths of two men and a woman and injuries to seven men, three women, and two children, besides occasioning damage to property, some of which was set on fire. One of the dead was dug out of a ruined house.

“The Zeppelin stayed in the neighbourhood about ten minutes, dropping 14 or 16 bombs, mostly of an incendiary character. The most serious injury to property was in a working-class district, and involved the complete destruction of two houses, where a woman was killed and four persons injured.

“The man who was mortally injured as sleeping at a house in another district, where the bomb crashed through the roof into a room below.

“Two bombs were dropped on a railway goods depot, falling through the glass roof and doing damage.

“The scene of one of the outbreaks of fire was a chapel. With the help of ambulance men and special constables the injured were quickly removed to hospitals. The latest reports indicate that the wounds of the injured, caused chiefly by splintered glass, are not serious.”

“One death occurred yesterday in the local hospital, but the remaining injured who were admitted are all reported to be making satisfactory progress.”

And this, civil defence advice that appeared in the Nottingham press in July 1915:

"DO NOT BE ALARMED.

"CITY OF NOTTINGHAM

"FOR THE GUIDANCE OF THE PUBLIC in the event of a raid by Hostile Aircraft on the City, the Local Emergency Committee have framed the under-mentioned instructions with regard to the measures to be taken for ensuring the safety and protection of the population, and it is earnestly requested that all Citizens will loyally assist the authorities by maintaining a calm demeanour, by avoiding panic, and by a willing and ready compliance with these instructions.

"Arrangements are being made with a view if possible to obtaining information as to Hostile Aircraft approaching or travelling in the direction of the City, and it is hoped to be able to give early intimation of any threatened attack by the simultaneous sounding of hooters in various parts of the City for a period of at least two minutes.

"If not such intimation is received, the first indication of a raid will in all probability be the noise caused by the explosion of bombs.

"Neither the Gas supply nor the Electricity supply will be turned off at the works, but all users of Gas and Electric Light are urgently requested to extinguish all lights upon their own premises and to turn off all taps and meters immediately upon the sounding of the hooters and to carefully avoid showing light of any description whatever.

"CITIZENS IN THE STREET should make their way as quickly as possible to the nearest houses or other accessible buildings, and remain under cover.

"Persons in charge of horses should stand by their heads to keep them under control if it is impossible to gain refuge under cover.

"CITIZENS IN PRIVATE HOUSES, BUSINESS PREMISES, & OTHER BUILDINGS should, of course, remain indoors and should afford shelter to all persons seeking refuge. All windows and doors on the lower floors should be closed to prevent the admission of noxious gases. An indication that poison gas is being used will be that a peculiar and irritating smell may be noticed following on the dropping of the bomb.

"Those owning fire appliances should have them overhauled and ready. Everyone should ascertain the position of the fire alarm post nearest to his or her house.

"PERSONS ASSEMBLED IN PLACES OF AMUSEMENT AND PLACES OF WORSHIP are requested to quietly leave the premises and to take shelter in the nearest available houses. Instructions have been issued for the emergency doors at places of amusement to be immediately opened.

"PARENTS OF SCHOOL-CHILDREN must on no account leave their homes to search for children attending schools.

"The Education Authorities are taking every precaution to ensure the safety of the children entrusted to their care should a raid be made during school hours, and full instructions have been given to the Head Teachers of all the Schools in the City as to the measures to be taken by them with regard to the safety of the children under their charge.

"The Watch Committee have given instructions for the immediate assembly at suitable points, should occasion arise, of the whole Police Force, including the Special Constables.

"Suitable Ambulance arrangements have been made. Members of Voluntary Aid Detachments with Medical Staff will be in attendance at the Guildhall and at the Bulwell Finishing Company’s Works at Bulwell.

"Working Parties to render prompt assistance in case of damaged buildings will be available.

"Arrangements have also been made for the attendance of qualified Veterinary Surgeons to deal with injured animals. Application for Veterinary Assistance should be made to the nearest Police Station.

"J.H. GREGG, Mayor.

JOHN T. McCRAITH,

Surely the advice that, "the first indication of a raid will in all probability be the noise caused by the explosion of bombs", is one of the greatest statements of the proverbial obvious ever.

Regards,

Jim

Jim

Many thanks for your reply. Kraushaar was killed in 1917 in L42. I am trying to find as much information as possible as there will be a major display at Nottingham Castle in 2014 concerning Nottingham and the war. I have volunteered my services in trying to find out more on the raid amonst other things.

Apologies for the late reply I have been in Belgium

Regards

John

John

“14 BOMBS DROPPED.

“A Remarkable Escape.

“Body Found in Ruins.

"DO NOT BE ALARMED.

"CITY OF NOTTINGHAM

"J.H. GREGG, Mayor.

JOHN T. McCRAITH,

Regards,

Jim

Jim

Many thanks for your reply. Kraushaar was killed in 1917 in L42. I am trying to find as much information as possible as there will be a major display at Nottingham Castle in 2014 concerning Nottingham and the war. I have volunteered my services in trying to find out more on the raid amonst other things.

Apologies for the late reply I have been in Belgium

Regards

John

John

Interesting - glad that something's planned at the Castle for 2014.

I might be able to help with some other stuff re. Nottingham and the Great War. Let me know - via PM - if you think I could help in any way.

Regards,

Jim

John

Interesting - glad that something's planned at the Castle for 2014.

I might be able to help with some other stuff re. Nottingham and the Great War. Let me know - via PM - if you think I could help in any way.

Regards,

Jim

Jim

Glad you hear you would be able to help. The man responsible for the display is John Cotterill who works for The Mercians at Chetwyn Barracks. He came to the WFA Meeting at Ruddington and we 'volunteered' our services. He is looking for volunteers to undertake, research, conduct walking tours around the City and act as guides at the Castle. If you would like to learn more his email address is john.cotterill@btinternet.com

Regards

John