The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Very technically :)

A timely intervention - our 4000th post in WIT's current incarnation making a total of over 12600 across both threads (sorry just scraping some of the rust off my statistical role with an easy win!)

David

Ooh. Do I get an extra cat's whisker for my radio?

He started in 1914 as a army lieutenant finished as a naval commander, and, served technically on all Fronts.

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

John

SeaJane's clues lead me to Guglielmo Marconi.

SeaJane's clues lead me to Guglielmo Marconi.

Well done UG, but I must call this a score draw, seaJane picked it up yesterday.

Marconi is someone who you would not thought to have any involvement in the Great War, yet he was an Italian ambassador in the US. I still have to sort out his military career, unless there is a forum member who can enlighten me as to his change in military service.

John

Douglas Morris Harris? His is the only name connected to HMS Admirable which I can find in the Extensive Library.

Ron

Douglas Morris Harris? His is the only name connected to HMS Admirable which I can find in the Extensive Library.

Ron

Yes, the heroic wireless operator:

"Harris joined the Navy, and was stationed on HMS Admirable, before moving to the Italian drifter Floandi as a wireless operator. On the night of 14th 15th May 1917, the drifters came under heavy attack in the Adriatic from the Austrian Navy. Harris refused to leave his post in the midst of the battle, continuing to send messages calling for assistance, and was sadly killed in action."

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1329&hl=floandi

https://wolverhamptonswar.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/douglas-morris-harris/

Just as an aside there were 14 drifters sunk by the Austrian navy in this action, one of them being HMS Admirable, his first ship.

John

Who is this cheeky Chappie? Two left from Winston with his hands in his pockets seemingly without a care in the world.

post-100478-0-14869600-1458734417_thumb.

Who is this cheeky Chappie? Two left from Winston with his hands in his pockets seemingly without a care in the world.

Is he Henry Williamson?

WSC on TEL: " ... He was indeed a dweller upon the mountain tops where the air is cold, crisp and rarefied, and where the view on clear days commands all the Kingdoms of the world and the glory of them ... "

No, it is the young boy I am refererring to UG. Behind the man with the young kid.

Or, if not, Frank Fletcher?

Who`s V.C. citation is this??? Or even W.V.C.C.I.T.???

"For most conspicuous bravery and determination when, with attacking troops, which came under heavy fire and were checked. Although slightly wounded ??? dashed forward at the head of his section, pushed into our barrage and personally destroyed with bombs an enemy machine gun and crew which was causing heavy casualties.

He then attacked a second gun, killing the whole of the crew of twelve.
By the destruction of these two guns, he undoubtedly saved his own and other units from very severe casualties, and his magnificent courage and gallantry ensured the capture of the objective.
During the consolidation of the position he received a second severe wound.
He set, throughout, a great example of heroism."
post-95959-0-28595300-1458747970_thumb.j

Who`s V.C. citation is this??? Or even W.V.C.C.I.T.???

"For most conspicuous bravery and determination when, with attacking troops, which came under heavy fire and were checked. Although slightly wounded ??? dashed forward at the head of his section, pushed into our barrage and personally destroyed with bombs an enemy machine gun and crew which was causing heavy casualties.

He then attacked a second gun, killing the whole of the crew of twelve.

By the destruction of these two guns, he undoubtedly saved his own and other units from very severe casualties, and his magnificent courage and gallantry ensured the capture of the objective.

During the consolidation of the position he received a second severe wound.

He set, throughout, a great example of heroism."

attachicon.gifvc.jpg

He is Samuel Frickleton.

He is Samuel Frickleton.

He is, Uncle. Well solved, and very quickly too.

Hi gents/ladies

Do you think he looks like either of these (in the TEL connection), Albert on left,Frank on right

post-105748-0-87369100-1458748540_thumb.

John

Chappie with a capital C.

Are we to read anything into that?

I think you might have something there Dai. Your prompt leads me to think it is in fact Charlie Chaplin. "The kid".

Hi gents/ladies

Do you think he looks like either of these (in the TEL connection), Albert on left,Frank on right

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

John

Not a chance, I feel.

Is it someone who was later i the public eye... a politician?

Harold Wilson or Denis Healy maybe?

Tony Hancock???

Tony Hancock went to private school in Swanage apparantely.

Your prompt leads me to think it is in fact Charlie Chaplin. "The kid".

Hmmm....... Maybe not, after checking 1930`s pictures of him.

What`s the link with this pair???post-95959-0-59390400-1458750377_thumb.jpost-95959-0-82530300-1458750396_thumb.j

4026 - the link is fairly arbitrary lines drawn on the modern day map of the Middle East.

Pete.