The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Journey of Remembering

tommy mcclimonds

Folks

According to an advert in todays Belfast Newletter the above book will be "officially" launched by the Lord Mayor of Belfast and representatives of those who brought the project to fruitition on 31st March 2009. There are apparently over 7000 names listed as well as 16 pages of pictures, taken during the Great War as well as some of the present day war memorials. You can order a copy in advance but the book will not be despatched until after the 31st March. Cost will be £15.00 or £14.99 depending what part of the advert you are reading!

Regards, Tommy.

Tommy,

Could i ask a favour. Can you keep me posted as to where you can get a copy.

Just looked at the web-site and had a bit of a surprise.

One of the [indirect] family who served with the Canadians, J. Atkinson, who we thought had got home safely is listed as killed in June 1918.

The family were not aware of this.

I was looking for his brother John Mercer Atkinson, killed 1st July, there is nothing to say they were brothers, which is a bit of a shame.

Rob

Rob

I will pick up a couple of copies when it's released and will hold until your next over or else post on. Looks like there could be a few surprises as well as some omissions in it for all when it hits the streets. I know that this is one book the WWI Belfast experts are looking forward to. There will be many hours on a Saturday morning spent over coffee mulling over the contents of this one. I know what it's like with a relatively small provincial town and district, a city like Belfast would just be a nightmare. As my old dad used to say - "it's a poor day when you don't learn something!"

Regards, Tommy.

looking forward to the book....but my point is I hope that it just isnt like a recent experience I had recently...a researcher approached me with a file that must have made a hole in the ozone layer, proudly he announced that this was the definitive list of all men from Belfast area that died in ww1...a quick look through it and i realised that he had went to the sdgw disc and typed in Belfast in the birth field and then hit print....I don't know but does anyone think that its a bit disrespectful to those that laid dowm their life but aren't included on the disc/or included but under a different field to be missed out on a definitive list?

but fair play to those that took the time and effort.

post-43613-1238105781.jpg

Copy of the detail in News Letter. The book can be pre ordered but not for release until the 31st March 2009. Priced at £15

Regards

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

The people who compiled the book realised that it might not be a definitive reference, despite the fact that they went to some length in researching it - including placing ads in the Belfast Telegraph, Belfast News Letter and the Irish News asking for contributions.

The associated website therefore will include the names and details of any men/women not included in the book.

PGL - liked the pic! Well done.

Des

PGL - liked the pic! Well done.

Des

Thanks Des. :)

It was a great evening, finally getting to meet Jimmy Taylor in person and, of course, Derek Symth who did an astonishing amount of work to bring everything together and helping to make it all possible. Derek even arranged to have Willie McFadzean's actual Victoria Cross present at the launch - absolutely priceless.

I think "Journey of Remembering" is one of the most important books of the year.

But then with my Great Uncle on the back cover, I might be more than a little biased. ;)