The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Stretcher Bearer!

Skipman

In a letter to his Father, a 2nd Black Watch stretcher bearer says " I have laid down my rifle and taken up a bag of bandages so that instead of taking life, i do my best to save it. The only arms the stretcher bearer carries is a bayonet to be used only in self defence. "

1) How would a stretch bearer be selected. Volunteer?

2) Were they specially trained to a certain medical standard?

3) I assume they would be expected to pick up a gun, should the situation demand it?

4) Any books websites etc that you could recommend?

Cheers Mike

" Most of what you want already on the forum "

Thank you Centurion. I kind of thought it would be. I did try searching, for " stretcher " and " stretcher bearer " but did not come up with these excellent threads, which i shall now study.

Can anyone remind me of the string of code, that you add on to the end of a search term. google ....invision etc?

Cheers Mike

" Most of what you want already on the forum "

Thank you Centurion. I kind of thought it would be. I did try searching, for " stretcher " and " stretcher bearer " but did not come up with these excellent threads, which i shall now study.

Can anyone remind me of the string of code, that you add on to the end of a search term. google ....invision etc?

Cheers Mike

I found all these (and more) just putting stretcher bearer (no quotes) into the advanced part of the forums own search engine and selecting all forums.

As Centurion says, Mike. One thing to bear in mind, during an attack, infantrymen would be designated as stretcher bearers. When we see pictures at Passchendaele for instance of half a dozen men toiling in the mud with a casualty, perhaps only one would be a trained first aider. Of course, prisoners were used widely, thus killing two birds with one stone.

I found all these (and more) just putting stretcher bearer (no quotes) into the advanced part of the forums own search engine and selecting all forums.

Ok Centurion. I didn't use advanced, and I should have.

Tom, thanks for that. A case of 'needs must' In the letter he seems to be saying he chose this path. Perhaps he was trying to make his Father feel better. I believe they were quite a religious family.

Cheers Mike

Tom, I tried to pm you, with something that might be of interest. If you want to open your 'Firewall' :) for one pm, let me know, and can send you a transcription of letter. No problem at all, if you have more than enough to be getting on with, but an interesting read it is.

Cheers Mike

Mike, if the Forum's advanced search as suggested by Centurion doesn't satify your needs, to use Google to search the Forum it's necessary to add site:1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums to the end of the search string. (haven't used it in anger recently, but it does seem to do the business)

NigelS

Hi Mike

In a letter to his Father, a 2nd Black Watch stretcher bearer says " I have laid down my rifle and taken up a bag of bandages so that instead of taking life, i do my best to save it. The only arms the stretcher bearer carries is a bayonet to be used only in self defence. "

Mike ,Can I ask whats his name!!, just looking for any info for my Database. You know me anything about 2nd Black watch ,big or small helps, thanks

Cheer's Mike

regards

Ian

Hi Ian. It's a letter from Pte S/7574 Peter Matheson, to his Father in Fearnan. This letter, and I presume others, are I believe in the Black Watch Archives. I have yet to search them. I assume Balhousie, but I'm not quite at that stage yet. pm on way.

Cheers Mike

Hi Ian. It's a letter from Pte S/7574 Peter Matheson, to his Father in Fearnan. This letter, and I presume others, are I believe in the Black Watch Archives. I have yet to search them. I assume Balhousie, but I'm not quite at that stage yet. pm on way.

Cheers Mike

Thanks mike

I have added this info against his name, thanks for that

Best regards

Ian

• 2 years later...

Skipman - I'm new to this forum and new to trying to trace my ancestors' war history. However, i noticed that you have researched Peter Matheson, who was my great-great-uncle. I'd love to know what information you have on him. Alternatively, i'd be grateful for any pointers you could give me on where to begin my own search. Have you also researched his brother Duncan, or is it just Peter you're interested in?

Thanks for any information or assistance you can offer.

Suzie

Edit: I should say the only information i've gathered so far has come from CWGC and http://www.roll-of-h...re/Kenmore.html

Hi Suzie. Will pm you later. I think you have to post a minimum of 5 posts before the private message function is available to you. I know a little bit about Duncan also.

Mike

Mike, there is another book - 'Stretcher Bearer - Fighting for Life in the Trenches' - Charles H. Horton edited by Dale Le Vack. I have recently read this one and it seems that those with religious or conscientious objections could opt to be stretcher bearers. Of course there were some that refused to help or join in any capacity.

Marjorie

• 4 weeks later...

'Stretcher Bearer - Fighting for Life in the Trenches' - Charles H. Horton edited by Dale Le Vack. I have recently read this, and it seems that those with religious or conscientious objections could opt to be stretcher bearers.

This is ambiguously misleading as it stands. There has never been a rank or formal position in the army as "stretcher-bearer", let alone opting for it. So far as opting in that direction is concerned, before conscription in 1916 it was possible for a volunteer recruit to opt for the RAMC, whose duties have never been confined to stretcher-bearing. However, by 1918 a number of men who had done so, on the basis of conscientious scruples about killing, were summarily redirected to infantry regiments, and those who refused to comply were court-martialled and imprisoned - so much for "opting".

Under conscription, it was possible to indicate to a Military Service Tribunal that one was prepared to be enlisted as a non-combatant, but there was no right to indicate any more than that. It was at the discretion of the tribunal whether one was so registered, and the tribunal had no power to order any particular form of non-combatant service. As a matter of practice, a number of men who indicated an interest in non-combatant service were not registered as COs at all, but ordered into the infantry or artillery. Of those who were registered for non-combatant service the overwhelming majority were directed by the army into the specially created Non-Combatant Corps, with court-martial and imprisonment for those who refused. Again, so much for "opting".

Incidentally, I am puzzled by the expression "religious or conscientious objections", implying that a religious objection was something different from a conscientious one. The Military Service Act made no such distinction, providing solely for conscientious objection, and in practice religious scruples were regarded as potentially conscientious.