The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

swettenham village war memorial 1914 - 1919 ?

o.t.t.

Please could anyone just say if i`m right or wrong on this ?

i worked in a lovely little village called swettenham village in cheshire the other day (only a church, a pub , few houses ) etc . and whilst i worked there i noticed a memorial to commerate the soldiers who lived in the village and died during ww1 & ww2 ( so tools were dropped and off i went to check this memorial out ) .

on the memorial itself it read for the ww1 soldiers 1914 - 1919 . why should it read 1919 instead of 1918 ? is it because maybe a certain soldier died of wounds after the end of the great war .this may seem a strange and silly question but it is something that i have never even thought of and would just like to know the correct answer .:unsure:

thanks in advance , i look forward to any replies ...

Please could anyone just say if i`m right or wrong on this ?

i worked in a lovely little village called swettenham village in cheshire the other day (only a church, a pub , few houses ) etc . and whilst i worked there i noticed a memorial to commerate the soldiers who lived in the village and died during ww1 & ww2 ( so tools were dropped and off i went to check this memorial out ) .

on the memorial itself it read for the ww1 soldiers 1914 - 1919 . why should it read 1919 instead of 1918 ? is it because maybe a certain soldier died of wounds after the end of the great war .this may seem a strange and silly question but it is something that i have never even thought of and would just like to know the correct answer .:unsure:

thanks in advance , i look forward to any replies ...

The signing of the Treaty of Versailles on the 28th June 1919 was the official end of WW1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Versailles

Lots of memorials have 1919 on them and I often wondered why.

Although hostilities on the Western Front ceased on 11.11.18, soldiers continued to died of wounds.

Plus, a number were then sent to northern Russia. If any of the men on the memorial was killed there, then the dates on the war memorial are correct.

Bruce

Not very scientific, but a quick Google search gave the following results;

"1914-18" - 508,000

"1914-19 - 330,000

At first glance, the 1919 search seems to throw up more results relating to nearer that time e.g. memorials, war badges etc.

Post 2 is correct, although the fighting ceased on the 11/11/18 it was only a ceastation of hostilities and the offical end of the war only came with the signing of the treaty of Versailles. A lot of memorbillia (plates, cups etc) released at the end of the war to celebrate peace carried the wording The Great War 1914 - 1919.

• 2 weeks later...

I've a matchbox cover made from a bit of brass (trench rt) from a private in the KOSB dated with the inscription Sovernier of France 1914 - 1919

Posts 2 and 6 are the correct responses to your actual question. The Armistice on 11 Nov 1918 was when the nations formed a truce and stopped fighting. The Treaty of Versailles in 1919 was the formal end of hostilities.

I'm not sure if I agree with Bruce regarding Russia. The origin of that conflict is different to the origin of the Great War. In the same way, the Irish Rebellion is NOT a part of the Great War conflict, but a new and different conflict which occured during the Great War. I need to ponder awhile on this!!

As I live not far from Swettenham,I have no problems with going to the Village and taking photos of the War Memorial as long as some kind soul will load them on the Forum,on my behalf. :D

Trench Art Matchbox Covers mean little, historically, apart from signifying a little about the original owner's WW1 Campaigns e.g.I have a Trench Art matchbox cover which covers his Battles from 1915 up to Ypres(1917) but omits 1918 which is hardly surprising as he was killed in March 1918.

Swettenham,I would suggest commissioned its War Memorial,with due regard to the end of official hostilities and when it knew how many men, from the Village, would never return.

George

The British War Medal shows the dates 1914 - 1918 but the Victory Medal shows the dates 1914 - 1919

And both can cover specific service up until 1920, so a misnomer on both counts :P