The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

200 up. Brothers Died in the Great War

Chris_Baker

Some Forum pals will recall that I started to list sets of borothers who were known to have died on the same day, from a discussion on this very site. The list today hit the 200th set of brothers: http://www.1914-1918.net/brothersdied.htm

I am sure that if I dig around on the forum and into my email inbox there are some others to which I have been alerted but not yet added. I will get around to them. Meanwhile, if anyone else finds sets of brothers like this, please do let me know.

Chris, I e-mailed you some time ago with two sets of brothers (Light and Curtis) who went down on the "Royal Edward" in August '15. They don't appear to be on your list: do you wish me to send again?

Chris,

re. the Phillips brothers, Fred and William Arthur, 16th RWF, Mametz Wood 11 July 1916.

Granted their details are shown as Whitchurch, Shropshire in official records, they actually lived in Hanmer village, 6 miles away across the border in (old) Flintshire (now Wrexham). Their pictures and names are on the Roll in the parish church there, and the local war memorial, Flintshire Roll of Honour, North Wales Heroes Memorial Arch etc.

A third brother, Sydney, was involved in the same unit and action but came out of it unscathed.

LST_164

Edit - Sydney in fact was (then or later) shellshocked to a degree which impaired the rest of his life

The Jackson brothers - 28 April 1917

JACKSON, GEORGE OLAF DAMIEN CEADDA

Initials: G O D C

Nationality: Canadian

Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry (Alberta Regiment)

Unit Text: 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 28/04/1917

Additional information: Son of the late Rev. Joseph and Elizabeth Jackson, of Holy Trinity Vicarage, Bampton, Oxon. By the deaths of G. O. D. C. Jackson and his brother Lt. H. A. L. C. Jackson, of the same Regiment, on the same day and in the same action, this branch of the family becomes extinct.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. D. 10.

Cemetery: AUBIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

JACKSON, HUGO ANTONY LAUNCELOT CEADDA

Initials: H A L C

Nationality: Canadian

Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry (Alberta Regiment)

Unit Text: 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 28/04/1917

Additional information: Son of the late Rev. Joseph and Elizabeth Jackson, of Holy Trinity Vicarage, Bampton, Oxon. By the deaths of H A L C Jackson and his brother Lt. G O D C Jackson, of the same Regiment, on the same day and in the same action, this branch of the family becomes extinct.

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. H. 3.

Cemetery: ECOIVRES MILITARY CEMETERY, MONT-ST. ELOI

The Wilkinson brothers - 1 July 1916

WILKINSON, GERALD

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)

Unit Text: 15th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 15/982

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 2 A 2 C and 2 D.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

WILKINSON, REGINALD

Initials: R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)

Unit Text: 15th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 15/984

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 2 A 2 C and 2 D.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

"Ulleskelf stationmaster’s son killed

Another wounded and missing

Mr and Mrs F Wilkinson, of Ulleskelf, have suffered a heavy bereavement, one of their sons Lance-Corporal Gerald Wilkinson, having been killed in action on July 1st, whilst another, Private Reginald Wilkinson, was wounded on the same day, and has since been reported as missing. Their comrades, in letters of sympathy to the parents, state that both were splendid soldiers, and fought with great bravery.

Mr Wilkinson, who is the much-respected stationmaster at Ulleskelf, is a native of York, and the two sons referred to are on the city’s Roll of Freedom.

Lance-Corporal Gerald Wilkinson, who was 30 years of age, was the third son of Mr and Mrs Wilkinson; he was educated at Ulleskelf School, and had been employed as a booking-clerk on the North Eastern Railway at Leeds. In September 1914 he enlisted in one of the Pals Battalions of the West Yorkshire Regiment, and went on foreign service, when his unit was ordered to Egypt, to be drafted later to the Western Front.

Private Reginald Wilkinson, wounded and missing, was 27 years of age, and the fourth son; he was educated at Priory-street School, York. Previous to joining the same battalion as his brother Gerald he was in the employment of the North Eastern Railway Company as a goods clerk at Crossgates.

Mr Wilkinson’s second son, Pte. J. E. Wilkinson, who was educated at Ulleskelf School and his fifth and youngest son Pte. Wilfrid Wilkinson, an old boy of Priory-street School, York, are in training in England.

Yorkshire Herald 31st July 1916"

Brothers?

I was searching the cwgc website on Ypres Reservoir cemetery, before a visit earlier this year and came across two graves side by side with the name Styles (see photo). The cwgc database doesn't state they are brothers.

19685 W L Styles, KIA 20/03/16

18229 S Styles, KIA 20/03/16

Both served in the 1st Bn Grenadier Guards, arrived in France on the same day and Died on the same day.

I searched the 1901 census and found a William L Styles with a younger brother with the inital S, but couldn't tell what is brothers' name was.

I also found William on Soldiers who died in the Great War but not S.

Hope you find the above interesting and of help to your list or for someone with a bit more know how to research further.

Thanks,

post-46928-1246382859.jpg