The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

School Event Remembrance Day

KIRKY

Been asked to put on a "show" for my old school to represent WW1 theme. I have been putting together information on Old boys who died and served during both Wars but also want to stage a mini exhibition/information event.

Thinking of asking if any of the children ( aged 8 to 12) have relatives from the Wars so we can look into then prior and during the 2 days. Also getting together complete WW1 uniform on a dummy and will take some of the artifacts we have found over the years as well as medal sets etc. The 2 day event will finish with a Remembrance Day Church Service and I think they will read out the names of the casualties.

Any other suggestions that any of you have experienced?

tony

Tony

Having been regularly involved in Remembrance events at a Primary School the topic that regularly seems to be of interest is 'What did you eat in the War?' - that applies to WW1 and WW2.

Mike

I have sometimes wondered if these sort of events can be made more "relevant" if you are able to start by talking about someone from the school (or town) who has been killed in recent or current conflict (say Iraq2), and then step back via Iraq1, the Falklands, Korea, and WW2 to WW1. You start with a conflict about which they are aware and then step back in units of approximately their lifetimes to WW1 and then compare total Iraq casualties to say the first hour of 1 July 1916. It helps to give perspective and scale.

David

Good points there David - amazing comparisons too, I have a photo of my youngest son in a trench taken in S Afghanistan in 2006 which would not have been out of place in France in 1916.

Good luck Tony

Lest We Forget

Martin

Good points, how do we handle the food issue, have never really thought of modern day comparisons which we could show them, Bully Beef? I do in fact have a WW1 biscuit I can show them.

tony

How about showing some film of life in the trenches?

There are dozens of clips on Youtube available and I assume your school already has a system set up for this sort of thing. It might just be a case of clicking on a few links to show them on screen in fullscreen view.

Like this one, for example:

I've used short clips to give me a bit of a breather whilst doing talks. They're very useful.

Good points, how do we handle the food issue, have never really thought of modern day comparisons which we could show them, Bully Beef? I do in fact have a WW1 biscuit I can show them.

tony

A tin of Corned Beef and a tin of Spam (spam, spam, wonderful spam) and some jars of potted meat paste would do for a start.

Letters can also bring the time alive. Not only letters from the front line (was it 'Dear America' which used real letters from Vietnam?) but letters written by the people from the war-torn land. (Maybe forum members have material?? Even recent past?)

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'show', but I assume a selection of activities. Maybe the Head of Drama could work with you to enable the students to create short, probably improvised, drama pieces from stimuli in their drama lessons. I think involvement can have real impact. (Eg soldier writing letter home, do this by candlelight or torch, speak thoughts; enacting short episode in near-dark with torches; individual family members recall a lost brother or son in monologue; receiving letter from home with news...)

In your situation, I might ask to talk to interested staff to see what they can offer and co-ordinate.

Gwyn

Food issue - talk to the kitchen staff. They might be able to do a Wartime Menu (of sorts).

If the children can't taste food (for hygiene) then get comparable smells. (Pass samples round, sniff, guess what they are. Also demo smells of gases.)

Hello Tony

Something about the treatment and evacuation of casualties might tie in with the idea about "stepping back" from modern conflicts to WW1. For example, there was no penicillin in WW! but it was a life-saver in WW2. It would also give you the chance to look at the work of the nurses, and bodies like the WVS, which might help to involve your girls more.

You might also looki at "the home front" - effects of rationing (which resulted in the "baby boomers" being given a much healthier diet than some of today's children!), involvement of Boy Scouts and others as messengers and plane-spotters in home defence, and perhaps even the psychological effects of being under nightly bombing (though this might be a bit heavy for your children).

Ron

It's worth remembering that it's not all about the Western Front, something about the Navy and RNAS/RFC/RAF mightn't go amiss. Perhaps a short bit about Boy Seaman Jack Cornwell VC would bring home the age of some of those who served as he was only 16 when he died. And he was a boy scout too.

Do a search on You Tube for 'Bonny Woodgreen' - you'll find loadsa choirs doing it - great, little known WW1 song.

You could get the school choir to have a shot ...

I am not sure how many there are on your local war memorial. At our small village school I have researched all the men, there are 10 in total. The thing the children find most fascinating is where they lived, as in our village most of the houses and farms are still there. I must admit that I too am fascinated by the fact that a casualty lived in my house, who knows his room may have been the one I am typing this in, and he may have well looked out at the view I am seeing now.

Also this year at the suggestion of the headteacher, after a service for the whole school which will include photos of some of the casualties and photos of their final resting places, the older children are going to the War Memorial which is in our local church to lay a wreath.

Hi

All those who died or served from Wesham were in the army so these things are based on the service of the town and are for children under 11. I have enlarged a map from 1911 which has allowed individual houses to be recognisable. I have two colours of sticky "dots" to add on the map. Those who died will be one colour and those who served and returned another. I am hoping this will be quite visual - especially as there will be several dots in both colours on some of the houses - like the earlier post people like to know who lived in their house.

I have done something similar with a world map to empahise the conflict was wider than the western front.

I have a scrap box of ribbons, gold, silver and bronze metalic papers, braids etc, and enlarged photogarphs of medals for the children to use as prompts for them to design their own medal. I have got lots of items for them to try on and touch. I have done a word search and crossword, and a quick game for them to match numbers to a company, battallion etc.

I will be watching this thread with interest for further ideas.

Something about the treatment and evacuation of casualties might tie in ....

Hi Tony,

That sounds a great project, and I am sure the kids will find it gripping.

In case you are going down the "casualty" road suggested by Ron, above, you might be interested in a post I made on another thread recently, about the time it took to repatriate casualties, which concerns three old boys of the school you are no doubt working on. (We discussed these relatives of mine on a thread a few months back.)

Link here; look at post No 2.

The victims were, in order shown on the post, Billy (on the Somme); Horace (at Le Cateau), and finally Ken for the last two occasions.

Angela

Hi Angela, you are right about the school and your relatives will feature!Also found around 11 casualties who were at the school.

The times involved will also be added to the information you kindly supplied.

Still cannot find a copy of your book! :(

All best

Tony :poppy:

Tony,

You will find a concurrent Thread about my reasons or not?, for Remembrance Services and their financial spin off.

I would be honest,as a WW1 expert and allow your audience to imagine WW1, as you see fit, but introduce them to current casualties of War,who may be in competition for a job, in 15/20 years time.

George

I too will be watching this thread with interest.

The school is very happy to leave it to Clive and I as to what we show etc, the teacher admitted that they do not know much about WW1 and what we will show is sure to captivate the

children, when we did something for Help for Heroes Day the younger kids were enthralled by the artifacts and pictures and we could have been there for ages showing them

our limited collections, the parents were more interested in the Beer Tent!

Tony

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone who gave me help and ideas,Clive and I have just had a wonderful 2 days at my old School.

I managed to find 11 casualties connected with the School and undertook as much research as time allowed and with help from the Forum.

We asked the school children if they had any relatives in WW1 and asked for details to research, got around 20 names. Found quite a bit of information for them.

On the 2 days we laid out a lot of our relics collected from the fields and also our collection including Lee Enfields , grenades, medals, gas rattles , helmets etc etc.

We filled half a classroom with the stuff!

The kids were great and were very enthusiastic and had to be thrown out after each session!

They loved touching the guns, helmets etc and asking about the artifacts etc, many pictures were taken by the teachers of kids with helmets and holding weapons!

We also spoke about the outcome of the war and the terrible conditions etc.

Angela, they loved the story of your relatives , thanks for giving me permission to use this story. The photos and script are now in the museum.

Doug, the pictures of the Brewood wall were very popular with the kids and the did not know the wall was there.

The children were lovely to be with and showed a lot of respect for what happened. We went with them to there local school ( where I was married) and took part in a very moving remembrance service finishing with a beautiful last post played live by a veteran. all 400 children behaved so well!

We have been invited back for other events and asked to visit another school!

Was very tiring but rewarding.

Thanks again for all of your help!

tony :poppy:

Well done, Tony!

We hear so much about "kids these days ..." and their lack of interest, but your experience shows that, if you prepare something which has obviously taken quite a lot of time and trouble to make it interesting, the children actually do recognise this and respond positively to it.

Good luck with developing the theme!

Ron

... We went with them to there local school ( where I was married) and took part in a very moving remembrance service ...

Sounds an amazing and moving experience, Tony. Well done to you both! I am sure those children will tell everybody they know about it.

The school will be asking you to organise a battlefield tour next!

I am intrigued to hear about the "Brewood wall"; what is that?

Big congratulations.

Angela

PS In the quote above, I wonder if you meant that you took them to a local CHURCH? (Seems funny if you got married in a *school* !)

Hi yes it was the local Church! Was a tiring day at the school but wanted to share experience with all here!

The Brewood wall is in the village and is where locals met before they went off to War and they carved their initials into the bricks.

A forum member Doug Lewis shows pictures on his website of the wall and initials, most of the children did not know it was there!

This is his site : www.wolverhamptonwarmemorials.org.uk look under "memorials outside Wolverhampton" and go to Brewood and it is at the bottom of the page.

tony