The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

56876 PTE W J JESSOP L 'POOL REGT

ATNOMIS

Pals

I have been given a Cap Badge of the Liverpool Pals. My Aunty has found it in my Nan's belonging. Nan's been dead since 1986.

I have a picture of my GGd with a chap in Liverpool pals see pic. I also along with my GGd's medals got a BWM for a PTE W J JESSOP 56876 L'POOL REG.

Could and is this the same man?

If not who id Pte Jessop?

Help with anything would be great. Thanks

Regards

Atnomis/Simon

farrelland.jpg

What was your great grandfathers name and service number ? - chances are they may have signed up together.

Simon

The soldier on the right seems to have a cap badge with either a shamrock or a maple leaf on it. He is also a Sergeant I just realised !

The soldier on the left has three campaign stripes on his sleeve and the badge might be KLR but seems to be backwards.

The MIC of Jessop shows that he earned a pair. His entry on the original Medal Rolls will be in ledger WO329/817 page 2482. He is shown as a Private.

The MIC of Farrell shows that he earned a 1914-15 Star Trio,landing in France on 31.7.1915 which would correspond with the landing of 8th ELR,and that he was discharged to Class Z on 28.2.1919.He is shown as a Private in the ELR and a Sergeant in the LC but the badge is definitely not LC.

Sotonmate

The badge of the soldier on the left IS that of the Liverpool Pals - 17th, 18th, 19th & 20th Bns, KLR - the eagle & child crest of the Earls of Derby, and is the correct way round.

D

Simon

The soldier on the right seems to have a cap badge with either a shamrock or a maple leaf on it. He is also a Sergeant I just realised !

The soldier on the left has three campaign stripes on his sleeve and the badge might be KLR but seems to be backwards.

The MIC of Jessop shows that he earned a pair. His entry on the original Medal Rolls will be in ledger WO329/817 page 2482. He is shown as a Private.

The MIC of Farrell shows that he earned a 1914-15 Star Trio,landing in France on 31.7.1915 which would correspond with the landing of 8th ELR,and that he was discharged to Class Z on 28.2.1919.He is shown as a Private in the ELR and a Sergeant in the LC but the badge is definitely not LC.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate

Chap on the right is my Great Grandad John Farrell. I have his 3 medals.Bits and bods are being found now my Aunty is clearing out my Nans belongings.

The postcard had my Nans writing saying father and friend.

I was wongering if 56876 is a Pals Regimental Number. Jessop medals where with my GGD's medals.

Regards

Simon

The badge of the soldier on the left IS that of the Liverpool Pals - 17th, 18th, 19th & 20th Bns, KLR - the eagle & child crest of the Earls of Derby, and is the correct way round.

D

D

Thank you.

Hello,

William James Jessop served with 18 KLR [2nd Liverpool Pals] - source KLR medal rolls. However based on his number he was probably part of a reinforcement draft and not an 'original Pal' - therefore if the cap badge is hall-marked silver it was probably not originally issued to him.

Regards

Hello,

William James Jessop served with 18 KLR [2nd Liverpool Pals] - source KLR medal rolls. However based on his number he was probably part of a reinforcement draft and not an 'original Pal' - therefore if the cap badge is hall-marked silver it was probably not originally issued to him.

Regards

Thank you for the information. I have the MIC.

The Cap Badge is not Silver i will post a picture later today. When I get home.

Regards

Simon

Simon,

The information I posted is from the Medal Rolls which are not available on line and not the MICs which are. The medal rolls record the Bns served with overseas.

Simon,

The information I posted is from the Medal Rolls which are not available on line and not the MICs which are. The medal rolls record the Bns served with overseas.

That is great thank you.

Simon

That particular version of the 'Liverpool Pals' cap badge is War Office Pattern 9483/1917. It was sealed (authorised) in May 1917 and worn until made obsolete in August 1921. (details from TNA)

I've just noticed. It is slightly different to most in that the tapered upper 'tail' of the hat appears attached to the right hand end of the scroll. I've no doubt it's just a manufacturers variation but I haven't seen it before !

That particular version of the 'Liverpool Pals' cap badge is War Office Pattern 9483/1917. It was sealed (authorised) in May 1917 and worn until made obsolete in August 1921. (details from TNA)

I've just noticed. It is slightly different to most in that the tapered upper 'tail' of the hat appears attached to the right hand end of the scroll. I've no doubt it's just a manufacturers variation but I haven't seen it before !

Thank you. I see what you mean tapered upper 'tail' of the hat appears attached to the right hand end of the scroll."

I had not noticed ir before. Could that have been a fault in the manufacture?

Regards

Simon

• 2 years later...
Guest alanbennett57

I hope that you are able to read this reply. My name is Alan Bennett. My grandmother was Martha Lillian Jessop - William James Jessops daughter. I read your piece on William and John Farrell with great interest. William's wife Mary McGarry was the daughter of Patrick McGarry and Sarah Ann Farrell. (John must be linked to Sarah in some way though I am not sure how at this point. The photograph you included was fantastic as I have not seen a picture of the young William Jessop before. If you have any further details about William I would love to hear them. Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Alan

I've pm'd you.

Dad remembers Aunty Martha and Uncle Charlie he was in the second world war in Burma. Surname Hawes.

Valerie

Brian

Pam

My Nan was Mary Gildea nee Farrell

Her Dad John Farrell - Dad James Farrell / Mum Sarah Farrell

Mum Margaret McGarry - Dad Patrick McGarry / Sarah Ann Farrell

Regards

Simon

• 4 years later...

Hi, my grandfather was Thomas McGarry, son of Patrick McGarry & Sarah Ann (Farrell) and brother of Mary McGarry (as well as sibling to James, Joseph, Kate & Elisabeth)  who married William James Jessop

i do hope someone reads this as I've been trying to find my Liverpool cousins for some time.

Fingers crossed

Regards

Niall

• 1 year later...
On 13/04/2018 at 12:39, Niall McGarry said:

Hi, my grandfather was Thomas McGarry, son of Patrick McGarry & Sarah Ann (Farrell) and brother of Mary McGarry (as well as sibling to James, Joseph, Kate & Elisabeth)  who married William James Jessop

i do hope someone reads this as I've been trying to find my Liverpool cousins for some time.

Fingers crossed

Regards

Niall

PM Niall I believe we are related... Farrells on my Dads Mums Side