The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Driving in Belgium

healdav

It has just been announced by the Belgian Transport Minister that in future any driver stopped by the police in Belgium for any reason at all will be breathalysed. Penalties will range from 35€ to infinite with up to 6 months prison.

The limit in Belgium is 0.5

And any reason means any. If they are checking driving licences or just telling you that the road is blocked by snow; that's it.

I agree with Phil.

But, for clarification, 0.5 what?

Something to do with millilitres per thousand. I am not sure but I think in the UK it is about 0.8 which means that even one bottle of many Belgian beers will put you over the limit. The UK limit is reckoned to be 3 units of alcohol so this would be about two. You have been warned!

The problem is the next morning. You have to be aware how much you drank the night before and how long it takes to get out the system.

Well that means the Hull - Zeebrugge ferry will be seeing less of my money over the bar the evening before we land in Belgium.

regards

Tom

0.5 is the limit in France too. One small bottle of beer takes you to the max. The days when les routiers truck drivers sunk a full bottle of red with their lunch are well gone! I'm sure you meant 350 Es Healdav!

0.5 is the limit in France too. One small bottle of beer takes you to the max. The days when les routiers truck drivers sunk a full bottle of red with their lunch are well gone! I'm sure you meant 350 Es Healdav!

This is the announcement here:

Le Secrétaire d'Etat à la Mobilité, Etienne Schouppe et la Ministre de l'intérieur, Annemie Turtelboom ont conclu un accord sur les contrôles d'alcoolémie en Belgique.

Ainsi, selon la presse belge, pour chaque contrôle de police, le conducteur devra systématiquement se soumettre à un test d'alcoolémie.

En plus de vérifier les papiers et le port de la ceinture, les policiers belges devront aussi contrôler le taux d'alcoolémie du conducteur qui se fait arrêter, même s'il ne s'agit que d'un contrôle de routine.

"En quelque sorte, le contrôle BOB s'étendra sur les 365 jours de l'année" explique le Secrétaire d'Etat à la Mobilité, Etienne Schouppe sur rtlinfo.be, et les contrôles pourront avoir lieu à tout moment de la journée.

Sachez que si vous dépassez le taux d'alcool autorisé de 0,5 g/l, vous encourez une amende de 25 à 500 euros pour un taux entre 0,5 et 0,8 g/l. Et jusqu'à 1700 euros au-delà avec une peine de prison allant de 15 jours à 6 mois.[/b]

The relevant bit is the last line (sorry I mistyped): If you are over 0.5 g/l you risk a fine of between 25 and 500 € and after that a fine of up to 1700 € with a prison sentence of between 15 days and 6 months.

Last Demeber, I was driving my car from Ypres out to Varlet Farm on Saturday evening. I had four others in my car, and a further four in the car folowing us. The Police were stopping every fourth car, and mine was it. I was pulled over and spoken to most politely. My friends in the other car were not allowed to stop, which was a little inconvenient as they were following me, and I knew the way. The Policeman asked me for photo id. I had my passport, which halped as I am proud of still having a pink paper driving licence (in four pieces!), and i also carried the registration documents for the car. One officer then went around the car, checking the number plates, headlight deflectors and tyres, whilst I was in vited to blow into a breathalyser. After waiting a moment, the Police handed back all documents, held ot the machine and showed me that it was displaying the letter S....which he said meant safe. Looking into the car, he concluded by wishing us all a happy and enjoyable stay in Belgium.

They stopped me, but not the following car, which didn't have headlight deglectors fitted!

They continued to Varlet Farm, whilst in my car it was suggested that we got there....coasted in quietly, and the others then walked in, telling my wife that they had been dropped off by the Police, following my arrest. We decided not to, when I pointed out that although game, she would either kill me, of attack parts of my anatomy with garden shears. Pity really.....her face would have been a picture!

:devilgrin:

Bruce

Tuesday, 22 December 2009

More than 23,000 drivers across South Yorkshire have been breathalysed by police in the first three weeks of an anti-drink and drug driving campaign.

Chief constable Meredydd Hughes said figures showed South Yorkshire Police had targeted more motorists than in previous years.

Of the 23,153 drivers breathalysed, 177 tested positive or refused to provide a sample.

Police said five drivers had tested positive for drugs.

What worries me is that 22971 drivers whose driving was bad enough to be stopped by the police were sober.

What worries me is that 22971 drivers whose driving was bad enough to be stopped by the police were sober.

Who said they were driving badly? The police don't need a reason to stop drivers on the road in the UK.

What concerns me is the total waste of time stopping sober 22,971 motorists when finite resources could have been better used elsewhere.

Don't they have to have any reasonable cause at all? What do they write on the paperwork for reason for stopping then?

Mick

No reason necessary. Any vehicle being driven on a road can be stopped by the police. But, to be breathlysed, a driver must have either committed a moving traffic offence or the officer must suspect that the driver has consumed alcohol.

Section 5 1988 Road Traffic Act give the Police the right to stop any vehicle without any reason. Officers would use their discretion to breathalise depending on answers given by the driver, (Just been for a swift half) or beery smells on passangers, or if another offence has been committed such as no insurance etc. They will also demand a breath test if they 'feel' something is not right, thus holding the driver whilst other more rigorous checks are done (thefts and burglaries in the vicinity, assaults etc).

177 drunk drivers on the road is enough justification for me. That's 177 people who could kill you or your grandchild. Many would probably be uninsured? I'm happy to see them prosecuted.

Bruce - though it does stretch one's patience and one's sense of injustice; the end does justify the means.

I have no problem with being stopped by the incredibly polite Belgian Police. They spoke to me very pleasantly, conducted themselves impeccably, and concluded their check with a smile.

No complaint from me.

Bruce

They obviously missed the Scouse connection Bruce.

:lol:

Sorry I was unaware of Bruces Scouse connection; this now explains it all.

Bruce obviously has no objection to being stopped as while they check the legality of his car he has the wheels, radio & flashing lights off theirs :lol:

Andy

Ever been grabbed by the Fuzz? No, but I've been often swung by the....

:blush:

The Police were stopping every fourth car,

Bruce

Last month I drove thro' a Police 1 in 4 road block, the car in front of me was stopped and I was waved on. This was just outside Ieper near St Eloi. This was mid afternoon.

So it seems this may be a common procedure.

Regards

Kevin

though it does stretch one's patience and one's sense of injustice; the end does justify the means.

Back when I was living in Qatar (where the legal limit is 0.0) a colleague of mine had the first all white Mercedes sports coupe in the region and he was always being stopped by the police who wanted to look at the new car. To give a reason for the stop they would ask to check his resident's permit (the police had absolutely no equipment for breathalysing). However one day (when I was a passenger in the car) one policeman asked to look in the boot where, shock horror, he found an old box that had one held beer cans (and was since being used to carry business papers). (Most of us ex pats held official liquor licences) He was going to run us both in for being in a car with an empty beer box on board. Fortunately my colleague had learnt his Arabic in the Giza area of Cairo (which it seems is the Arabic equivelent of having a scouse accent)) and he managed to talk us out of trouble.

Compared to this the Belgian police seem quite benign.

I would like it noted that I no longer collect hub-caps. My car already has a radio, and, much as I might like flashing blue lights, I would not want to keep one.

Bruce

The comments about the powers of th UK police given by geraint and ken are contradictory - So can a UK police officer stop you and breathalyse without giving a reason?

Personally I don't think you should drive at all within 24 hours of having any alcohol whatsoever.

The comments about the powers of th UK police given by geraint and ken are contradictory - So can a UK police officer stop you and breathalyse without giving a reason?

Personally I don't think you should drive at all within 24 hours of having any alcohol whatsoever.

Unfortunately, we don't live in cloud cuckoo land and if you don't have any alcohol in your blood it congeals and you die.