The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Henry Collins

AKEY

My name is Phillip Akester (Akey), I am 11 years old. I'm helping my grandad research my 4 times great uncle, Henry Collins who was killed 9 May 1915 at the Battle of Aubers Ridge. He was in the 2nd Battn King's Royal Rifle Corps, his Army No. 3085. He served as 'George Collingwood' (See CWGC under Henry Collins, but why?). He joined up in 1900 at the age of 20 (born 1880 at Great Yarmouth). The CWGC say that he died at the age of 28, he wasn't that age, he was 35. We have found his M.I.C also his soldiers records, also 1881, 91, 01 census. His brother was Fredrick Collins lived at 10 Cremorne Tce, Buckingham St, Hull. Henry's mother died in 1899 and his father died in 1900, so he joined the Army. Medals forwarded to Mr W J Collins, 12 Cremorne Tce. 1914 Star, British War and Victory medals. Served South Africa, 11-12-01 to 26-6-03. Also Bermunda from 16-3-04 to 24-10-05, also France 1914 to 1915. On 19-8-08 transfered to 4th KRRC. Please could someone fill in the gaps between 1900 and 1915. Was he in the Boer War? What happend at Bermunda? This is my first forum attempt.

Thank You

Akey

Welcome to the forum Akey,

It's nice and reasuring to see an 11 year old here on the forum. To get you started, here's George's entry from Soldier's that Died in the Great War (SDGW). A search using Henry Collins does show another man with that name in the 2nd Bn KRRC.

On the 9th May 1915 the battalion took part in an attack on enemy trenches in front of Rue du Bois. They advanced at 5.25am under heavy fire. They were ordered to retire at 7.30am. Later withdrew to Essars, then Bellerive. Casualties -251 killed, wounded and missing.

Jon

post-15439-1226769182.jpg

Akey

Hello & welcome to the forum

Between you and your Grandad you have already collected a lot of information regarding your Great Uncle.

He is listed under the SDGW (Soldiers Died in the Great War) database as George Collingwood

Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919

Name: George COLLINGWOOD

Regiment, Corps etc.: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Battalion etc.: 2nd Battalion.

4.8.14 Blackdown: 2nd Bde. 1st Div. 13.8.14 landed at Havre. 11.11.18 2nd Bde. 1st Div. France; Fresnoy le Grand, S.W. of Bohain.

Last name: Collingwood

First name(s): George

Initials: G

Birthplace: Yarmouth

Enlisted: Sheffield

Residence: Hull

Number: 3085

Date died: 9 May 1915

How died: Killed in action

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Hope this is of some use to you, although so far you have done a great job of finding out as much as you have. And i am sure some other forum members will be able to help you out with regards to any information covering the years 1900-1915.

Ellie

His service in South Africa was during the 2nd Boer War and he looks to have served through the guerilla phase. He should be entitled to 2 medals for that service, I reckon - the Queen`s and King`s South Africa medals. (SA experts might confirm that). The service in Bermuda was probably of a garrison nature, just "keeping things safe"!

Hi Akey

I'm looking into the background history of Henry Collins. Can you give me his parent's details so I can follow it through on Ancestry myself. Have found a family which I think is yours but before I delve deeper I'd like to know I'm on the right one. Am searching for the Collingwood connection.

Belated WELCOME from me.

Regards Barry

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Nov 15 2008, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
His service in South Africa was during the 2nd Boer War and he looks to have served through the guerilla phase. He should be entitled to 2 medals for that service, I reckon - the Queen`s and King`s South Africa medals. (SA experts might confirm that).

Judging from the dates he served in South Africa (11-12-01 to 26-6-03) he wouldn't have qualified for the King's South Africa Medal (had to have served 18 months prior to 1st June 1902). Instead the Queens' South Africa Medal would have been awarded with the clasps "South Africa 1901" and "South Africa 1902" in addition to any others he was entitled to.

Regards

Steve

Hi Akey

I presume you've seen on George Collingwood's records that he was awarded the 1901/2 South Africa medal and clasp. He was a bugler and reverted to Rifleman at his request. Medals sent to William J Collins 1920( I think he was born 1873, aged 46 yrs in 1919, very faded on records).

Regards Barry

I see from his records that he was awarded the "Orange Free State" and "South Africa 1902" clasps for his Queen's South Africa Medal. I assume from this that although he served in South Africa at the end of 1901 he didn't serve at the front until 1902.

Steve

Judging from the dates he served in South Africa (11-12-01 to 26-6-03) he wouldn't have qualified for the King's South Africa Medal (had to have served 18 months prior to 1st June 1902). Instead the Queens' South Africa Medal would have been awarded with the clasps "South Africa 1901" and "South Africa 1902" in addition to any others he was entitled to.

Regards

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for information. I'll look into that a lot more.

Cheers

Akey

Hi Akey

I'm looking into the background history of Henry Collins. Can you give me his parent's details so I can follow it through on Ancestry myself. Have found a family which I think is yours but before I delve deeper I'd like to know I'm on the right one. Am searching for the Collingwood connection.

Belated WELCOME from me.

Regards Barry

Barry,

Thanks for this. His parents were William Collins, born Norwich in 1838 and Mary Ann Collins, born Starcross, Devon in 1841 (See 1881 Census). Hope this helps.

Cheers

Akey

Akey

Hello & welcome to the forum

Between you and your Grandad you have already collected a lot of information regarding your Great Uncle.

He is listed under the SDGW (Soldiers Died in the Great War) database as George Collingwood

Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919

Name: George COLLINGWOOD

Regiment, Corps etc.: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Battalion etc.: 2nd Battalion.

4.8.14 Blackdown: 2nd Bde. 1st Div. 13.8.14 landed at Havre. 11.11.18 2nd Bde. 1st Div. France; Fresnoy le Grand, S.W. of Bohain.

Last name: Collingwood

First name(s): George

Initials: G

Birthplace: Yarmouth

Enlisted: Sheffield

Residence: Hull

Number: 3085

Date died: 9 May 1915

How died: Killed in action

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Hope this is of some use to you, although so far you have done a great job of finding out as much as you have. And i am sure some other forum members will be able to help you out with regards to any information covering the years 1900-1915.

Ellie

Hello,

Thank you for the reply that you sent us last night, it was a great help. Do you need any other info on him?

Cheers

Akey