The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Famous

iain mchenry

Just finished reading the abovementioned book and was highly impressed with it. For those not aware of it, the book covers the wartime stories of a number of "famous" people, most of whom made famous after WW1. To give a few examples of who is covered; basil Rathbone, Bernard Montgomery, George Mallory, JRR Tolkien, John Christie, AA Milne, Harold Macmillan, Ned Parfett, Arnold Ridley and many others. I found the chapter on Arnold Ridley, Godfrey from Dads Army, very interesting indeed. I was very moved by the story of Ned Parfett, the small boy captured in the famous photo of 1912 holding the billboard saying "Titanic Disaster Great Loss of Life", who went on to serve in WW1. An excellent book to add to the collection.

Iain

• 1 month later...

There is great interest on the GWF on the war service of men who went on to become famous. In fact, I noted today that there is a post today about the actor Charles Laughton. I am therefore very surprised that there has not been any other post on this book. Laughton is actually not one of the 20 men whose war service is studied. However his peers Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce each have a chapter devoted to their war years. I must own up and say that I am good friends with Richard. However, friendships aside, I really do think the book is very well produced with a broad spectrum of subjects chosen, from future Prime Ministers (Churchill & Macmillan) & military leaders (Monty) to a serial killer (John Christie). I was most pleased that Ned Parfett’s story was told, having put Richard in touch with Dom Walsh. Maps are nicely done and could easily be used when actually on the battlefield to retrace the steps of the men covered whilst the photo section is very nicely put together. I’m sure that it’ll be a great addition to the battlefield guide’s library.

Whilst there is obviously some material taken from these men’s memoirs, there is also much original research. I would thoroughly recommend it as a cracking read and my particular favourite chapter covers Arnold Ridley’s story. It is very well done and certainly dispels his ‘Private Godfrey’ persona. All the recent newspaper copy on his wartime service (as commented upon on the forum) was actually taken from this book.

Highly recommended reading.

Jeremy