The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Professor Richard Holmes

andiS

This is awful news and so sad that a man with such empathy for his subject is no longer with us. His memory will live on in the excellent programmes in which he appeared. Sincere sympathy to his family and friends.

With respect

Norman

Well said Norman. I agree entirely.

Roger

I am sure all pals will be saddened to learn I heard today from the Guild of Battlefield Guides that our patron and well known military historian Professor Richard Holmes passed away this weekend. Richard will be remembered for his wide ranging work on military history but especially his television work, war walks, The Western Front, Cromwell Great Britons etc and his many writings. In particular for those of us lucky enough to meet him he was a man of great humour and charm. He will be sorely missed. RIP SG

His programmes got me into this in the first place. A very sad loss.

This is very sad news indeed. Thank you (not quite the right expression) for posting it.

I knew Richard through the TA when we shared a room on the TA Staff Course in the early 1980s (he went on to rather greater things) and thereafter had bumped into him occasionally either in connection with the ABF, as a Brigadier in the TA (him, not me) or wearing his military history hat in lecture mode. He was always very genial and seemed to have time for everyone. I have enjoyed his books (Riding the Retreat in particular) and shall retain the TV image of him striding across the gravelled front of various châteaux wearing immaculate riding boots with civilian riding kit whilst delivering his words to camera as Haig might have done to his staff (albeit probably much more eloquently in Richard's case).

Your news sounds as though this was the result of illness?

Ian

Oh dear oh dear.

His works occupy a couple of feet of bookshelf here, and Riding the Retreat is an absolute must. I once wrote to him pointing out parts of "Tommy" which I thought were in error, and had a courteous and detailed reply which conceded that I had won two, drawn two and lost one!

A massive loss to the community of Great War students and experts.

Very sad news indeed. I was lucky enough to hear one of his talks a few years ago at a local WFA meeting. A great storyteller whose talent will be missed.

A great loss of a great writer and presenter. He cancelled coming to the Folkestone Book Festival last autumn, which was when I first heard that he was ill with cancer.

My condolences to family and those that knew him personally.

John

I feel very sad in seeing this news. I always enjoyed his work be it on the television or in print. Riding the Retreat is a joy to read.

Heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in peace Richard.

Sorry to hear that. I have several of his books. A very knowledgeable and readable man

Martin B

note to mods: see there are two threads on this - could they be run together?

An untimely tragedy. His War Walks made military history accessible to all - even my missus would watch it with interest. I can remember being impressed by his apparent health and confidence marching down a French road in a programme about the 1914 battles, his equal easy familiarity with the SMLE and 1640s cavalry swordsmanship. His passing is a considerable loss to this field of study, and he'll be much missed.

Regards,

MikB

In agreeing with what everyone else has said, I would add that his slight eccentricity made his work even more appealing. A very sad and untimely loss.

In agreeing with what everyone else has said, I would add that his slight eccentricity made his work even more appealing. A very sad and untimely loss.

Yes, that was it. He was eminently watchable and once hooked he made you want to know more. Quite a skill in storytelling.

Another great British historian lost to us, a tragedy indeed.

But his 'spirit' lives on, through the continuing appreciation of his works. Long may they be read and studied.

Very sad .

Dave.

This is very sad - his book "Tommy" ranks among my top half a dozen books on the Great War.

William

• Admin

Very sad news, a delightful man. He will be missed.

Michelle

Very sad - a superb man.

One of the few Sandhurst lecturers to keep us awake in the Churchill Hall in the late 7O and equally good on TV twenty years later.

He will be sorely missed