The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Seton James Montgomery 3rd Batt Welsh Reg

marine pete

Looking for Seton James Montgomery 3rd Batt Welsh Regiment Returned after the War to the Middlesbrough / Cleveland / North Yorkshire Area. Any Information Please regards Peter.

Is it passable that some kind person can get hold of his MIC for me Kind Regards Peter.

Peter

There is a Seton James Montgomery born in 1889 in Fauldhouse, West Lothian. He appears in the 1891 and 1901 Scottish Census:

1891 Census 16 Hope Street, Duddingston, Portobello, Midlothian

George Montgomery, 30

Alison Montgomery, 32

Alison T Montgomery, 3

Seton J Montgomery, 1

1901 Census Gilmerton Schoolhouse, Liberton, Midlothian

George Montgomery, 40, Schoolmaster

Alison S Montgomery, 42

Alison T Montgomery, 13

Seton J Montgomery, 11

Helen M Montgomery, 9

George Heriot School Roll of Service has a - Seton J Montgomery - Lieut 15th Royal Scots which may be him.

There is also a MIC which could be him:

Lieut, Montgomery, S.J.

R Scots

Welch R

No address for issue

British War Medal

Victory Medal

Served in France 17th April 1917 to 12th May 1917

Back of Card:

Letters from Lt Col AGM Maitland Canadian Army Staff College in 68/Medals/379/1/1/66

Regards

Pam

Peter

There is a Seton James Montgomery born in 1889 in Fauldhouse, West Lothian. He appears in the 1891 and 1901 Scottish Census:

1891 Census 16 Hope Street, Duddingston, Portobello, Midlothian

George Montgomery, 30

Alison Montgomery, 32

Alison T Montgomery, 3

Seton J Montgomery, 1

1901 Census Gilmerton Schoolhouse, Liberton, Midlothian

George Montgomery, 40, Schoolmaster

Alison S Montgomery, 42

Alison T Montgomery, 13

Seton J Montgomery, 11

Helen M Montgomery, 9

George Heriot School Roll of Service has a - Seton J Montgomery - Lieut 15th Royal Scots which may be him.

There is also a MIC which could be him:

Lieut, Montgomery, S.J.

R Scots

Welch R

No address for issue

British War Medal

Victory Medal

Served in France 17th April 1917 to 12th May 1917

Back of Card:

Letters from Lt Col AGM Maitland Canadian Army Staff College in 68/Medals/379/1/1/66

Regards

Pam

Thank you Pam Regards Peter.

If it turns out he's an Officer of the Welsh Regt, try sending a PM to "Dave W", who has extensively researched these.

He may in his turn find Pam's details of value.

LST_164

If it turns out he's an Officer of the Welsh Regt, try sending a PM to "Dave W", who has extensively researched these.

LST_164

Thank you LST 164 Regards Peter.

LST_164

Thanks LST164 / Dave W?

• 2 weeks later...

Pete,

sorry, back from holiday now - go to the Members section (in blue at the top of the page) and initiate a search for a member with the identity Dave W . He hasn't many posts listed (about 10) since 2006 but he's your man!

This should bring up his basic details, and enable you to send a Personal Message directly to him.

LST_164

• 1 month later...

Pete

I have found out a little more and found an entry in the Nominal Roll of the officers of 18th Bn Welsh Regt. As you know the 3rd Bn was a home service Bn from which officers were posted to an active duty Bn. It would seem that his overseas service was rather swiftly curtailed by shell shock.

I have updated his entry in my Roll of Services of Officers of the Welsh Regt., you will note that the dates fit exactly with those stated to be his overseas service on his Medal index card.

Montgomery,S.J: 3rd (Special Reserve) Bn Welsh Regt., & Brigade Machine Gun Officer att 18th (2nd Glamorgan Bantam) Service) Bn Welsh Regt.

T/Capt: 17.6.15.

Medal index card indicates Lt. Royal Scots, and Lt. Welsh Regiment.

T/Capt. S.J.Montgomery, from Gen. List, was appt. T/Capt. Welsh Regt. (attd.). 13.9.17., with seniority 17.6.15., serving with 3rd Bn Welsh Regt., at home awaiting a posting to an active service Bn.

Capt. (A/Major) S.J.Montgomery was appointed Brigade Machine Gun Officer and served in France att. to 18th 2nd (Glamorgan Bantam) Bn Welsh Regt., to be T/Capt. att. 13.9.17. with seniority from 17.6.15. (L.G. 15.11.17.).

Joined 18th Bn for Temp. duty as Senior Major, 17.4.17.

Admitted to Field Ambulance (sick) 3.5.17. To 136 FA 3.5.17. (nervous debility).

Medical Examination at 48 Casualty Clearing Station on 5.5.17. where he was determined to be suffering from nervous debility.

Admitted to No.2 BRX (British Red Cross Hospital) 8.5.17. (debility and neurasthenia).

Repatriated to England (29th Ambulance Train) ex 2 BRX 12.5.17.

To England per Hospital Ship, 'Essequibo', 12.5.17. ex 2 BRX (neurasthenia).

Born about 1890, the son of George and Alison Montgomery, of Duddington, Midlothian Scotland. His MIC indicates that his medals were not claimed until 1968, and is annotated 'Served in France 17th April 1917 to 12th May 1917'.

A Seton J.Montgomery, (Lieut 15th Royal Scots) is listed in the George Heriot School Roll of Service. Entitled to the BWM & VM (Lt.). Issued in 1968.

T/Capt. S.J.Montgomery, Welch Regt. relinquished his commission on completion of service, 1.9.21., and retained the rank of Capt.

All the best

Dave

Pete

I have found out a little more and found an entry in the Nominal Roll of the officers of 18th Bn Welsh Regt. As you know the 3rd Bn was a home service Bn from which officers were posted to an active duty Bn. It would seem that his overseas service was rather swiftly curtailed by shell shock.

I have updated his entry in my Roll of Services of Officers of the Welsh Regt., you will note that the dates fit exactly with those stated to be his overseas service on his Medal index card.

Montgomery,S.J: 3rd (Special Reserve) Bn Welsh Regt., & Brigade Machine Gun Officer att 18th (2nd Glamorgan Bantam) Service) Bn Welsh Regt.

T/Capt: 17.6.15.

Medal index card indicates Lt. Royal Scots, and Lt. Welsh Regiment.

T/Capt. S.J.Montgomery, from Gen. List, was appt. T/Capt. Welsh Regt. (attd.). 13.9.17., with seniority 17.6.15., serving with 3rd Bn Welsh Regt., at home awaiting a posting to an active service Bn.

Capt. (A/Major) S.J.Montgomery was appointed Brigade Machine Gun Officer and served in France att. to 18th 2nd (Glamorgan Bantam) Bn Welsh Regt., to be T/Capt. att. 13.9.17. with seniority from 17.6.15. (L.G. 15.11.17.).

Joined 18th Bn for Temp. duty as Senior Major, 17.4.17.

Admitted to Field Ambulance (sick) 3.5.17. To 136 FA 3.5.17. (nervous debility).

Medical Examination at 48 Casualty Clearing Station on 5.5.17. where he was determined to be suffering from nervous debility.

Admitted to No.2 BRX (British Red Cross Hospital) 8.5.17. (debility and neurasthenia).

Repatriated to England (29th Ambulance Train) ex 2 BRX 12.5.17.

To England per Hospital Ship, 'Essequibo', 12.5.17. ex 2 BRX (neurasthenia).

Born about 1890, the son of George and Alison Montgomery, of Duddington, Midlothian Scotland. His MIC indicates that his medals were not claimed until 1968, and is annotated 'Served in France 17th April 1917 to 12th May 1917'.

A Seton J.Montgomery, (Lieut 15th Royal Scots) is listed in the George Heriot School Roll of Service. Entitled to the BWM & VM (Lt.). Issued in 1968.

T/Capt. S.J.Montgomery, Welch Regt. relinquished his commission on completion of service, 1.9.21., and retained the rank of Capt.

All the best

Dave

Dave Thanks For the Information Best Regards peter.

Dave Thanks For the Information Best Regards peter.

Is there any possablity that somone can get hold of his Medal Index Card for me with Kind Regards Peter.

Here you go. Hope its the right one:

post-8059-1220189160.jpg

Susan.

• 4 years later...

Robert, thanks for this link! Now I know that this is him.

Glad to help :thumbsup:

Google is where I have found a few different things using just names and rank or some different combinations, so try it in the future!

regards

Robert

• 7 years later...

Hi Peter

I don't know if you are still interested in Seton James Montgomery, but I came across him recently as a patient in Craiglockhart War  Hospital.  The hospital magazine, The Hydra (21 July 1917) noted Montgomery (1889-1966) and Miss Margaret Home Crawford (1898-) were married on Wednesday 11 July 1917 in West St Giles Church. I got a copy of the marriage entry from ScotlandsPeople and can email it to you if you want.

Cheers

Roger