The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Theft of Military Cross

AlanCurragh

Hard to know what to say about this - except for any medal collectors to keep a look out for it in case it comes up for sale.

Alan

==

Burglars stole a Military Cross awarded to a World War I hero from a house just miles from the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire.

Police said the medal was taken from a house in Deepmore Close, Alrewas, over the weekend.

It was given to Sgt William Houghton who crossed enemy lines to save a wounded comrade in July 1918.

Hundreds marked the 90th anniversary of the end of World War I on Remembrance Sunday at the memorial in Alrewas.

Sgt Houghton was the father-in-law of the house's owner.

Jewellery and a 42-inch television were also taken during the burglary.

"This was a callous theft which has left the family devastated," Pc Wayne Rogers said.

"The medal is only given for exceptional acts of bravery and I would appeal for anyone with information about the theft to contact police as a matter of urgency."

The owner's father-in-law was a sergeant in the King's Liverpool Regiment.

Officers think his medal may have been offered to a collector or a second-hand dealer.

They have urged anyone who may be offered a Military Cross to contact them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/7719960.stm

Hard to know what to say about this - except for any medal collectors to keep a look out for it in case it comes up for sale.

A Military Cross? To a Sergeant? :blink:

I always thought that (pre-1993) MC's only went to Warrant Officers and Commissioned Officers of Captain and below rank. They were also issued unnamed.

Is it actually a Military Medal that's gone?

dave.

...it is a MM (not MC) ... http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=13

L.G. - 3/11/1918

I happily acknowledge I know nothing about medals but an MC for a sergeant? Can't currently find it in the LG.

I see my message has crossed.

Someone should advise the Police they are looking for the wrong thing then. :unsure:

Bill - I also know next to nothing about medals, and freely admit that I wasn't aware that MCs were not awarded to sergeants!

In any case, let's hope it can be returned to the family

Alan

Bill - I've emailed Staffordshire police to ensure they know it is an MM not an MC to look out for

Alan

Bill - I've emailed Staffordshire police to ensure they know it is an MM not an MC to look out for

Alan

I did so as well and got an acknowledgement saying my "comments (and others of a similar nature) to the officer who wrote the press release for the details to be confirmed and amended".

I guess they have heard from a lot of us!

David

Of course, the big advantage of looking for an MM as opposed to an MC is that the former is identifiable (name on rim) whereas the latter was issued unnamed and would therefore be almost impossible to find and identify as belonging to the family concerned.

Ken