Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Henry Munday

Andrew Smith

G'day All,

I am still on my quest regarding Aussies in the RNAS. I have revisited Albert Munday,he lived in Canada pre and post war and was an author, journalist etc.

I have most of his war career sorted, his post war carrer is also covered but what I do not have is the date of his death and the place of his death. If any of the Canadian forumites can help, I would be forever in your debt.

Regards,

Andrew

I am afraid all I know about this fellow comes from the couple of references to him in S.F. Wise, Canadian Airmen and the First World War. I quote the following:

" Albert Henry Munday, born in Melbourne, Australia, the son of an English Lawyer, was a reporter for the Toronto Telegram at the time he joined the RNAS in 1916. His educational background included Eton College, St Boniface College, Manitoba, and Queen’s University at Kingston. (After the war he took a doctorate at Columbia University.) While on active service, Munday published The Eyes of the Army and Navy: Practical Aviation (New York and London 1917), an informative and reliable guide to every aspect of airmanship, including contemporary tactics. A prolific writer in a number of fields after the war and one of the founders of the Toronto Flying Club, Munday published an updated and expanded version of his 1917 guide at the beginning of the Second World War (Practical Flying in War and Peace, Toronto 1940). His brothers WA. and E.R. Munday (KIA 5 Aug. 1918), also from Toronto, served in the RAF as well. "

Perhaps someone from Toronto could scrounge up something.

Is there a Canadian equivalent of a "Who's Who"? Munday's literary exploits (he wrote novels as well, "No Other Gods" probably the most famous) should have earned him a place in such a publication.

• 1 year later...
I am afraid all I know about this fellow comes from the couple of references to him in S.F. Wise, Canadian Airmen and the First World War. I quote the following:

" Albert Henry Munday, born in Melbourne, Australia, the son of an English Lawyer, was a reporter for the Toronto Telegram at the time he joined the RNAS in 1916. His educational background included Eton College, St Boniface College, Manitoba, and Queen’s University at Kingston. (After the war he took a doctorate at Columbia University.) While on active service, Munday published The Eyes of the Army and Navy: Practical Aviation (New York and London 1917), an informative and reliable guide to every aspect of airmanship, including contemporary tactics. A prolific writer in a number of fields after the war and one of the founders of the Toronto Flying Club, Munday published an updated and expanded version of his 1917 guide at the beginning of the Second World War (Practical Flying in War and Peace, Toronto 1940). His brothers WA. and E.R. Munday (KIA 5 Aug. 1918), also from Toronto, served in the RAF as well. "

Perhaps someone from Toronto could scrounge up something.

Kate Munday works with me here at dean@scarboroughcupw.org She would like to correspond with you about her grandfather.

Dean Roosevelt

G'day All,

I am still on my quest regarding Aussies in the RNAS. I have revisited Albert Munday,he lived in Canada pre and post war and was an author, journalist etc.

I have most of his war career sorted, his post war carrer is also covered but what I do not have is the date of his death and the place of his death. If any of the Canadian forumites can help, I would be forever in your debt.

Regards,

Andrew

Kate Munday can be reached at 12-130 Dynamic Drive, Scarborough, Ontario M1V 5C9. She is his granddaughter, and would like to hear from you

Dean,

Thank you for the information. I have sent you a PM and I will write to Kate or she can email me at the email address I sent you. Finding information on A.H. Munday has been a 3 year quest for me!!!

Regards,

Andrew

This is all I have - I'm sorry I don't have any more. Here is the transcription of the first article I found:

CPT. MUNDAY IN ZEPP CHASE

FEAT SHARED BY CITY FLIER.

In Fight With Zeppelin and Destroyers with Anti-Aircraft Guns, Seaplane Wins in North Sea.

London, May 17. - Capt. Albert H. Munday, son of E. J. Munday, Toroto, was one of the officers who recently took part in the fight with the Zeppelin sighted in the North Sea by the seaplane commanded by Capt. T. C. Pattinson, of Leeds.

The Zeppelin immediately attempted to get the advantage of height by throwing out bombs, discharging a quantity of water ballast and creating a smoke screen. The seaplane, however, kept her well in view, firing many rounds into the Zeppelin, which as she rose began to discharge material overboard to further lighten herself.

After 25 minutes she was in such difficulties that she was forced to retreat to the German coast. Six enemy destroyers then appeared with anti-aircraft guns. Five minutes later the seaplane fractured her oil pipe, requiring a descent upon the water, where the fracture was repaired with tape. The seaplane then returned to its base, having sustained no damage or casualties.

Capt. Munday was some time flying in France, where he was injured in testing a new machine. Two of his brothers, E.R. and W.A. Munday, are also serving in the Flying Service.

Capt. Albert H. Munday is a former Toronto newspaper man, on the staff of the Telegram, and is the author of the instructional publication "The Eyes of the Army and Navy." He is a son of E. J. Munday, a salesman of 30 Fernwood Park, and is 26 years old. He went overseas as a lieutenant in the Royal Naval Air Service, and was promoted to be captain two months ago.

Capt. Munday was home last summer recovering from severe injury to his shoulder received when his machine was brought down by enemy gun fire. He returned overseas just before the Halifax disaster, sailing from that port.

The oldest of the three brothers, Edward R. Munday, was in a law office in Winnipeg when he enlisted with the Fort Garry Horse. After some time in the land forces as sergeant, he transferred to the Air Service, and is now at a seaplane base in England, where he has won his rank of observer lieutenant. He is a good athlete, won honors in swimming contests, and holds a life-saving medal. He is 30 years of age.

The younger brother, Walter, who is 22, also enlisted in Winnipeg, where he was employed in the Dominion Bank, and, like his brother, transferred to the Air Service, He is now a cadet at a Royal Air Force station in England.

Toronto Evening Telegram - May 17th, 1918

I submitted this and another article to the Canadian Virtual Memorial last year. To view the the original of this article that includes photographs of the Munday brothers, and one more article, go to this following link and click on view photos:

Munday articles