The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Strange Labeling on Black Watch Patrol Jacket - DSO Winner

gordon92

The below pictured Black Watch patrol jacket that is in my possession had at least two owners both of whom I have identified, Colonel Richard A Bulloch DSO and Captain NGP Richardson. Biographical info on the two owners is included at the end of the message for those who are interested. The label has a strange nomenclature, and I am soliciting help from forum members to provide an interpretation. The original label (indistinct in the photo) is:

Lt. Col. D.S.O.

XXXX (name indecipherable)

Overwritten on the original labeling are the initials of the second owner "N.R."

Finally, a further overwrite are the words "DRUM TOCH." This has had me stumped for several years. Can anyone on the forum, perhaps a former British soldier, advise on the meaning of this phrase?

Now for the biographical information. The original owner was Colonel Richard Archibald Bulloch DSO, Chevalier of Legion d'Honneur, Croix de Guerre with Palm. With the help of the Black Watch Museum, I was able to identify the pool of officers who reached the rank of Lt Col or higher after the Great War and had earned the DSO. Then based on the number of characters on the label and the body build that would have fit the jacket especially the long arms, Bulloch was the only fit. Bulloch's bio: 2Lt 1899, wounded at Magersfontein 12 Dec 1899, Lt 1900, Capt 1906, Major Sept 1915, wounded during War, Bde Maj April 1916, GSO II July 1917, commanding 4/5BW may 1918, Bt Lt Col June 1919, T/Lt Col commanding 2BW May 1921, commanding Depot Nov 1921, Lt Col commanding 1BW June 1926, Col June 1930, commander 153rd Inf Bde TA April 1932, retired April 1936, died at Tomatin House Inverness-shire Nov 1963. Bulloch's photo is shown below where the long, slim build consistent with the patrol jacket can be discerned

The second owner with initials "N.R." was Capt NGP Richardson: EC 2Lt Jan 1940 to 7BW, attached as TCapt to 1BW. That is all I have on him. That he was attached to the 1st Bn suggests that he was an officer of some quality.

9157074eeae1.jpg6420de208ceb.jpg

af19b7f94e6f.jpg

surely it's Drumtochty? A Castle near Aberdeen

A Red Cross military hospital in WW1. Also the site of Highland Games.

I think you have it, centurion, Drumtochty Castle in Aberdeenshire. I had never put it together thinking they were separate words. Thank you.

My guess is the jacket was acquired by the Castle and used in theatrical performances ignoring its provenance. That makes sense. A friend once told me that some of his best finds of militaria items were from theatrical companies.

Drumtochty Castle is (and has been for some time) used as a wedding venue. Brides provide their own dress as is traditional but they used to hire out suitable "highland" themed costumes to grooms and best men if so desired. I would suspect that the patrol jacket was part of this stock.

I recently attended a wedding at Drumtochty Castle and was amazed to see just inside the main entrance three large portraits of Confederate Generals. Nathan Bedford Forrest, Patrick Cleburne and Earl Van Dorn. I recognised Forrest from years of watching the History Channel and the other two were tentatively identified by an American guest. Why they should be in a Scottish castle I don't know.

Kevin

I recently attended a wedding at Drumtochty Castle and was amazed to see just inside the main entrance three large portraits of Confederate Generals. Nathan Bedford Forrest, Patrick Cleburne and Earl Van Dorn. I recognised Forrest from years of watching the History Channel and the other two were tentatively identified by an American guest. Why they should be in a Scottish castle I don't know.

Kevin

There was a certain degree of romanticised sentimental support in Scotland for the confederacy, especially in the highlands. A sort of equating a small nation fighting for independence with the '45 thing as well as comparing the Southern 'aristocracy' with the old lairds (although the number of slave worked plantations North of the Highland fault must have been vanishingly few)

Thanks again to centurion and also to KF Kelly for the additional details on Drumtochty Castle.

• 2 years later...

Hi R A Bulloch js my great grand father I can't see the photos I would be very interest to see them I have his dress sword and I myself am training as an officer at sandhurst hopping to join the 3 Scott's which are the new Black Watch

Hi R A Bulloch js my great grand father I can't see the photos I would be very interest to see them I have his dress sword and I myself am training as an officer at sandhurst hopping to join the 3 Scott's which are the new Black Watch

Hammond13....Glad to be in contact with you. Below are the photos that are no longer visible on the original posting. I regret that the photo of the label is not as clear as it could be as age has diminished the original typewritten characters. That first post explained how I concluded that the original owner was Colonel Richard Archibald Bulloch with the help of Tommy Smyth who was then the Archivist at The Black Watch Museum. The Captain's rank insignia on the jacket is undoubtedly that of the second owner, Capt. NGP Richardson. Richardson had shorter arms than your great grandfather; the sleeves had been folded under and stitched when I obtained the jacket. The long arms were one of the discriminators in identifying the jacket.

I hope these photos are of interest. Do you have any photos of Col. Bulloch that you could post?

Mike

SANY0250_zps407644d6.jpg

SANY0251_zps3a66f448.jpg

ColRABulloch1930-360001_zpse60991ca.jpg

Indeed my great grandfather was 6"8 and had to have a bath specially made and most doors enlarged in Tomatin House where my grand mother grew up I have this one of him he's on the left I still have his dress sword I only myself hit 6"5 but we have a very similar figure and hopefully a similar mind set within the art of warfare

He's on the left I do have more photos at my parents and most of his war letters I will show this to my father when I return home for Christmas he will be most pleased thank you for your response.

Sorry I had trouble posting

post-125349-0-46106100-1447633512_thumb.

He's on the left I do have more photos at my parents and most of his war letters I will show this to my father when I return home for Christmas he will be most pleased thank you for your response.

Sorry I had trouble posting

Thank you very much for posting these photos. I should imagine that as a Lt. Col. it was after the war when this photo was taken. What a fine group of great grand children you are. I am sure Col. Bulloch would have been very proud. Please post more when you are able.