The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Campaign of the Marne 1914

Al Parsons

Has anyone an opinion on this book? On the cover of the paperback, John Keegan is quoted as saying: "A Masterly Account of the First World War in the West".

Would be interested in knowing how much of the book is devoted to (1) the evolution of the various war plans and the march/retreat through Belgium as opposed to (2) the Battle of the Marne itself? I am interested mainly in the latter.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't read this one. I just loooked at the Amazon blurb. 460 pp is a hefty book. Looks as though it covers all of the build up, Schlieffen etc. but there is still plenty of room for a description of the series of battles which we call THE Battle of the Marne. If you do plump for it, I'd be interested to hear your verdict.

Well, its a relatively inexpensive book and, at 460 odd pages, it does have some heft. Also, Keegan's endorsement is a plus. I think I might go for it. Stay tuned.

Al, it is superb. Highly recommended. Tyng has brought together information from multiple sources. His style is very readable and he captures the drama of the campaign. The maps are quite good. One of the best accounts of the opening weeks of the war, IMHO.

Robert

I bought a modern reprint when about to take a train journey, thinking its age might tell against it (but better than anything else on sale there) - but I was impressed and think it a very good account of that period.

Edwin

I've just ordered it through Abesbooks so I should have it in my hot little hand by the end of February. I shall come back in March with a review.

• 3 months later...
Guest LostVictory

I have read Sewell Tyng’s “The Campaign of the Marne”, and found it to be an interesting book the opening campaign on the Western Front. Like other Great War books concerning the opening days of the war, Tyng explains his version of the Schlieffen Plan with great detail. However, one of the book’s biggest faults concerns the author’s limited explanation of the French Plan XVII. Tyng does not offer specific references as to what are the design and the direction of this plan. The author fails to provide any major criticism of the plan, nor towards how the French executed it. Tyng finds fault with several of the leading French commanders concerning their incompetence or timidity towards the enemy except for Joffre. The French did very little against the Germans during this invasion, and in fact, were throw out after a short period of time, contrary to the idea of the Schlieffen Plan.

I wanted to know more information concerning the objectives behind the French Plan, besides the idea they were trying to reclaim the provinces of Alsace and Lorraine, which I believe the French had disputed as being not one of their goals for this war. Getting pushed out of Germany early in this war was a major factor for the forth coming Battle of the Marne, as Tyng indirectly points out in his book. This reversal allows Joffre to reform his lines and reconfigure the armies.

Tyng refusal to criticize Joffre during the Battle of the Frontiers is very frustrating to understand, since the second half of the book concerns Tyng’s claim the Joffre was indeed, the real hero at Marne by his anticipation when to launch the counter attack. Tyng devotes a good portion of his book for Joffre’s defense against supports of Gallieni over which commander ordered the attack.

The second part of the book becomes an apologist for Joffre. Tyng does not care to fully explain what happen to the French army at the Battle of the Frontiers, or why northern France was exposed for an invasion. Why does Tyng refuse to address the decision not to reinforce northern France with more forts or troops since this region contains most of France’s heavy industries, along with coal and iron ore deposits? These are serious questions that are not address in this book. Tyng, instead, wants you to believe that Joffre won a great victory at Marne due to his talents as a commander and not because of luck or another French commander decisions.

• 7 months later...
Tyng explains his version of the Schlieffen Plan with great detail. However, one of the book’s biggest faults concerns the author’s limited explanation of the French Plan XVII. However, one of the book’s biggest faults concerns the author’s limited explanation of the French Plan XVII. Tyng does not offer specific references as to what are the design and the direction of this plan. The author fails to provide any major criticism of the plan, nor towards how the French executed it. Tyng finds fault with several of the leading French commanders concerning their incompetence or timidity towards the enemy except for Joffre.

Tyng devotes a complete chapter ( Chapter II) on Plan XVII. In fact he writes 9+ pages on the Schlieffen Plan and 11+ pages on Plan XVII and is the most detailed explanation of Plan XVII I have read to date . On page 16 he clearly states " ... Plan XVII was not strictly speaking a plan of operations, for it did not purport to map out a whole campaign designed to defeat the enemy and achieve final victory, but merely established the method and place of concentration, fixed the composition of the respective armies and declared the Commander's intent to assume the offensive." He then goes on to explain that " While the provisions of Plan XVII necessarily limited the French High Command in the application of its strategy , Joffre took the position that the operations of the field armies after concentration rested wholly within the responsibility of the Commander in Chief, and that a wide margin of discretion should be allowed on any preconceived plan to permit of variations to suit developments" Thus I can't see how Tyng can be criticised for not "offer[ing] specific references as to what are the design and the direction of this plan. " Nor do I agree with any of the other criticisms in the above post.

The Campaign of the Marne by Tyng is a superb history of the campaign and is the best book I have read on the opening campaign on the Western Front. This is history pitched at the strategic and operational levels of war, with tactical actions interspersed that demonstrate the effects of the friction of war. Tyng's style is concise and very readable. The chapters are short, from 4 to 12 pages, which makes it fast paced, enjoyable and easy to maintain a clear understanding of a complex and vast canvas of interlocking battles. It is precise in its narrative and fair and balanced in its analysis of the various actions fought by the contending armies and of the decisions of the opposing commanders. It is a benchmark of how good military history should be written.

The book opens with a chapter each on the Schlieffen Plan and Plan XVII which provide valuable insights into just how much Joffre was aware of a possible German thrust through Belgium and the fact that Plan XVII was a concentration plan rather than a plan of campaign. This is followed by a comparison of the opposing armies: German, French, Belgian and British.

"The Campaign of the Marne" is actually a masterful account of the opening campaign all along the Western Front during August and September 1914, not just The Battle of the Marne. Thus it opens with the German invasion of Belgium and the fighting to capture the fortress of Leige. It then addresses the various Battles of the Frontiers from Belgium through to the Swiss border, covering the actions of the six French and seven German Armies, the Belgians and the BEF. These chapters are not just narrative; Tyng comments on the implications of each action in relation to the overall plans and intentions of the opposing commanders which are not only valuable but provide context to the outcome of the campaign.

The Allied retreat and the German advance makes interesting reading - as the mistakes on each side and the friction of war affect the outcome of battles and missed opportunities while Joffre, the French Commander-in-Chief, sets in train the forces and deployments that made the Battle of the Marne possible. The chronological events that led to the Allied victory on the Marne are clearly described and in doing so Tyng corrects a good many misconceptions and myths, not the least of which are who was the real architect and advocate of the French counter-attack and who was actually responsible for ordering the initial German retirement; all supported by documentary evidence in the appendices.

At the same time the battles around Nancy and Verdun are described in sufficient detail to maintain a sound understanding of what was occurring across the whole front. The book concludes with a summary of the German retreat to the Aisne and the desultory Allied "pursuit" followed by brief chapters on the Marne in retrospect, legends and myths and an analysis of Joffre. 20 very good sketch maps support the narrative and allow the reader to readily follow the complexity of this vast and fast moving campaign.

Tyng considers the Allied victory on the Marne was due to Joffre's generalship and strategic grasp of events immediately after the Battles of the Frontiers, mistakes on the part of the German commanders and that perennial problem, the friction of war. It is hard to contest this conclusion. ( Taken from my review at Amazon.com)

Highly recommended. Buy it, you won't be disappointed. Copies available here http://www.amazon.com/Campaign-Marne-Sewel...1474&sr=1-1

Cheers

Chris