The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Marne, 1914

Al Parsons

Not a review, folks, just a heads-up.

This book will evidently be published on December 1 of this year. ISBN-10 1400066719. 416 pages

Full title: The Marne, 1914: The Opening of World War 1 and the Battle That Changed the World

This will be high on my list. Supposedly it takes "all sides of the story" and includes "exclusive information based on newly unearthed documents". (From the Amazon marketing blurb). I'm sure it does because Herwig is a first class historian.

The one and only book on The Marne that I have tried to read was one I picked up last year (I forget the title and its not worth bending around from my keyboard to look up). I thought it was a recent effort but it turned out to have been published in 1935 or so. It was so boring - in style and format - that it made a statistics textbook look interesting!

Anyway, I'm willing to bet that Professor Herwig's book will be a treat. As I say, high on my list.

Thanks Al. Should be very good, as you say. Up until now, Sewell Tyng's book "The Campaign of the Marne" has been one of the best on this subject. From the date you mentioned, it sounds like the same book. To each his own I guess.

Robert

Thanks Al. Should be very good, as you say. Up until now, Sewell Tyng's book "The Campaign of the Marne" has been one of the best on this subject. From the date you mentioned, it sounds like the same book. To each his own I guess.

Robert

You're quite right, Robert. I may have been a tad harsh on Mr. Tyng. I do recall that it was very hard slugging, however, and that I had to give it up. Aw well....

Thanks Al for the heads up on The Marne 1914 .

The only books I have on this battle is Robert Aspreys The First Battle of the Marne and Henri Isselins

The Battle of the Marne . Both left me wanting more and will look forward to buying Proffessor Herwigs account come December

It is listed on Amazon at a discounted pre publication price and according to them, due for release in November. If using Amazon, don't forget to order through the Forum link on the Donations page.

Like other forumites keen on reading more on the Marne, I have had this on pre-order for a while. I thought Tyng's book invaluable, it was for many years, the only serious attempt in English on this crucial campaign. Any book on Foch or Joffre gives a lot of info on the Marne. Georges Blond wrote a very readable book, " The Marne" but, like Asprey's, a bit dated now. There is a reprinted version of the Michelin series of battlefield tours devoted to the Marne. A strange book as are all in the series, half history, half guidebook with lots of tiny almost illegible B&W snaps.

I do recall that it was very hard slugging....
Yes, it takes a lot of work. Any reasonable study of a major campaign is going to be hard work. A full description of the events surrounding the Marne will be no exception. There are so many place names, different units, and key personalities. Even with excellent maps (and I read Tyng in combination with the superb maps from the revelant volumes of Der Weltkrieg), the Marne is really hard work. Prior to Tyng, I had read von Kluck at least 4 times, the BoH twice, and several other sources. This made Tyng a little easier. I would strongly recommend re-reading Tyng at least twice. If Professor Herwig's book is as good as we suspect, it should be hard work too. The events surrounding and involving the Marne were so pivotal to the war that perserverance will pay off.

Robert

I guess we all have different tastes and interests in military history. I agree with Tom.

I found Tyng's book, The Campaign of the Marne, an exceptionally easy read and by far the best book on the campaign I have read. Fast paced and excellent analysis supported by good sketch maps. His evaluation of the campaign is yet to be bettered. It is a book pitched at the operational level of war and, thankfully, does not get into a myriad of detail and never ending soldier's quotes. I wrote a review on it here http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=Campaign+Marne

IMO it is a masterpiece of how operational history should be written.

Cheers

Chris

I guess we all have different tastes and interests in military history. I agree with Tom.

I found Tyng's book, The Campaign of the Marne, an exceptionally easy read and by far the best book on the campaign I have read. Fast paced and excellent analysis supported by good sketch maps. His evaluation of the campaign is yet to be bettered. It is a book pitched at the operational level of war and, thankfully, does not get into a myriad of detail and never ending soldier's quotes. I wrote a review on it here http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=Campaign+Marne

IMO it is a masterpiece of how operational history should be written.

Cheers

Chris

My friend, you have just convinced me to take another look at it. Clearly, from the comments above, a reappraisal on my part is due.

Yes, it takes a lot of work. Any reasonable study of a major campaign is going to be hard work. A full description of the events surrounding the Marne will be no exception. There are so many place names, different units, and key personalities. Even with excellent maps (and I read Tyng in combination with the superb maps from the revelant volumes of Der Weltkrieg), the Marne is really hard work. Prior to Tyng, I had read von Kluck at least 4 times, the BoH twice, and several other sources. This made Tyng a little easier. I would strongly recommend re-reading Tyng at least twice. If Professor Herwig's book is as good as we suspect, it should be hard work too. The events surrounding and involving the Marne were so pivotal to the war that perserverance will pay off.

Robert

Robert, I agree with you. The essence of your message is correct. Considering that "The Marne" was fought on much - if not all - of the western front, an adequate description of it requires a lot of attention to detail.

Perhaps I am asking too much. In fact, I am probably asking for more than I could deliver myself! But, in addition to comprehensive detail and a commitment to accuracy, I also look for the talent to bring history to life, to make it interesting, to grab the reader. In other words, I tend to look for narrative history at its best. Again, I probably could not deliver this so its probably unfair for me to look for it. But some historians can do it. I just didn't find it in Tyng. On the other hand - again - I'm sure it is unfair to rate Tyng on this.

All in all, I regret hijacking my own thread - on Professor's Herwig's book - by making an unfortunate reference to his predecessor. Geesh, 61 years old and I still get myself in trouble!

Hi Al. I'm pleased you intend to give Tyng another go. I think he deserves it. I am looking forward to the new book, as it ought to throw an almost completely new light on the battle. Just one small point, you refer to the Battle of the Marne as being fought on almost all of the western front. Certainly it was fought over a sizeable portion of the front at the time but it would prove to be only a small portion of the Western Front as it would be measured from the end of 1914 until the end of the war.

My friend, you have just convinced me to take another look at it. Clearly, from the comments above, a reappraisal on my part is due.

Hi Al,

Like Tom, I am pleased you are going to give Tyng another go. I do hope you enjoy it the second time around.

Nonetheless, it will not be everyone's cup of tea. I take your point about bringing history to life. Tyng's book is best described as a strategic and operational study of the campaign and is for those who are interested in these aspects of warfare and books that express clarity of thought and balanced evaluation. Tyng's is a benchmark on how this type of history should be written. It is not a book for those who are interested in the details of tactical moves and the soldier's view of war, although he provides tactical level examples to highlight how the fog of war and actions at unit level can affect the outcomes of battles and campaigns. Maybe my professional background made it easier for me to read, but it is the only book I have given five stars in review.

Good on you for having another go at it.

Cheers

Chris

Just started to re-read Tyng's book yesterday. Rather enjoying it actually. Forgot that it was this good......ahem.......blush!

I found Tyng's book excellent! Herwig is big league and it will be too. You must read Spear's Liaison 1914 which is just enthralling and gives such a great look at what going on at Lanrezac's, and French's, HQ.

On the strength of the recommendations from erstwhile members contained in this thread I have ordered both books.

You must read Spear's Liaison 1914 which is just enthralling and gives such a great look at what going on at Lanrezac's, and French's, HQ.
An excellent book. It should be recalled, however, that Spears provides one narrow perspective on Lanzrezac. You get a partial feel for all that Lanrezac had to deal with.

Robert