The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Let there be light - please

centurion

Off to La Belle France on Monday to poke around the Somme. Now although I've been in France on business (when I flew) more recently I haven't been there in my car since 1999! I've got almost all the gear ready (1st Aid kit, florescent jacket, warning triangle, spare bulbs, breathalysers etc) insurance and breakdown cover as well. However since my first foray by car to France (in 1982) until 1999 I've always had to add beam deflectors to my headlights (if only out of common courtesy to other motorists) and there was an indication on the head light glass as to where to stick them. My current car (a Fiat Punto Grande) has no such marks. My nearest Halfords is 25 miles away and I don't want to do a 50 mile round tip for nothing. Useful and relevant advice will be most welcome.

Off to La Belle France on Monday to poke around the Somme. Now although I've been in France on business (when I flew) more recently I haven't been there in my car since 1999! I've got almost all the gear ready (1st Aid kit, florescent jacket, warning triangle, spare bulbs, breathalysers etc) insurance and breakdown cover as well. However since my first foray by car to France (in 1982) until 1999 I've always had to add beam deflectors to my headlights (if only out of common courtesy to other motorists) and there was an indication on the head light glass as to where to stick them. My current car (a Fiat Punto Grande) has no such marks. My nearest Halfords is 25 miles away and I don't want to do a 50 mile round tip for nothing. Useful and relevant advice will be most welcome.

It is impossible to work it out, loads of options for each car.

Just stick them on, better on somewhere than knowhere.

In the olden days, when I was alive, a practical trick was set the vehicle level and square to a wall/garage door etc switch headlights on then slide the deflector prism around the lens surface to get the desired effect.

It worked forcheap as chips U.S.A Ex military trucks for use commercially here.

I read somewhere that a bloke switched his Punto lights to auto which apparently resulted in correct alignment. He then spent an hour listening to his wife's explanation of how the car new they were in Germany.

He never did say if they had switched back again on return to the U.K.!!

If it's any use, the standard deflector type which I had to buy in Halfords a few weeks ago includes a comprehensive chart for different car types & subtypes, often divided by date as well, explaining just where the deflector should go. The plastic item is formatted so that you either stick the whole thing on, or separate it into two parts, using the chart-indicated part only. NB, I have no connection with the firm - it's just where I happened to go to get various bits & pieces for travelling in France just like you! Doubtless a similar product could be purchased elsewhere - local "car shops" have them as well.

If your specific car type isn't listed, there are two "general" pictures to show where it should be placed on differently patterned headlights.

Chris is quite right about the headlight switch - it's just that on some cars it would take a mechanic to get at it!

Clive

If it's any use, the standard deflector type which I had to buy in Halfords a few weeks ago includes a comprehensive chart for different car types & subtypes, often divided by date as well, explaining just where the deflector should go. The plastic item is formatted so that you either stick the whole thing on, or separate it into two parts, using the chart-indicated part only. NB, I have no connection with the firm - it's just where I happened to go to get various bits & pieces for travelling in France just like you! Doubtless a similar product could be purchased elsewhere - local "car shops" have them as well.

If your specific car type isn't listed, there are two "general" pictures to show where it should be placed on differently patterned headlights.

Chris is quite right about the headlight switch - it's just that on some cars it would take a mechanic to get at it!

Clive

I refer you to my previous post, for general pictures, read stick them on anywhere

Good luck on your trip, don't forget that you'll need the breathalyser kit too!

You can get the headlight converters on the ferry, if you can't find a local car accessory shop.

Do check out the handbook/manual (on line if not handy) as a lot of continental cars already have headlights that don't need conversion (i.e. my C4 Picasso doesn't need any)

If you are still unhappy, then as said, sticking SOMETHING on the left side of the glass will reduce glare, but most modern cars can be adjusted in some way.

I think you need TWO warning triangles, plus the hi viz jacket(s) IN the car, not the boot, but you know all this already doncha!

Driving in France is a breath of fresh air to us "Dahn Sarf" who only have the M25 as a comparison for motorway driving.

Unless you are in a (very) large city, 99.99% of drivers are courteous and move over immediately after overtaking.

In a large city it's fairly slow going and every man for himself. Push as far as you dare but you should be OK.

Any who insist on sniffing up your exhaust can be easily deterred by flicking on your lights (they react immediately to the red light) only later realising it's NOT brakelights as you disappear into the distance...

Thanks Kevin. as I said I have driven in France extensively just not recently and in this car. Never had any problems with the French drivers (even in Paris) and they are petit gentlehomme compared to Saudi drivers. My handbook is surprisingly silent on headlight beams - I think I'll ring the Fiat dealership in the AM (they are 30 miles away.). I'm going on the tunnel shuttle. There are no motor accessory shops closer than Halfords 25 miles away - believe me I know!

For a good part of the year, unless you're starting out very early or returning to base very late, you won't need to use your headlights anyway.

Sunrise is at around 7.10 hrs and sunset at around 20.40 hrs. Best wishes on a safe trip.

For a good part of the year, unless you're starting out very early or returning to base very late, you won't need to use your headlights anyway.

I will need them on the first day of the trip to get to the first hotel.

Centurion,

May I suggest saveing a couple of bob and do as jules suggested in post 6 but use PVC insulation tape that and a pair of scissors. Works for me.

John

Why don't continental drivers have to use headlight converters when driving in the UK ?

Centurion,

May I suggest saveing a couple of bob and do as jules suggested in post 6 but use PVC insulation tape that and a pair of scissors. Works for me.

John

But the problem is that the headlights on the Puno Grande are encased in a streamlined transparent cover and there is no indication of where to stick anything. I'm not so old and senile (yet) that I can't cut and stick tape (which isn't really that effective as it has no reflective element so you are cutting the amount of light produced rather than deflecting it)

I must confess that in 40 years of taking my car to Britain I have never put on converters and never seen any difference. Neither do I have the slightest idea where I would buy them on the Continent.

Seems to be a British obsession, part of the "going abroad where things are funny". By the way, did you know that your 3rd party insurance is automatically valid right across the EU, and charging more is a British insurance scam?

I must confess that in 40 years of taking my car to Britain I have never put on converters and never seen any difference. Neither do I have the slightest idea where I would buy them on the Continent.

Seems to be a British obsession, part of the "going abroad where things are funny". By the way, did you know that your 3rd party insurance is automatically valid right across the EU, and charging more is a British insurance scam?

I guess you're one of the inconsiderate so and so's who blind me with badly adjusted headlights.

Only if you don't want your comprehensive cover whilst you are abroad, this usually lapses after a few days.

Haford's guide (referred to earlier) shows the reflectors on the Punto Grande directly to the left (very slightly overlapping) of both main bulbs

as you look directly at the headlight.

I had the same problem on my Focus - just a transparent cover over the lights. I'm sure a two inch square of tape would do the same job, without reducing the light too much.

This has all been somewhat incomprehensible to me, but I just wanted to wish you a safe journey and we look forward to updates, or a report on your return!

Cheers

Shirley

Fiat sell rather expensive clip on plastic headlamp cover gadgets for continental use on the Grande Punto. I have such a car as a spare but have never taken it abroad. I am not sure if you can fit the cheap stick on Halford things at all.

Of course, you could always just stick them on anywhere for show and then go down to sidelights/driving lights when there is oncoming traffic.

Phoned the Fiat dealer - they don't sell clip on plastic adaptors - indeed there is no longer anywhere to clip them on. Visited Halfords and bought stick on beam deflectors. They are round. I got the assistant to show me exactly where they go (it changed in 2010 when I bought the current car.so we had to check the exact model) so I'm good to go.

BTW I checked and if you are driving a continental car in the UK at night without deflectors you are committing an offence and presumably the reverse applies over there but in any case it's good manners if nothing else. I don't like being blinded by head lights at night and one else does either.

We have a set of clip on plastic headlamp covers for our Mondeo so it's nice and easy. It's quite funny to watch everyone at the ferry port trying to work out where to stick, their just brought headlamp reflectors. Have a fantastic trip. Don't forget we will expect a full report on your return.

Mandy