The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Handbook of Imperial Germany

joerookery

They have started selling this book rather rapidly even though amazingly, we have yet to see our copy! A number of people have been very kind in their words awaiting this release. You can buy it for $25 from the publisher online. They have a printer in England which should help the postage costs somewhat. So I guess if you order from Europe they have told me they would print it in England. If you wait for the retailers to stock it it will cost $30.

http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemD...px?bookid=60521

The purpose of this book is to provide a one-volume resource for collectors and historians with an Imperial German army interest. The more we researched, the more we found there were more stories, myths and misunderstandings about Imperial Germany than there were facts. Different authors addressed different aspects: collectors, historians and educators all had their own area of expertise, but there was no readily available resource to give a general overview of Imperial Germany. Though it is convenient to call it "Germany," at the start of the First World War, there was still no united Germany, no German army, and no German officer corps. At 333 pages with 183 pictures and over 670 footnotes, this is an attempt to explain the intricacies of how the country worked -- militarily, politically and socially.

If you order it online: When you get to step three the requirement for your e-mail address is buried in the middle of the form. If you do not put in an e-mail address it will hang up. Janet and I are just shaking our heads, figuring that the review copies, and the general public will have theirs before we get ours!

post-4227-1254487703.jpg

Well, if Jack Sheldon thinks it's (a) Tour de Force, then it must be good.

I don't fully understand the comment about printing in England: do you mean it will be printed to order, or will they print in England if enough orders are forthcoming?

Steven

I saw it in draft form a couple of times. The amount of work which has gone into it is astonishing and, as Joe says, the idea is to provide a reference work which can be dipped into for quick reference or read in parts for greater depth of understanding. It will be a valuable addition to any colleciotn.

Jack

I don't fully understand the comment about printing in England: do you mean it will be printed to order, or will they print in England if enough orders are forthcoming?

My normal crummy explanation! This entire book is printed on demand. So if you order one. Then the printer in England will print one and mail it to you. The only time they do bulk is for something like Barnes & Noble. But then the price goes up, and all sorts of people get their hands involved. you can get a discount if you order 100 or more. Somehow I don't think you would need that many!

Jack thanks for the kind words and all of your help!

Great - think I'll have to contact the publisher. Not sure Mrs B would go for 100 <_<

Our copy arrived this morning! Other people started receiving their copies yesterday. The review copies have yet to be mailed out! This is an interesting business. Nice book my first impression is that it is larger than I thought. About the size of a full sheet of paper with 300+ pages. Pretty big with a lot of data in there.

Well, with that endorsement and having seen the contents list I just had to order a copy - can't wait for it to turn up!

Hi,

ordered my copy on Monday and it was here today when I got in from work.

First impressions are very good and I have learnt quite a bit after the first skim through.

regards

John

Got my copy and it will go great with all my other bits of Imperial Germany I have.

The book is well worth getting if you have a interest in Imperial Germany at the start of WW1 and before.

I ordered my copy last week and it arrived here in Australia via DHL this morning. From a very brief skim it certainly is as Jack Sheldon said a "Tour de Force". My only critique of it would be the contrast and size of graphics, particularly the copied maps.

I am very much looking forward to trying to absorb the tremendous amount of knowledge the Robinson's have presented in this fine handbook.

Cheers,

Hendo

Agree with the above - now near the top of my "to read" pile!

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't resist posting this picture from a Dutch reader.

I could not wait to send you this caricature of Oberleutnant Forstner in Avernes ( Zabern) of the anti German artist Hansi as my “pictorial comment” on your page 123.

Hansi’s text in the picture means: “Like in Savernes ( Zabern), 42 years after the annexation, Herr Oberleutnant v. Forstner goes shopping for a bar of chocolate.”

Note his bodyguard and the Alsatian people ridiculing and mocking him.

post-4227-1256996161.jpg

• 2 months later...

I get paid next week. Must get round to ordering.