The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tommy's War

Moonraker

"Tommy" in this case is not a soldier but Thomas Livingstone, a Glaswegian shipping clerk who failed several medical examinations and remained a civilian throughout the war. His diaries were discovered by an antiques dealer in a shoebox at an auction and were featured on BBC's "Antiques Roadshow". They describe his daily routine at home and work, the weather, concern about his wife's health, worries about increasing shortages as hostilities progressed, and war news.

The layout of the book is interesting, verbatim transcriptions being interspersed with reproductions of selected pages, Thomas's sketches and background illustrations. There are some very useful footnotes (in rather small type) and editor's descriptions of life and times in Glasgow. All told, it's a good account of the rising prices and economies forced on civilians during the war.

Tommy's War was published at £20 by HarperCollins in 2008, ISBN 978-0-00-728067-4. It has 382 pages.

Moonraker

i borrowed a copy from the local library , really enjoyed reading it. a glaswegian would really be in tune with it . mike.

I've read the book twicew and I found it very enlighting concerning every day life for the folk who stayed home. Also the medical side was interesting as everything had to be paid for. We don't know the half of it 90 years on.

Have had book for couple of years now. I bought it in Tesco for £10

• Admin

I read this but became a little suspicious when the entry for the 1st July 1916 read 'the big push has started' or the fall of Kut recorded on the day it fell, there were many other anomalies, for example the first bombing raid on London was subject to censorship for a couple of days but was faithfully recorded. As the manuscript was 'discovered' on the Antiques Roadshow, the provenance seemed a bit dubious. Yet another 'newly discovered'memoir.

Ken

• 4 months later...

Those who enjoyed reading 'Tommy's War' (and, I admit, I did find the Pooteresque observations and characterful line drawings engaging) may be interested to learn that 'Tommy's Peace'is to be published on 30th September by Mainstream Press, priced at £20.