The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Geroge Macpherson - dow on 15 Sep 1916 - tank commander

delta

Still researching the commanders and drivers of the tanks at Battle of Flers-Courcellette

Current strand is George Macpherson (ex RWK) who died of wounds at a CCS on 15 Sep 1916. Does anyone have any more details?

:rolleyes:

Stephen

Do you want me to cruch through the Gazette for some nuts and bolts promotions etc. or do you have that sort of information?

Steve.

SNWM entry

Details

Surname MACPHERSON

Firstname George

Service Number

Date Death 15/09/1916

Decoration

Place of birth

Other

SNWM roll MACHINE GUN CORPS

Rank T/Lt

Theatre of death Unknown

Aye

Malcolm

This would be his family per 1901 Census (3 servants excluded)

"Green Royde", Pedmore Worcestershire.

George Macpherson abt 1852 Scotland Head, J.P. and Schoolmaster.

Hilda Mary Macpherson abt 1869 Pedmore, Worcestershire, England Wife

George Macpherson abt 1896 Pedmore, Worcestershire, England Son

Kathleen Jane Macpherson abt 1895 Pedmore, Worcestershire, England Daughter

Steve.

Details I have are as follows:

Initially commissioned into R West Kents with fellow Wykhamist Basil Henriques and transferred to the HBMGC in Apri 1916. Macpherson was commanding one of two tanks tasked to clear the Quadrilateral to the north east of Glinchy. The ank made it to the objective but Macopherosn did not stay about to support infantry. He was seriously injured, by an artillery round, whilst going back to HQ to report. He was taken to 34 CCS at Grovetown Station but died the same day aged 20. Buried at Grove Town Cemetery, Meaulte Plot IC19. Son of George and Hilda M. Macpherson of "The Lloyd House" near Wolverhampton.

Would welcome any more info; have "crunched" the Gazette but may have missed something - particularly interested in the circumstances of his injury!

Stephen

Is he definitely RWK as I have some EKR Gazette stuff:

LG 28-4-1916

War Office

28th April, 1916.

REGULAR FORCES.

MACHINE GUN CORPS.

The undermentioned offrs. are attached to the Corps for duty: —

14 Apr., 1916.

Lt. A. H. Walker (Shrops. L.I., Spec. Res.).

2nd Lt. R. A. Winder (Midd'x R. (T.F.)).

2nd Lt. G. Macpherson (E. Kent R., Spec. Res.).

2nd Lt. B. L. Q. Henriques (E. Kent R., Spec. Res.).

Temp. 2nd Lt. M. Blakeway, from York and Lanc. R., to be temp, 2nd Lt. 14 Apr., 1916, but with seniority from 10 Mar., 1915.

Percival Jackling to be temp. 2nd Lt. (on prob.). 22 Apr., 1916.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

LG 28-7-1916

War Office,

28th July, 1916.

REGULAR FORCES.

MACHINE GUN CORPS.

Motor Machine Gun Serv.

The undermentioned to be temp. Lts.: —

1 July 1916.

1 July 1916.

Temp. 2nd Lt. F. H. Knight.

2nd Lt. W. J. Wakley (Worc. R., Spec. Res.).

2nd Lt.' D. A. Syme (King Edward's Horse).

Temp. 2nd Lt. E. R. Bertolacci.

2nd Lt. C. W. Creasey (N. Lan. R.).

2nd Lt. E. H. Hickman (Linc. R.).

Temp. 2nd Lt. J. A. E. May.

Temp. 2nd Lt. H. G. Merchant.

Temp. 2nd Lt. R. H. L. De Thierry.

Temp. 2nd Lt. G. H. Loxley.

Temp. 2nd Lt. R. G. W. Stark.

Temp. 2nd Lt. G. S. Grant.

Temp. 2nd Lt. H. S. J. Lloyd.

Temp. 2nd Lt. H. H. Vincent.

Temp. 2nd Lt. A. G. C. Wheeler.

Temp. 2nd Lt. F. W. Bluemel.

Temp. 2nd Lt. J. E. Tull.

Temp. 2nd Lt. H. B. Elliot.

Temp. 2nd Lt. L. J. Bate.

2nd Lt. (on prob.) B. L. Q. Henriques (E. Kent R., Spec. Res.).

2nd Lt. (on prob.) G. Macpherson (E. Kent R., Spec. Res.).

Temp. 2nS Lt. L. W. Strother.

2nd Lt. (on prob.) R. Hallack (K.O. Sco. Bord., Spec. Res.).

Temp. 2nd Lt. C. T. Robinson.

Temp. 2nd Lt. H. M. Swears.

Temp. 2nd Lt. E. R. Parsons.

2nd Lt. H. T. Chalten (R.A. (T.F.).

2nd Lt. F. W. Lister (Worc. Yeo., (T.F.)).

Temp. 2nd Lt. R. McKinnon.

Temp. 2nd Lt. (on prob.) H. S. Sayer.

Temp. 2nd Lt. R. C. Knight.

Temp. 2nd Lt. H. W. Hitchcock.

Temp. 2nd Lt. H. B. Diamond.

Temp. 2nd Lt. C. J. Couch.

Temp. 2nd Lt. G. G. Steven.

2nd Lt. P. P. G. Telfer (Lond. R. (T.F.)).

2nd Lt. S. H. Hastie (High. L.I., Spec. Res.).

Temp. 2nd Lt. A. E. Sharp.

Temp. 2nd Lt. H. R. Bell.

Temp. 2nd Lt. J. L. Bagshaw.

Temp. 2nd Lt. A. E. Arnold.

Temp. 2nd Lt. W. Stones.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

I've included the whole list as a suspect that a fair few will be familiar names to you....

Steve.

EDIT: Henriques is also down as East Kent Regiment. No wonder I couldn't find him (George) at first!

Edited by Stebie9173

• 1 year later...

Delta,

George Macpherson was featured on Matthew Pinsent's WDYTYA tonight. He was Pinsent's great-uncle on his paternal grandmother's side. It appears that he shot himself with his revolver upon returning from his "failed" attack at the Quadilateral. The programme featured Trevor Pidgeon assisting Mr. Pinsent in his search.

Steve.

Yes, I watched this programme tonight too and as soon as I saw this thread I knew it was him.

The references from tonight's programme were harrowing to hear - they told his story in some detail. The details were from an account by Henriques (spelling?) who wrote in depth of the attack, telling how MacPherson's tank initally broke down and Henriques had to go it alone across no-man's land but then turned back under heavy fire, by which time MacPherson's tank was mobile again and he went forward, only to have to return as well. It was at this point, down a lane, he get out of the tank and walked some distance away and shot himself. No-one knows the reason why, only assumptions can be made.

They also covered two other members of Matthew Pinsent's family who died in WWI with some good film footage of the war Enriques included.

Didn't the programme say that he was 19 years old at the time and it was thought that he would have set off having been told that the fate of 3 divisions of the Army was in his hands by his actions that day.

Unbearable for anyone, let alone a young and inexperienced officer.

Kate

Don't know if you saw Who Do You Think You Are Tonight? George MacPherson was the brother of the maternal grandmother (I think!!) of the Olympic Rower Matthew Pinsent. Trevor Pidgeon described how his tank broke down and was restarted but failed to make any impact. MacPherson felt he had been a failure and apparently shot himself. The programme went to his school where the records showed him as died of wounds (commiitted suicide). Incidently, Matthew Pinsent's paternal grandfather lost a brother at Gallipoli and another flying with the RFC.

Lieutenant George Macpherson.

Son of G. Macpherson Esq., of Wolverhampton - was born on March 7th, 1896, and came to Winchester from Lockers Park: He was Senior Co. Prae. form 1914 to 1915 and played for two years in Association XI.

He obtained a commission soon after leaving school in the East Kent Regiment and was transferred thence in April 1916 to the Machine Gun Corps, eventually joining a Tank Squadron. He fell near Albert on September 15th, 1916, in one of the earliest Tank attacks.

Source: Wykehamists Who Died in The War 1914 - 1918, Volume IV, Page 30-31.

Andy

• 7 months later...

I am a new member who is researching the attack by tanks C19, C20 & C22 on the Quadrilateral (Sidow Hohe) as a part of the general attack by the 6th Div (71st & 16th Bgdes) on 15/9/1916. There is some dispute as to the apparent suicide of George MacPherson (see Peter Hart: "The Somme" pp 404 & Christy Campbell: "Band of Brigands", pp203). It is worth digging out the memoire & biography of Basil Henriques. By the way he went to Harrow not Winchester. I also have a great respect for the work of Trevor Pidgeon & I was about to open a discussion with him when he sadly became ill & died. I will be most grateful if anyone can throw further light on the events of that day especially about the 1st Bn. Leicestershire regt (71st Bgde).

Colin Hardy

Colin - welcome to the Forum

There is undoubted dispute as to the circumstances of George Macpherson's death - what exactly did Basil Henriques write.

Whilst I don't wish to challenge a newcomer, could you please confirm the source of your statement re his attendance at Harrow. Certainly he appears in the list of Wykhamist who served - was he at both schools?

Stephen

• 5 weeks later...
Colin - welcome to the Forum

There is undoubted dispute as to the circumstances of George Macpherson's death - what exactly did Basil Henriques write.

Whilst I don't wish to challenge a newcomer, could you please confirm the source of your statement re his attendance at Harrow. Certainly he appears in the list of Wykhamist who served - was he at both schools?

Stephen

Stephen: Details of Basil Henriques' schooling can be found on page 3 of his memoires: "Indiscretion of a Warden". I quote: "I was brought up in comparative luxury at home, but not extravagantly, and before going to Harrow was sent to two excellent preparatory schools, first to Elstree and then to Locker's Park." Interesting that that is the same prep school as Geo. Macpherson! See also "Basil Henriques: A Portrait" by his brother-in-law L.L.Loewe.

Recently I discovered in the Tank Museum archives Henriques' "Lecture on the Attack on the Quadrilateral". This was given at Bovington in March, 1917. It includes maps which show the actual route of the tanks from Chimpanzee valley to Wedge Wood. It seems that Trevor Pigeon did not see this document hence his interpretation that they went to the west of Angle Wood & mine that they went east of Angle Wood were both wrong!

Currently I am revisiting the relationship between Basil & George & what happened between the 13th & 15th Sept., 1916 & subsequent events. E-mails & telephone calls have so far taken me from Aberdeenshire to London Rabbis & synagogues!

Colin

Colin - brilliant bit of research.

I understood Henrqiques went to Harrow (as did others who served with the Tanks) but don't udnerstand how Macpherson went to Harrow if he appears in the list of Wykhamists.

The extract posted reads to me as if George McPherson went to one of the Preparatory schools of Elstree or Locker's Park, rather than Harrow.

Steve.

Colin - brilliant bit of research.

I understood Henrqiques went to Harrow (as did others who served with the Tanks) but don't udnerstand how Macpherson went to Harrow if he appears in the list of Wykhamists.

He didn't! George was a Wykemist & Basil an Old Harrovian. But both went to Locker's Park prep. School, Hemel Hempstead but at different times.

Colin

The mists clear... thank you

Stephen

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Have just come across this picture on e-bay

It was MacPherson's tank on 15 September but later had a number of commanders.

Rob Martin says the tank being abandoned on 15 November 1916 - presumably near Beaumont Hamel - but I have never seen this image before.

Any idea where the tank was photographed

Stephen