The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Maj. Russel, what regiment?

keithm

I'm trying to discover the regiment or battalion my grandfather joined in Sept 1914. One clue I have is on the reverse side of my father's birth certificate, he was born in 1910. Apparently his name was 'recorded' by a Maj Russell in Winchester. Does the name Maj. Russell ring a bell with anyone and to which regiment/battalion did he belong?

post-34365-1216026819.jpg

The MIC below isn't for Major Russell (but possibly his son). Note the details on the back!!! Maybe there's a clue in "Rifle" and "Winchester"?

Les

russellnp2.jpg

Winchester was the Depot of the Rifle Brigade.

Les is correct in his MIC, he was the son of Major Leonard Russell and the grandson of General Lord Alexander.

The Major Russell that you seek information on is Leonard George Russell, the son of Lord Alexander. Born 6th June 1858, educated Harrow & Sandhurst; 2nd Lt. 25/5/78, retired as Captain 3/9/90; re-employed 17/11/99; Major 18/10/02, retired 16/1/03. Adjutant Rifle Depot 1899-1903; Assistant Officer in charge Records Winchester 1905-17.

Married 1890 Agnes, daughter of Godfrey Lee (Warden Win. College); 1 son, 2 daughters. Hon. Sec. Green Jacket Club 1894-1946. Died at Winchester 7/4/46.

Rifle Brigade, you will find his signature on many of the Rifle Brigade Records. Hope this helps you a little.

Andy

Hope this helps you a little.

Andy,

Helps a lot. To my mind conclusive evidence of grandfathers service in the Riflw Brigade.

Thanks very much.

Now, I wonder what Battalion he was in.......

Keith

Go back to his service record and you will note as a Lt he served with the 12th battalion of the Rifle Brigade.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob,

The son of the Major in question was Leonard Cosmo Bolles Russell who was initially posted to the 3rd RB's after receiving his commission, after Sandhurst, but never joined it being posted to the 12th whilst at the depot. He was mortally wounded in the 12th's attack on Rainbow Trench. Good old Rifle Brigade family with his grandfather being General Lord Alexander Gordon Russel (G.C.B.) who served in the Rifle Brigade from 1839 to 1868 and was Colonel-Commandant.

At the time of his death he was a T/Captain but the C.O. of the 12th RB had recommended him as fit to command a battalion.

Andy

Hi Andy,

So Black Mafia to the core, worse than The Guards, but what an impressive pedigree.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Very much so, he was 3rd generation RB's and I am sure had L.C.B. Russell survived and had a son he would have been another officer candidate for the RB's, all old Harrow boys as well.

Andy

Hi Andy, It goes without saying RB or RGJ or The Rifles, in my day the old 60th RB chaps in the RGJ were the class acts in the Battalion. Seems bizarre but they out Guarded the Guards in many respects.

Rob