The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt. Col. Alexander William Abercrombie

midletonman2001

I’d like to ask for some help regarding Lt. Col. Alexander William Abercrombie, 2nd Battalion Connaught Rangers who died as a POW in Germany on the 5 November 1915.

Any information on him would be appreciated but I would especially like to find a photograph of him. I have some pictures of POWs in Geissen and I want to see if he is one of them.

Many thanks

Hi,

I am aware of 3 photos of him - dont have the source material I'm afraid - perhaps someone else can help. The locations of the photos are:

Our Heroes p172

The Sphere 1/1/16 p27

The Graphic 12/9/14 p387

Good luck in your hunt

Joe

Thanks for your help chaps. :D

I feel a trip to the library coming on. :o

Although weather they are titles Cork City or County Library are likely to carry I have my doubts. <_<

midletonman wrote:

I’d like to ask for some help regarding Lt. Col. Alexander William Abercrombie, 2nd Battalion Connaught Rangers who died as a POW in Germany on the 5 November 1915.

Any information on him would be appreciated but I would especially like to find a photograph of him. I have some pictures of POWs in Geissen and I want to see if he is one of them.

Lieut. Alexander William Abercrombie

The son of Alexander Abercrombie of the Bengal Civil Service and Mrs. Abercrombie of 34 Gloucester Terrace, Hyde Park, London

Commissioned into the Yorkshire Light Infantry on 9 May 1885 and saw service with the regiment in Burma in 1886-7 where he was mentioned in despatches.

Promoted to Captain in the Connaught Rangers in December 1892 and posted to 2nd Bn

Went to France in command of the 2nd Bn in August 1914

Taken POW some two weeks later. Taken to Torgeau where he remained for three months.

In December 1914 he was moved to Magdeburg where he died on 5 Nov 1915.

Regards. Dick

His photo:

post-765-1118160732.jpg

Many thanks Dick :D

The picture is much appreciated.

I now know he is NOT the man pictured with my Grandfather at Geissen.

He's not one of the 12 others either.

Many thanks

• 7 years later...

Hello,

I am his great grandson. I do have a photograph somewhere but am in some domestic chaos right now and cannot lay my hands on it.......

Chris Gardner

Was he (and by inference are you) a descendant of the General Abercrombie who led the landing in Egypt and died in the subsequent battle of Alexandria in 1801?

• 7 years later...

I happen to have both sets of Medals and Plaques to Father and Son, Father having been captured in the Retreat from Mons