The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

c/12722 Matthew Henry Broadley

hooge1

Hi forum members,

c/12722 Matthew Henry Broadley

In this soldiers service records it states for a time he was servant to an officer called Eden around the date of 3/7/17 my question is was this Anthony Eden?

Or can anyone tell me how many officers with the name Eden served in 21 KRRC around this time?

Regards

Nick

Nick

A fair chance this was THE Anthony Eden,as he did serve in the 21st KRRC,going on to be the youngest Brigade Major in the British Army at the age of 21. Your man's correct title would have been a Batman !

I would think that a read of the War Diary would show how many Officer Edens there were,they at least were always named !

Sotonmate

Hi Nick

I have checked medal index cards, com war graves commission, soldiers died in great war and found only 3 officers serving with Kings Royal Rifles (G B Eden 4th KRRC, W A M Eden 4th KRRC (kia 1915) and A R Eden 21st KRRC ). Hope this helps

Mick

Would Robert Anthony Eden still have been a Lt on 3/7/17 as Broadley's records state he was servant to a Lt Eden 3/7/17 how can you find out dates when Eden was promoted?

Nick

You could try the London Gazette.

Sotonmate

Hi Nick

London Gazette 4 Jun 1917 issue 30111 page 5478 States T./2nd Lt. (T'./Lt.) Robert Anthony Eden, K.R.R.C. awarded MC. It shows that he was only an acting Lieutenant.

He wasnt made up to Captain unit June 1919. London Gazette 30 Aug 1920 issue 32034 page 8849 Temp. Lt. R. A. Eden, M.C., 13th June 1919, and is granted the rank of Capt.

Mick

Thanks Chaps,

This all seems to prove that in fact he did serve as the batman to Robert Anthony Eden, great stuff thanks for all your help.

Regards

Nick

In Remembrance c/12722 Matthew Henry Broadley KIA Neuve Eglise 13th April 1918

Nick,

Sorry I've come into this late, but I've been away from the Forum!

We've had a few interesting threads on the 21st (Service) Battalion (Yeoman Rifles), King's Royal Rifle Corps (i.e. 21/KRRC) in the last couple of weeks.

They're well worth a look if you have connections to the Yeoman Rifles.

A Search on 21st KRRC Yeoman Rifles should throw them up quite quickly.

Cheers,

Mark