The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Medal Roll Entry

Doug Lewis

I have received a copy of my Great Grandads medal roll. Looking down the list of the same page next to another mans name (a man I have since found out was KIA) is hand written the following

Retd 1743 KR(1912) CRV 496/3 df 20-9-23,8115/adt

Can anyone possibly tell me what it means

Doug

Hi, this code means simply that the medal(s) in question were sent out but then returned, owing to non receipt, most probably because the chap had unfortunately died, and his next of kin either didn't want the medals, or couldn't be found.

The KR means King's (Army) Regulation, and this one refers to what to do with medals that were returned; they were, in fact, broken up. There's a book NA library listing all the King's Regulations.

The exact entry from The King's Regulations and Orders for the Army 1912 HMSO, London, 1918: Section XII Dress, Clothing, Equipment, Medals and Decorations. 2, Medals and Decorations. General Instructions 1734-1744:

"1743 Medals which, at the end of 10 years, still remain unclaimed, will be sent to the INdia Office (if granted for Indian Service), or to the deputy director of ordnance stores, Royal Dockyard (Medal Branch), Woolwich (if granted for other service) to be broken up."