The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bailiff wood La Boisselle, Contalmaison, 6th Wiltshire

garfyboy

I am researching a chap from the 6th Wiltshire regiment KIA on the 2/7/1916 (2nd day of the somme) from Ray Westlakes book i know they were part of the 58th brigade, 19th division and the 6th wilts attacked the western end of the village and clearing, attack on Bailiff wood!

Does anybody have any more detailed info, possibly a map and where was bailiff wood and does this still exist?

thanks in advance

Andy

Andy, you can find the war diary for the 6th Bn here. Bailiff Wood (west of Contalmaison) wasn't attacked by the Wilshires until the 7th July, the wood is still there as are trench remains I believe

Jon

post-15439-0-82930800-1379928080_thumb.j

post-15439-0-78443600-1379928435_thumb.j

Thanks Jon, my mistake, sometimes a lttle hard to interpret in Rays book where he puts the date, looking at it again i can see that now.

The 6th wilts attacked the western end of the village and clearing on the 2nd, still vague though, i would like to learn more

cheers

Andy

post-50920-0-66756100-1379951435_thumb.jAndy,

Heres the diary for the 2nd & 3rd July. It also is a bit vague, but if you would like a trench map for this area let me know and I'll sort something out.

R'ds

Sajackr

That's great Sajackr, thankyou, a map would've great to if you don't mind

Cheers

Andy

Yes the wood is still there as are the remains of the old trench systems when I visited there 2 years ago, whilst I was researching my great uncle who was killed on the 7th July 1916, with the 12th DLI, I think from older research the Germans called Baillif wood, Hunters lodge maybe, and I may have the details of which German regiments where there.

Kevin

Thanks Kev, I'm over in a week or so, I'll go and check the trenches out

Andy

Nice one sajackr, much appreciated

Andy