The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Dandy Ninth - Royal Scots

Tom A McCluskey

Hi All,

Whilst up in Dundee, I chanced upon this picture of the 9th (Highland)Bn, Royal Scots T.F. Does anybody know the building where it was taken? The photo has the following written on the back:

Snap shot taken the first time the colours were out at the C*g Parade. Dae ye ken anybody? Write soon.

It was sent on the 21 Mar 1910 and it is addressed to:

No 18566 Sapper Richard Smith

38th Company

Royal Engineers

Elphinstone Barracks

Plymouth

England

Hope this is of interest

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1206527237.jpg

Tom,

Seeing the blind groundfloor windows made me think of the Bank of England. Unlikely venue for a Scots Regimental colours commissioning perhaps?

Ian

post-7046-1206529614.png

The august 1914 location is given as East Claremont Street, Edinburgh and the building does have the look of an Edinburgh chuch/hall/bank about it. I'll try and swing through that area on the way home.

Hi Tom love a challange especially when the bogging Royals are in the frame (friendly banter from an ex RHF man), if we are looking at the old TA centre at East Claremont Street this could be outside the church on Broughton Place, similar architecture but there again isn't the New Town all the same. Lovely photo, which battalion was based at Glencorse the old Scottish Infantry Depot (where I served in the 80's)?

Cheers,

Rob

Rob, the church in Bellevue Place is going to be my first port of call, followed by the one at the roundabout at the foot of Broughton Street, then the one in Broughton Place, which I think is an antique dealer now. That is the problem, the New Town does all look the same.

Hi Heid the Ba',

Yes I go with you on Bellevue but as you said we are a wee bit spoilt for choice in that neck of the woods!

Cheers,

Rob

Sorry couldn't find it, take your pick from:

1. It is there but I missed it.

2. It was there but isn't anymore

3. It is somewhere else.

Rob B's call of Broughton Place (now Lyon and Turnbull's showroom) was the closest to it, but not it.