Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeppelin L14 raid on northern England

deckard2005

Dear All

I'm researching the raid of the L14 over Yorkshire on 25th September 1916.

I have seen a few book sources, but if anyone can help with information I'd be miost grateful. I am particularly intersted in the AA battery which drove the Zeppelin away from heading further south west towards Leeds.

As far as I know the gun and search light were based somewhere around Collingham, East Keswick and/or Compton. I have been unable to find any references to this emplacement in official records, but am hoping someone out there has a better knowledge of such things. Also I don't even know what kind of gun it would have been!

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

I can't help with the sort of detailed questions which you ask, but thought the following pictures maybe of some interest. Obviously the Zeppelin dropped a bomb in the vicinity, and a souvenir hunter was at the ready.

Regards,

Spud

In case the brass label was not clear, in the above picture.

p.s I would be interested in any record you may have of the bomb been dropped.

Regards,

Spud

Hi Andrew.

The following is extracted from a publication entitled "Knights Templar", The Copmanthorpe Squadrons of the Royal Flying Corps 1916 to 1918.

On September 25th, 1916, York again was visited by the German airships. "L14", Hauptman K. Manger, dropped nine bombs at about 11 pm on this night, destroying one house and no personal injury or deaths resulted. By this time an anti-aircraft gun had been added to York's defenses, being sited in Acomb (Andrew, i think the location was in the area of "The Mount"). It was accurate attention of the crew of this ordnance that dissuaded further destruction to York by "L14". Having moved inland towards Leeds, "L14" dropped more bombs in the Wetherby area before turning east. 33 Squadron pilots reported searchlight activity around Wetherby, they were still Bramham Moor based, but failed to make contact.

Andrew. The only searchlight site known to me in the Wetherby area was located just south of Kirk Deighton and, as far as i was aware, was Second World War. I have found no reference in the past to any other sites in the area. However, in my teens (along time ago!!), i did find reference to the airships activities in the area. I think, and time fades the memory, it was a local Doctor who published it, name of Hargreaves?

There was a reference to the Gondola being lowered, somewhere over Harewood. The observer, on noticing the bend in the River Wharfe, assumed it was the Aire and consequently started dropping bombs, some falling in that locality (which fits in with what Spud has), i believe, some at East Keswick and Collingham. In the publication, there was also an amusing anecdote about the local Bobby at Wetherby, diving for cover behind a large wall on Westgate as a very low Zepp roared over head!!

It would be great if you could find a copy.

Hope that is of some help.

Regards, Chris.

Just been thinking here Andrew.

I know that the local Grange Park at Wetherby, was used as a training ground for Royal Artillery. the 155th (Coal Owners Own) were the first to use it. It was susequently used by other units throughout the war, Wetherby becoming a billeting town. It could just be possible that there was some anti-aircraft facility at that location?

Just a thought.

Good luck in your research.

Chris.

Chris and Spud

Thanks to both of you - some more stuff to work on here!

I'm putting together a package of info which Harewood House may wish to use as a display.

I'm off to German y for a hol in July and will be visiting the museum at the old Naval Airship station at Nordholz, so I'm hoping to get more info on the L14 and maybe even German records relating to the raid.

I saw that Kuno Manger was one commander of L14 but I had thought at the time that it was Alois Boecker

Cheers

Andrew

Just a bit more for you Andrew.

My geography of York is terrible, wouldn't mind, only live a few miles away but here we go.

Location of Acomb AA Gun;

Gun was sited on Severous Hill, the high ground to the south of Poppleton Road, opposite the school, near to the present day Severous water tower. The Officer Commanding was billetted in the house next to the present day Acomb Fire Station.

Regards, Chris.

Andrew,

I am researching the raid on Sheffield by L-22 on the same night.

A description of L-14’s raid is held at the National Archives in “Air Raids 1916 (23 Sept to 2 Oct 1916)” contained within AIR 1/584/16/15/184. After describing the attacks on York, Pilmoor, Dunkeswick and Harewood it goes on to say:

“The airship, now going east, was picked up by the mobile searchlight at Collingham; on getting to the beam she steered direct to the light, dropping three H. E. bombs, one of which severed telegraphic communications between the gun and the light. Nine rounds were fired by the gun, and the airship went off north-east, flying high. She was next reported crossing the North-Easton Railway main line at Tollerton at 12.50 am; at 12.55 am she was between Easingwold and Strensall, at 1.15 am at Rillington, east of Malton and at 1.30 am she went to sea at Scarborough”

This file (at least I think it’s the same file) also contains reports from some AA guns firing on Zeppelins. I’ve only looked for those relating to L-22 but there might be some relating to L-14.

Regards

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

I think Mark Marsay at Great Northern Publishing (publishers of The Great War magazine) is an authority on the Yorkshire attack and wrote a book about it.

Check the website for contact details.

Not exactly relevant but here's something from L32. Also got some eye witness reports of L.15 / L.21 / L31 / L.32.

Regards Steve.