The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MG at The Rock, NSW , Australia

montbrehain

While working for my dads business in Australia a good few years back, I had the chance to visit many out of the way places (well, out of the way for me ). If I had chance I would always look for the local war memorial. Some of them had the original weapons that were captured by the Australians and donated to many many towns after the war. I have a few pictures of some of these memorial war trophies if your interested. even then they were starting to disappear . I suppose the reasons were many but here,s a few I have heard ...... The local council did not want to maintain them any more.....they were stolen...... somebody may injure themselves on it..... one of the best I heard was in Queensland, it seems that the local war trophy was removed before the second war because the council were worried that if the Japanese invaded they may get the gun firing again , and so it was scrapped (I kid you not !) I think that many of the ex trophy's have found there way in to collectors ownership, which is preferable to them being scrapped (In my opinion). By far the most common trophy I came across was the Minenwerfer. Anyhow here's the one at a town called "The Rock" in western New South Wales. If anybody can give me an ID on the gun I would be grateful . "MO"post-13272-1184921668.jpg

post-13272-1184921753.jpg

Yes that's the one Kim. As I said I took these years ago and I would like to bet the gun has gone by now ? (unless somebody knows different of course) "MO"