The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Somme by Martin Gilbert

rose of picardy

Hello to everyone! I have enjoyed reading your forum for several months and finally summoned the courage to register. I have been interested in the Great War since childhood and have read most of the non-academic histories, bios , etc. Book of the Month Club is featuring this book by Martin Gilbert this month. Has anyone here read it? It appears to be more general than tactical-but I may wait for this one to hit the used book ranks. I have liked some of his books about World War II (Churchill, Holocaust), but he seems to issuing them (too?) rapidly recently. His book about Kristellnacht is featured in the same book club circular.

Oops! I did not follow the topic heading convention, I see. I will do so in the future!

Looked at this without buying because I was told that he includes my book in his bibliography and refers to the Swansea Battalion twice.

He is , of course, the author of a well received biography of Churchill and numerous other books. I, too, wondered how he found time to be so profilic. On looking at the Somme book I think its because (on this occasion at least) he's only syntesising the works of other which is quicker than looking ot original records.

Despite this the Somme book contains no footnotes on sources which, again, I guess saves a bit of time. Naturally seeking out the Swansea Battalion quotes I was disappointed to see that he gets the date of the main attack on Mametz Wood wrong by a day. At that I put it back on the shelf.

The Churchill books are superb as his work on the Holocaust. But I'll passs on this one.

Bernard

I have not heard any good commetns about this book, though also I have not heard really bad comments. From that I would gather that it is a run of the mill works, no new ground, just perhaps a narrative of events. If so there are many books out there that can do that.

For me Jack Sheldon's book offers a good perspective from the German side and Peter Hart's publication is really good from the British side.

For me the way foward with the Somme is in depth analysis of individual battles/actions. If you like a more along the lines of the battleground publications but more analytical and in depth.

regards

Arm

This book by Martin Gilbert also got a rather average review from Gary Sheffield in last month's BBC 'History' magazine. Apparently, there are rather a lot of silly errors, and the book offers nothing new on this battle. Super marketing time though from a big name!

Considering the reputation of Gilbert,- the reason I bought it - it's poor plain ans simple for those with knowledge of the battle prior to reading it and for beginners I would recommend Lyn McDonald's Somme, a great read though not based records research.

I bought it and have had 2 or 3 half hearted attempts to read it. Disappointed so far. It seems to be an amalgam of everything that has gone before and takes "futility" as it's leitmotiv. This, together with every cliche about mud, machine guns, barbed wire, lions led etc, etc, offers the reader nothing new. IMHO

Chris C

He is , of course, the author of a well received biography of Churchill and numerous other books.

Bernard

Amongst his other books are his three volume 'History of the Twentieth Century' which gives rather much attention to various ethnic pogroms and is light on detail in other areas. Rather unballanced.

Gilbert does little for me and his Somme book went back on the shelf after a brief browse.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just about finished reading the book. I bought it in July and was excited to start (autographed copy, didn't notice until I got home!) I enjoyed his earlier work on the Great War but this book has left me a little disappointed. At times I was saying "I'm not sure this is quite right". I will finish it but I would not recommend it to anyone. Peter Hart's book is next on the list and from what people are saying I am in for a treat.

RE: Martin Gilbert and Gary Sheffield [Review]

There is no excuse for sloppiness and silly mistakes that can not be rectified through proof and re-reading, and as an eminent historian, Martin Gilbert should have been more thorough. The lack of references and bibliographical detail is also a bit of a let-down. However, to hold the dull and incomparable work of Gary Sheffield up as an example is perhaps stetching the bounds of historical credibility, and while I am unlikely to rush out and buy Gilbert's book, there is every chance that I might re-visit it. I can't really say the same for Dr Sheffield, whose poor attempt at 'revisionism', by padding out his book with a few extra quotes and images, remains a poor substitute for decent debate, and a poor pretender to one of the masters. Gary Sheffield should read and learn, Martin Gilbert still has a lot to offer. Unfortunately, not this time.

Dave

• 7 months later...

Am just about to finish this book. Must say I have enjoyed it. Mistakes apart it has been an easy read and I have to say it is the best book I have read in terms of bringing real people out of words and stats.

Maybe no original research or new perspective nevertheless a book I have enjoyed and learnt somthing new in people terms. Cant knock that.

Dont be so hard on this book.

TT

Sorry - no new meat on the table and too many bits of factually incorrect gristle.

I'd rather a man/woman get their facts right ..

after that I can disagree/agree with his stance on any aspect he/she might take.

Gimme accuracy before opinion .... I will defend the right to opinionated comment but not mistakes which should have been easily picked up on.

Published in 2006 .. says it all.

Sorry.

This is a book like several others which tried to cash in on the Somme 90th. I hope it did not sell well. He should have stuck to Churchill and the Holocaust!

In my view the best recent book on the Somme is the one by Peter Hart mentioned above. As said elsewhere, Martin Gilbert's work, though easy to read , is merely a rehash of secondary sources and fails to take into account recent scholarship. The Hart book does, and is a good read, too. See also Jack Sheldon's groundbreaking 'The German Army on the Somme' which does for that battle what Kershaw's ' It Never Snows in September' (written by another German-speaking ex-British Army officer) did for Arnhem.