As per CWGC

Name: SCARFE, FRANK

Initials: F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Lincolnshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/5th Bn.

Date of Death: 21/04/1917

Service No: 242528

Additional information: Son of the late George and Priscilla Scarfe, of L.incoln; husband of Florence Scarfe, of 440, High St., Lincoln.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. P. 8.

Cemetery: MAROC BRITISH CEMETERY, GRENAY

& the cemetery info

Cemetery: MAROC BRITISH CEMETERY, GRENAY

Locality: Pas de Calais

Visiting Information: Wheelchair access to site possible - may be by alternative entrance. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on 01628 507200.

Location Information: Maroc British Cemetery is located in the village of Grenay, which is about 15 kilometres south-east of Bethune. From Lens take the N43 towards Bethune. After Loos-en-Gohelle turn left (after the petrol station) and continue straight on. The Cemetery is a few kilometres on the right side of the road, in the village.

Historical Information: The cemetery was begun by French troops in August 1915, but it was first used as a Commonwealth cemetery by the 47th (London) Division in January 1916. During the greater part of the war it was a front-line cemetery used by fighting units and field ambulances, and protected from German observation by a slight rise in the ground. Plot II was begun in April 1917 by the 46th (North Midland) Division and by the middle of October 1918, Plot III, Row A and part of Row B, had been filled. The remainder of Plot III, and the ends of certain rows in Plot I, contain graves brought in after the Armistice from the battlefields and small cemeteries (including Maroc Churchyard), north and east of Grenay. Maroc British Cemetery now contains 1,379 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War. 264 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to 89 casualties known to be buried among them. In particular, 87 officers and men of the 6th London Regiment, who died on 25 September 1915 in the capture of Loos, are now buried (but without individual identification) in Plot III, Rows H, J, K and L. The cemetery also contains 45 French and German burials. The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.

No. of Identified Casualties: 1143

Will,

Steve Bramley should be able to provide more info on this lad.

Given his pre and post 1917 service numbers I think it's possible he's a originally a 4th battalion lad, transferred to the 5th in 1916, and then renumbered with a "5th number" in March 1917.

Jim

Hi,

I think Jim is probably right here regarding the previous service in the 4th Battalion. The group of numbers which include Scarfe are nearly all South Lincolnshire men, several former 4th men and many from the Yeomanry. There is a posiblity that these men were renumbered at the Territorial camp RIMAC at Saltfleetby, Lincs which trained new men and those recovering from wounds and waiting to return to the front.

The official history describes events leading to the 21st April (during the retreat to the Hindenbug line).

Brigade (138th) headquarters were at Meroc and from there into positions in the old German front and support line, opposite Cite St. Pierre, N.W. of Lens. The relief was completed by 2 a.m. on the 19th...The line consisted of a series of posts on the outskirts of Lens, some in trenches, others in houses, all lately vacated by the enemy, who held a line approximately 400 yards away: two companies were distributed in these posts, each with one platoon in support, and the other two companies with Batn H.Q. in cellars at Cite St. Pierre.

On the 20th our positions were very heavilly shelled, one of our trenchesin the front line, garrisoned by a platoon under Lt. Robinson, suffering very severely. Lt. Robinson although buried by a shell explosion, and severely shaken, remained on duty encourageing his men, until he had assured himself that the trench was was clear and all his men under cover....

Heavy shelling at intervals over the next two days and nights was experienced, the neighbourhood of Batn. H.Q. , which was in an old German Brigade H.Q., the exact position being therefore well known to the enemy artillery, suffering especially severely. Telephone communication with the front companies was maintained with great difficulty, as the lines were being constantly cut.

Lance-Corporal N.Ironmonger exhibited cospicuous bravery during the period 19th-23rd April, especially on the 20th when having carried in a wounded comrade, he went out again under a heavy barrage and succeeded in repairing a broken line.

The MM was also awarded to Lance-Corporal C.Gill who was in charge of the stretcher bearers during this period; he continually exposed himself to heavy fire, while attending to the wounded.

The battalion war diary adds very little to this.

There are several other 5th Lincolnshire men who lie in Maroc Cemetery, others from the same period are buried in Choques Military.

I have a copy of the field notebook of Segt George Porter of the 1/5th who was with A Company of the Battalion during their time at Lens one entry in particular I feel shows the sense of ironic humour that kept the men going:

' No1 Platoon A Company

To C.Q.M.S. A Coy

Paragraph 34 page 6 field regulations clearly states that a man doing a 6 hour patrol is entitled to a full ration of rum on going out and a similar quantity on coming in. My patrol received its ration on going out but on returning the fiery liquid was conspicuous by its absence. Please issue the necessary amount to bearer, as a C.Q.M.S. charged with confiscating the mens rum ration would, to say the least of it feel embarrased,

Bon Soir Mon Ami,

G.H. Porter Sgt'

Sgt Porter listed every man in his platoon. I have made brief details of what happened to them, if anyone would like to see these posted on this thread I will gladly post them.

Regards,

Steve.

Sgt Porter listed every man in his platoon. I have made brief details of what happened to them, if anyone would like to see these posted on this thread I will gladly post them.

Regards,

Steve.

Steve I for one would certainly be interested in these details

Will

me too, post away please.

1 Platoon A Company 1/5th Lincolnshire Regiment Lens 1917

Sgt Porter George Henry 3878 241017

L/Sgt White Herbert 2649 240584

Details held on Soldiers Died in the Great War: Enlisted Grimsby Resided Stamford . Killed in Action 05.07.17.

The National Archive online Medal Index Cards show three Herbert Whites in the Lincolnshire Regiment; all privates, going by the service numbers only one was in the Territorials. This is the man with the number above. The 24 prefix on the six digit number denotes 5th Battalion.

Lance Sergeant White, prior to the outbreak of war was a colleague of Tom Bluette (a man who was accidentally shot in 1915) at the Grimsby Daily Telegraph. Bluette (Pte 2584) and White joined up together.

Bluettes’ enlistment date was August 1914. If they both embarked together, then this date would be 1st March 1915. White would have, I suspect, received all of his promotions in the field, the first most probably after the attack upon the Hohenzollern Redoubt on October 13th 1915. His last after April 1917 as George logs him as Corporal on one page of the note-book, he probably held the Lance Sergeant rank temporarily.

If L/Sgt White’s service to the time of his death remained unbroken (I somehow doubt this) then he would have been a very experienced soldier and undoubtedly an asset to you father. It is possible that White assumed charge of the Platoon after George left.

The Grimsby Telegraph dated 17.08.1917 includes the following article under the title:

‘Our Soldiers At The Front’

‘Lance Sergeant H. White,

Of the Lincolns, we reported a fortnight ago under our Brigg news as missing. His home was at Brigg, but prior to the war was engaged on the reporting staff of the Grimsby Daily Telegraph. His mother has now received the following letter from Company Sergeant Major J. W. Harrison:-

Dear Mrs White, I very much regret to inform you that your son, Lce-Sgt. H. White, is missing. The battalion took part in an attack on the 1st July, and your son has not been seen since that date. I am sorry that I cannot give you any information about your son, as it is impossible to say whether he was taken prisoner or killed, but we must hope for the best, and any information I can get I will at once send on to you.

Sgt White was a fearless man and all the time I have known him he has always done his duty in a cheerful manner. I have lost one of my best Sergeants, and the men of his platoon have lost a friend, as he was very fond of everyone in his command, and the N.C.O.’s and men desire me to convey to you their deepest sympathy in the great anxiety you must be labouring under. He did his duty as a Britisher.’

Sergeant White is only about 23 years of age, and his quiet unassuming disposition made him very popular with his colleagues who are anxiously awaiting further news.’

I am 99% certain that this is the L/Sgt White in your fathers platoon.

Lance Sergeant White is commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the missing Bays 3 and 4.

Sgt Kent David 2088 240327

b.Grimsby e. Grimsby r. Eccles Lancashire Wounded 16.08.15 Killed in Action. 30.04.17.

I suspect that David Kent had the same role as George in a different platoon within A company. My guess is that George was doing him a favour by handing the ‘extra-cardigan’ in?

Sergeant Kent enlisted in August 1914 and like White and Bluette embarked for France with the Battalion arriving on March 1st 1915. He saw service firstly in trenches opposite the Wytschaete/Messines ridge from April to June ’15 moving then to the Hill 60 sector south of Ypres, where as a Corporal he was wounded on the night of 16th August 1915. It is not known weather his injuries were severe enough for him to be sent home. But obviously he recovered enough to be posted back to the Battalion.

Sergeant Kent was killed on April 30th 1917. The Battalion was at the time between Loos and Lens. ‘B’ Company were outpost Company in the Cite St Theodore, ‘D’ Company were in reserve A and C companies at Battalion HQ at Cite St.Pierre. During the day between 11 and 12 noon HQ was shelled heavily, ‘desultory shelling all over the area’

The connection with Eccles Lancs is recorded on the 1901 census, under a William Kent (born Grimsby) A general labourer aged 31, David Kent’s father? Or was David his middle name? If the last is so, then this would make him 46 in 1917…a possibility.

Sergeant Kent is buried in Maroc British Cemetery at Grenay, Grave II P 19.

Cpl Wordsworth Harry b Gainsborough 2247 240401

Corporal Wordsworth was I suspect George’s ‘right hand man’ in the platoon. Certainly several of his notes were written to Cpl Wordsworth. Wordsworth was born in Gainsborough. His service number is amongst a large group of Gainsborough men who enlisted in Luton while the battalion were in training prior to embarkation.

Wordsworth had several letters printed in the Gainsborough News in 1915, he describes in detail the mine explosion at trench E1 Left opposite Spanbroekmolen.

Corporal Wordsworth is recorded in a casualty list in the Grimsby News (06.08.17) as ‘Wounded’. The lists appeared usually between 2 and 3 weeks after the event, which would suggest that he received his wound during July of that year. The list also states that Wordsworth resided in Gainsborough. He was 26 years old in 1917. Wordsworth was partially blinded in the incident in which he was wounded, receiving treatment at St.Dunstans after the war.

L/Cpl Smith Harry 3469 240868?

No references to Harry Smith have been found as yet. His service number would suggest a similar date of enlistment as your father and thus a similar record of service.

L/Cpl Hewitt William V. 1399 240093.

A pre-war Terrier, would have joined in 1910. It is not certain that this is the L/Cpl Hewitt in your fathers platoon, but I think it likely. Probably from Grimsby. There is one William Hewitt born and living in Grimsby in the 1901 census. Further searches from within Lincolnshire would make him the best choice. Hewitt later won the MM (action at Lens 19th June 1917) and finished the war as a full Corporal. He also later saw service in the 4th Battalion. Further newspaper searches could reveal more information about this man.

L/Cpl Jacklin

There were 26 Jacklins in the Lincolnshire Regiment according to the NA MIC. (there were also several in the 5th battalion) Only one is listed as a Lance Corporal, William Joshua and one as a Sergeant (Alfred, also 5th Battalion). There are no Jacklins recorded with the first initial ‘J’ which I am sure is the initial logged by your father.

So L/Cpl may have preferred to use his middle name? If this is the case then there are two possibilities:

2619 240569 William Joshua of 112 Annersley Street Grimsby who later became a 2nd Lieutenant in the Lincolns.

2666 240592 Thomas James of 39 Lovett Street Cleethorpes. Thomas James is recorded as a Lance Corporal on the Grimsby Absent Voters list.

This is all guesswork for the Jacklins!

L/Cpl Ellis John W 3820 240988

John Ellis was originally 3/5th Battalion. Enlisted, at the same time as George I would think. Not sure when he was drafted, but again may have a similar history. He is recorded as wounded on the same casualty list as Cpl Wordsworth. His place of residence recorded as Scamblesby.

Pte Presgrave Sidney 241708

b. Bennington e.Lincoln r.Skirbeck 20.06.17

It would, I think, be fair to say that Sidney Presgrave would be among a group of the most recent men in the platoon. This group, which included several men with similar service numbers, contained no men that had enlisted before March 1916.

Sidney Presgrave died of wounds received on 26th June 1917. It is possible that he was one of 4 men listed in the War Diary as dying of wounds on 19th June after undertaking an attack A and B being the assaulting companies.

According to CWGC Presgrave was 23 years old. He was the son of Louisa Elsom of 3 Mount Bridge, Skirbeck Boston and is interred in Loos British Cemetery, grave XIX D.12.

Willis Percy 241720

The first list of men noted by George has – I think – Willis logged with the initial ‘W’. But he is definitely logged as ‘P’ on the ‘Wire-Cutters’ page. 241720 Percy Willis would have been in the same group as Presgrave et al. Percy is amongst those recorded in a Grimsby News casualty list for 06.08.17, and so I again suspect wounded in the Lens actions in July. He is recorded as living in Lindsey Tye. A place that I have never heard of but assumed was in Lincolnshire. A search on the census, using ‘Lindsey’ reveals 1 ‘Percy’ (from a possible 56!). This Percy was 12 years old in 1901 (which would make him 28). He was born in Lindsey, Suffolk in the parish of Lindsey. Again, a possible Derby scheme man.

Wright

There are 296 Wrights recorded on the NA MIC, and this man will be one of the most difficult to research. However two Wrights in the 5th Batt. may fit.

L/Cpl Thomas Edwin Neville Wright 1359 240091 b. Legbourne e.Alford 01.08.14 r. 18 Wormald Street Huddersfield.(formerly Dashwood Road, Alford) K.i.a. 19.06.17

Buried Loos Cemetery XIX C 10. Former Pupil Queen Elizebeth. Grammar School.

Pte James Wright 240992

Proudley Frederick 4459 241295

b Grimsby e.Grimsby 19.06.17

Frederick Proudley died of wounds received during the attack on 19.06.17. There is a Frederick Proudley recorded as living in Grimsby on the 1901 census, he is one of four in the whole country but the only one in Grimsby or Lincolnshire. He was 15 and working as an errand boy. This would have made him 31 in 1917 and another possible Derby Scheme man?

Frederick rests in Noeux-Les-Mines Communal Cemetery plot II.B.14

Hales H?

No ‘H’ Hales in the 1/5th but there was a Fred. Sits amongst a group of Scunthorpe enlistments on my database. Fred’s service numbers were 2186 240373. This would make him a very early enlistment, August 1914 probably. Either an experienced ‘original’ or a 3/5th transfer? Not sure at all.

Frost William 241713

See Presgrave regarding enlistment.

Frost H

A mystery so far.

Kent Samuel T 2152 240358

113 Welholme Rd Grimsby w. 13.06.15

Wounded on 13.06.1915 when, according to the war diary a shell struck the parapet of trench F4 when the battalion were opposite the Messines/Wytschaete Ridge. I suspect that Kent’s injury may have been a ‘blighty’ or he was very lucky to get through Hill 60, the Hohenzollern and Gommecourt. If he did he would have been very experienced by 1917. One of three Kent’s serving from 113 Welholme Road according to the list of ‘Grimsby Men Who Served’ held in Grimsby library. One is ‘Sam’ the others being Byron 28226 10th Lincolns and Bombardier 800993 William Samuel, RFA. There is nothing to suggest any connection to Sergeant Kent. He would have been 21 years old in 1917 by the 1901 census.

Harrison H

Harrison R

Unsure about either so far, lots of Harrisons served in the battalion, needs further work.

Pyecroft Charles 241676

This is the only ‘Pyecroft’ that I can find who served with the 1/5th. George has the intials as H.E. ? Shall try looking further using variations of spelling.

Coulam?

Hawbrook John William 241710

Likely to have enlisted on the same day as Sidney Presgrave. The most likely fit to this man in the 1901 census was living in Metheringham at the time. He was 31 years old in 1917 and was employed as an Agricultural labourer pre-war. If this is the correct man he may have (using his age as the clue) enlisted under Lord Derby’s Scheme.

Dunderdale Walter 2233 240393

Born in Gainsborough (1901 census) This would have made him 21 in 1917. He is recorded as wounded in a Grimsby News casualty list on 03.08.17 (living Gainsborough). Likely to be another casualty of 19th June? Possibly earlier?

Willimott Christopher 241724

b Bilston Norfolk (census)

Crowson Arthur 5153 241694

There are 13 Crowson’s that served in the Lincolns according to the MIC, but only one who is likely to have served in the 5th. Arthur’s number would certainly fit amongst the ‘newer’ men.

A census search reveals 18 Arthur Crowsons, but only two in Lincolnshire. 2 year old Arthur from Holbeach and 32 year old Arthur from Cleethorpes. I would suggest the younger Arthur who would have just turned 19 in 1917. and also the close proximity in numbers with Inkley and Freeman, who were both South Lincs men.

Inkley George 241699

bThurlby e.Bourne. r.Thurlby d.30.04.17.

Thurlby is near Bourne. I have e-mailed two family researchers listed on a Bourne Website with a request for possible further information. George is buried in the next grave to Sergeant Kent. This produces several more issues! (see also G.Freeman)

Maroc British Cemetery at Grenay, Grave II P 18.

Welbourne James 2229 240389

r.Gainsborough gassed 13.10.15

I’m pretty sure that on the ‘faded’ list father has this mans initial as ‘F’. A quick MIC search reveals no ‘F’s’ in the Lincolns. But I have a James on my database. You will notice a very close proximity in service numbers to Walter Dunderdale, both were from Gainsborough and both appear in the same casualty list (03.08.17). This suggests to me that they were ‘mates’ and were possibly wounded together. I think this makes sense.

Burgess John 5326 241748

b.Northampton e.Northampton later 10 Lincs? 12.04.18

Really not sure about this man. Nothing fits apart from the close proximity of the service number to the ‘newer’ men. And the fact that there are only 3 ‘J’ Burgess’ on the MIC and only this man as 5th battalion (but recorded 10th???) According to the Medal Rolls, this man was originally 1/5th then 2/5th and finally 10th. But the CWGC records him as with the 2/5th at the time of his death. I don’t think that this man was one of George’s boys

Crane

Another ‘mystery’ man at the moment

Chase Edward 3153 240744

Lived in Cleethorpes, possible but there are a couple of other ‘Chaces’s in the 5th.

Freeman George Harry 241714

b Bucks e. Market Deeping r.Deeping St James 241714 30.04.17

Lost his life in the same incident as Sgt Kent and George Inkley. I would suggest, like the two Gainsborough lads, Freeman and Inkley ‘stuck together’ being from nearby villages. George was aged 25 when he was killed.

Maroc British Cemetery at Grenay, Grave II P 20.

London William. 4983 241639

49 Durban Rd Grimsby, son of James and Jane London aged 29 05.05.17

This man is mentioned twice in fathers’ notes. I first wrote the name down as ‘Loucan’, then thought ‘Lawson’. But due to the closeness of service numbers to the man below and the date of deaths I am reasonably certain that this is the man on the list. William is also listed is being part of ‘A’ company on the CWGC website.

He is commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the missing, bay 3 and 4.

Fraser John William 4993 241642

b Grimsby e. Grimsby 05.05.17

Again, I would guess that Fraser and London were another little partnership within the platoon. I also have a feeling that (due to the very close numbering) that these men may have even known each other pre-war. They certainly enlisted on the same day.

Fraser is also commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the missing, bay 3 and 4.

*I find it interesting that these are the only two men from the platoon that have no known graves. Perhaps this says something about the nature of the fighting around Lens? I think it more likely, in this area, for men to receive a decent burial as this was one of the few areas that was not fought over ‘backwards and forwards’.The fontline was very slowly pushed back from ’17 onwards. At the end of the war the German line had only retreated about 5 miles. This would perhaps leave small ‘battlefield’ cemeteries undamaged?

·

Osborne

There were 50 Osbornes in the Lincolnshire Regiment according to the MIC. Several initialled ‘S’ but only one possible for the 5th and I think he was a conscript, so would not have been ‘out’? two other possibilities but not ‘S’ So needs more work!

Allwood Percy 2377 240462

At first I thought that this mans name was Allard on the ‘faded’ list. It is quite clear on the ‘sick’ list that it is Allwood. Only four Allwoods on the MIC. And only one in the 5th battalion, Percy. I did not have him listed on my database so I have now put him on. He fits in amongst a group of Barton volunteers. It is hard to tell weather he went abroad early or was in the reserve battalion firstly.

Sutton

Unsure. There are three potential Suttons on the MIC, but none have a 6 digit service number, all being transferred to other regiments before the issue of these numbers. I need to check the exact date of re-numbering.?

Mann

Walker

Brown W

Brown J

Graham

There are several possibilities for the above five men, which would take several hours of ‘delving’, and I have run out of time!

The Flanking Party

Winters 1161 240181(bomber)

There are only two ‘Winters’ listed in the Lincolnshire Regiment in the MIC.Only one, Barnaby was serving after March 1917. I am reasonably confident that the man on the list is him. Born in Grimsby and living at 10 Stanley Street in the Town. Winters later distinguished himself on the 19th June 1917. (MM winner). He survived the war.

Turgoose 3827 241002 (lewis gunner)

There are four Lincolnshire Regiment Turgoose’s on the MIC. Only George and Alfred could have been in the fifth. Of these two Only George was re-numbered, Alfred being transferred to the Northumberland Fusiliers before re-numbering? So I think George is our man.

George was wounded in June 1917 and recorded in a casualty list in the Grimsby News. He lived at 8 Charlton Street Grimsby.

Booth (rifleman, deleted)

Possibly Ernest. 4453 241292 But not sure.

Jacobs 240374 (Lewis Gunner, deleted)

Pte C.R. Jacobs enlisted at Frodingham and is mentioned in the Official History by Colonel Sandall;

P.127. (The Attacks On Lens)

19th June 1917

‘At 7 p.m. the enemy were observed forming up E. of Admiral Trench by Private C.R. Jacobs, a Lewis gunner, who immediately gave he alarm, and moving his gun to the top of the parapet opened fire inflicting many casualties; the S.O.S. was again at once responded to by our guns, and the attack dispersed.’

Jacobs was rewarded with the MM.

From SDGW

Born & Enlisted Lincoln

KIA

Not strictly relevant.... but a very brave man from the same battalion, who died a couple of weeks later:

Name: LEAK

Initials: A C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Lincolnshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/5th Bn.

Date of Death: 17/05/1917

Service No: 241082

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot G. Row 3. Grave 5.

Cemetery: CALAIS SOUTHERN CEMETERY

'In circumstances of great gallantry and self-sacrifice, Corporal Arthur Leak of the Lincolnshire Regiment, well known as a member of Grimsby Rovers team has laid down his life in France. Leak had to open a case of bombs upon withdrawing some of them he found one was defective, Its fuse ignited. It was a five seconds fuse. In the confined space, thronged with men, there was no means of disposing of the bomb. Leak calmly held it in his hand, called to all the men to lay down, or to take cover, then placed the bomb on the floor beside him, and tried to stifle the force of the explosion. He was shockingly injured, but his coolness and gallantry undoubtedly saved many men from being killed or injured.

Narrating the circumstances in a letter to the bereaved parents, the company officer says “He was a first class soldier, and on more than one occasion had shown conspicuous bravery. He was a very good sportsman, captain of our football team, and had many close friends'

Regards,

AGWR

From the Lincoln Memorial Book:

Frank Scarfe.

Address on enlistment: 38 Scorer St Lincoln

Date of enlistment: 4th October 1914

Rgt No:242528

Regt: 5th Lincs

Date of death:21/4/1917

A brave Lincolnian!

Jim,

doubt if he's 10th. Which other 'pals' battalion would the Lincoln lads have jioined, 7th? 8th?

Steve.

Jim, Steve

Only a look at the medal roll will confirm, but i tend to agree with Jim. Whilst he is not on my database of original chums, i do not have number 701 allocated to anyone yet, his date of enlistement as 4th Oct would fit perfectly with those that i do have. 783 enlisted 10th Oct; 787 enlisted 12th Oct.

One to check on next NA visit Steve

Chris

• 5 years later...

Frank Scarfe 242528 is my Grandad's cousin. It would be interesting if anyone could add additional information on the soldiers below.

My Grandad is Pte William Sidney Scarfe, 19362 West Riding Regiment. Seriously gassed and invalided home. His brother is Ernest Albert Scarfe 1427/240145, 6th West Yorkshire Regiment. All have Lincoln/Boston roots, but my Grandad's father moved to Bradford, Yorkshire.

My name is Michael Scarfe, and I am very grateful to all the above for the information you have shared. I intend to visit the Lincoln memorial book, and hopefully Maroc British cemetery to pay my respects to Frank.

Frank Scarfe also had a brother, Philip Scarfe, 20241, from Lincoln, but enlisted in Darlington, September 1914, to the General Service Cavalry. Discharged after 84 days????

SCARFE W.S, Private, West Riding Regiment

He volunteered in February 1916, and in the following November was sent to the Western Front, where he fought in several engagements, including the Battles of the Somme, Beaucourt, Arras, Vimy Ridge and was seriously gassed at Ypres (III). Invalided home for hospital treatment, he was later discharged as medically unfit for further military service in August 1917, and holds the General Service and Victory Medals.

4o Hillside Road, Bradford. X4226

Michael Scarfe

• 3 weeks later...

From the Lincoln Memorial Book:

Frank Scarfe.

Address on enlistment: 38 Scorer St Lincoln

Date of enlistment: 4th October 1914

Rgt No:242528

Regt: 5th Lincs

Date of death:21/4/1917

A brave Lincolnian!

Hi Chaps

Had a neb through some odds and ends on 10th lads i have.

It would seem that Frank Scarfe did start out as with the Grimsby Chums as No.701.

He transferred to the 1st Battalion still as No.701 and onto the 1/5th where he was issued the No.242528.

His Medal Roll confirms this.

Dick