Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hauptmann Erich Linnarz and Zeppelin LZ38

nf3996

Can anyone tell me Erich Linnarz, commander of LZ38, the first Zeppelin to bomb London, survived the war? I believe LZ38 was later destroyed on the ground, but what became of Linnarz?

Many thanks,

Alan

Erich Linnarz ended the war with the rank of Major, survived the war and Germany's postwar troubles, and wrote an article

that was included in Sir John A. Hammerton's book, "The Great War...I Was There!" published in London, in 1938-39.

The title of Linnard's article was "I was London's First Zepp Raider."

Trelawney

LZ.38 was destroyed in its shed at Evere near Brussels just a week after its successful raid on London. Linnarz was then given command of LZ.86 on Eastern Front, and then later he commanded LZ.97, which raided England on night of 25/26 April 1916.

• 1 month later...

Just reviving this thread!

Does anyone know what year Erich Linnarz was born? I'd like to know how old he was when raiding England in 1915. I've been searching on the internet and haven't come up with any clues. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Robert Ludwig Theodor Erich Linnarz, born 24.7.1879 at Bederkesa, Kreis Lehe, Hannover, according to a record in the Bavarian Personnel Rosters on Ancestry.

(It's definitely him as it lists his raids with LZ38, LZ 86 and LZ97.)

Adrian

• 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Returning to this thread - Erich Linnarz commanded LZ38, LZ86 and LZ97. But it appears he was replaced as commander of LZ97 in the summer of 1916. Does anyone know what happened to him after that? From all the information I have seen, LZ97 was his last airship command, but he continued to serve, so what did he do?

Thanks for any help.

Ian

Hi,

though he was Prussian, he fought with a Bavarian unit so some of his military vita is accessible via ancestry (as mentioned by Adrian #6). Not by me, unfortunately, (cost) but by a friend who did me a favour. So from 1914-1917 (here ends his official Bavarian Stammlist for the time being) the engagements are as follows. Unfortunately the list does not say with which units he fought with on the ground as he seems not to have changed the original unit, but was only referred to the new ones, without belonging to them:

14.09.-25.10. 1914 Warsaw. On board Z IV

25.12.1914- 01.02.1915: Battle of Lys (ground)

From 29.04.1915 diffrent raids with LZ 38 among them as last one:

07.06.1915 Air-raid on Brussels

23.07.-03.08. Verdun (as ground trooper)

15.11.1915: LZ 86 Dünaburg (Eastern front)

26.04.1916 LZ 97 London

14.01.-15.03.1917  Somme (ground)

16.03.-09.04.1917 in front of Siegfriedstellung (ground)

09.04.-20.05. Springbattle Arras (ground)

21.05.1917-? French part of Flanders and Artois (ground)

hope it is helpful,

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Hi GreyC

That is really helpful. Thanks so much. So he went back to serve in the Army ground forces after the Army reduced its commitment to airships in the autunm of 1916.

Please thank your friend with access to Ancestry for looking this up for me. Much appreciated.

With kind regards

Ian

Very welcome!

Should I get more infos, then I will post them here.

Best,

GreyC

His private homebase during the war was Berlin, by the way.

Edited by GreyC