The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Insignia Interpretation Please

Griffin

Further to earlier posts in the 'Units and Formations' section, I've now got a photo of my Great-Uncle, Maj-Gen Sir Thomas Yarr, RAMC, from the National Portrait Gallery.

I'm hoping some of the experts here will be able to explain the significance of various bits of medal ribbon, braid, chevrons and so forth which can be seen on his uniform.

It was taken in 1919, when he was Inspector Medical Services.

Regards,

Arthurpost-17302-1169931298.jpg

Arthur, I'm no expert, but:

Right cuff, inverted chevrons - these are overseas service stripes, one for each year, and the bottom on (if in red) would indicate 1914 service. he appears to have 5, so that's 1914-1918 covered.

Shoulder - rank badge. The crossed sword and baton indicate a general; it appears there's a crown or star above indicating a major- or lieutenant general.

Collar - gorget tab, indicating a staff officer. the size and shape of his definitely indicates a general rank. I think (not sure0 these were in arm-ofservice colours, but i really don't know.

Row of medal ribbons on chest.

General officers cap badge, and again, a coloured hat band indicating a Staff or general post.

Hope this helps - surprised no-one else came in earlier.

Thanks, Steven.

Insignia seems to be a language in itself.

Regarding his chevrons, he certainly spent plenty of time abroad. He joined up as a surgeon in 1886, coming over from Ireland. He soon went to China for five years, then back to Blighty, then was seconded as the personal physician to the Crown Prince (later King Rama VI) of Siam for about five years, then South Africa for a year and a half in the second Boer War, then Bombay for a few years, later Malta, then Gallipoli in '15 as ADMS to the Med Expeditionary Force (under the much loved Hunter-Weston), then Egypt, and after that the trail grows cold. At some point he was Medical Officer to the Coldstream Guards.

Can anyone tell anything from the Medal Ribbons? I know he had the Queen's medal with four clasps for South Africa, and the Jubilee medal, also the Legion d'Honneur from the French, as well as being CB, KCMG, and a Knight of Grace of St John of Jerusalem.

Can anyone comment on how to find out why he would have been decorated by the French?

I'm anxious to learn as much as I can about his life, so anything people can point out is very welcome.

Regards,

Arthur

Can anyone comment on how to find out why he would have been decorated by the French?

Arthur

All the allied armies awarded/distributed medals to each other.

First sight, so just a couple of amplifications:

I presume he is a General Officer serving in an RAMC/medical capacity. If so (and the shade in the picture seem to bear this out) his gorget patches on the collar and the hat band will notr be the scarlet of the Staff, but the 'dull cherry' - a dark maroon colour - of the RAMC.

The ribbons are difficult, but there seem to be two rows; the top one is difficult to mark out, because it will be a lot of single colour ribbons.

Yes, we all handed out awards around the Allies, but a Legion of Honour to a medical General might suggest for something specific, unlike the occasional almost 'lucky dip' nature of awards of lesser items such as the Croix de Guerre. (No offence meant to those with relatives with such awards!) I think most if not all LdeH awards were in the London Gazette, even if it may not tell you what it was for. You would need to enquire of the French government as to why he may have been decorated thus. This can be ponderous and slow, I understand. The Embassy used to assist, but I am not so sure whether they do now.

First sight, so just a couple of amplifications:

I presume he is a General Officer serving in an RAMC/medical capacity. If so (and the shade in the picture seem to bear this out) his gorget patches on the collar and the hat band will notr be the scarlet of the Staff, but the 'dull cherry' - a dark maroon colour - of the RAMC.

The ribbons are difficult, but there seem to be two rows; the top one is difficult to mark out, because it will be a lot of single colour ribbons.

Yes, we all handed out awards around the Allies, but a Legion of Honour to a medical General might suggest for something specific, unlike the occasional almost 'lucky dip' nature of awards of lesser items such as the Croix de Guerre. (No offence meant to those with relatives with such awards!) I think most if not all LdeH awards were in the London Gazette, even if it may not tell you what it was for. You would need to enquire of the French government as to why he may have been decorated thus. This can be ponderous and slow, I understand. The Embassy used to assist, but I am not so sure whether they do now.

Try this for a little more -

Who's Who, 1925 edition, has details:

YARR, Major-General Sir Michael Thomas, KCMG, cr.1917, CB 1915, Officer of Legion of Honour; Knight of Grace, St John of Jerusalem; FRCSI; FRGS; b. 17 Oct 1862, s. of Thos Yarr JP, Rathgar, Dublin; unmarried. Educ: French College, Blackrock, Royal Coll. of Surgeons, Ireland, Paris, Vienna etc. Commission in RAMC 1886, att. 1st Battalion Coldtream Gds 1890-95; served under Foreign Office as Physician to Crown Princce of Siam 1895-99; Surgeon on staff of Governor of Bombay 1903-08; served South African war (Queen's Medal 4 clasps); European War 1914-16: Dardanelles Expedition, Egyptian Exped. Force (despatches, CB); Inspector Medical Services, War Office; retired pay 1921. Member Ophthalmological Socy. Publications: {etc etc] Recreatons: travel, golf, fishing. Address: Queen Anne's mansions SW1. Clubs: Travellers, Army & Navy, Caledonian, United Service Edinburgh.

Good hunting

Daggers

Thanks to all respondents. Fascinating stuff! :)

Staffsyeoman, I'll try the French Embassy, all internet searching about the L d'H has been fruitless.

Daggers,

The whole life will be in Who Was Who, according to decade of his death

A very helpful post. Forgive my ignorance. Is Who was Who a separate publication or is it a section in Who's Who? Sounds like another trip to the library is on the cards.

Googling has not made me much wiser on this question.

Thanks again,

Arthur

Arthur

Who was Who has been produced every decade since 1920 and the first or second volume should cover the 20's and 30's where your man is likely to feature. Each covers a decade with a final version of the details of the person, so late decorations, change of recreations etc should be included. Reference sections of large libraries should have the set. If you're stuck let me know [with date or year of death if possible] and I should be able to dig it out within a week or so. There is a CD ROM version -see Google- but I have not explored that. I happen to have the Who's Who from which I quoted earlier and thought a general was likely to be in it - bingo!.

Glad to help

Daggers

quote: "all internet searching about the L d'H has been fruitless."

see The London Gazette 26 November 1919

Decorations conferred by

THE PRESIDENT OF THE FRENCH

REPUBLIC.

Legion d'Honneur.

Commandeur.

Officier.

Major-General Sir Michael Thomas Yarr,

KCMG, CB, FRCSI, Army Medical Service

Arthur

send me an A4 stamped addressed envelope and I will forward by return his service record. I can not scan this because it is A3 size. It has his postings, promotions and comments from his annual reports.

Send to

AMS Museum

Kogh Barracks

Ash Vale

Aldershot

GU12 5RQ

Pete Starling

His Times Obituary Monday 26-4-1937

post-6536-1170235721.png

Thursday 29-4-1937

post-6536-1170235730.png

Steve.

What a very nice obit

I particularly like the description

"his professional ability, supported as it was by a quiet self confidence and an innate and taking courtesy."

How well that matches the very relaxed Maj-Gen which we see in the portrait

with his cap pushed ever so slightly back from his forehead

You know, that's what I love about this place - look at the chain of support and good-natured helpfulness, what a result!

Now, if only I could find a decent colour image of an RAMC General's cap to pass on - but hey, there's a direct line to the Army Medical Services Museum!

My hat off to everyone here.

My hat off to everyone here.

Presumably a hat with a dull cherry band.... :lol:

Presumably a hat with a dull cherry band.... :lol:

Noo... if anything, mine would be green B)

Arthur,

I've replaced the Obituary posts with ones without the pink highlights in case you want to use it for your gallery.

Steve.

Arthur,

I've replaced the Obituary posts with ones without the pink highlights in case you want to use it for your gallery.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I've put them on the gallery page, along with some other stuff. See:

Sir T. Yarr, RAMC

I tried to PM you, but your inbox is full.

Regards,

Arthur

I've got a bit of clearing to do in my PM Box. Should be free tonight if you need still need to PM.

By the way, the Times article is 26th April 1937, not May.

Steve.

Times of 13th August 1901, Page 5, Col B.

post-6536-1170328090.jpg

Steve.

The words rod, my, a, make, for and back spring to mind but the Times has the following mentions (at least) of M T Yarr.

14/01/1892 - attachment to Coldstream Guards

20/01/1892 - attachment to Coldstream Guards

08/06/1895 - seconded re Siam

26/06/1895 - seconded re Siam Repeat of Gazette Entry 25-6-1895

02/07/1895 - seconded re Siam

29/06/1897 - Queens garden party

23/08/1897 - King of Siam leaves London

16/02/1898 - Surgeon Major Repeat of Gazette entry 15-2-1898

08/07/1899 - Siam Dinner

17/02/1900 - RAMC Major Repeat of Gazette entry 16-2-1900

15/06/1900 - Discharged from Hospital in SA w/e 3-6-1900

27/08/1901 - Return of the Assaye

28/10/1903 - Seconded to Staff at Bombay Repeat of Gazette entry 27-10-1903

21/11/1903 - Staff of Governor of Bombay

14/03/1906 - Lt Col Repeat of Gazette entry 13-3-1906

02/02/1907 - Return to RAMC from secondment Repeat of Gazette entry 1-2-1907

21/12/1909 - From Dublin and appointed Medical Inspector of Recruits in Scottish Command

05/02/1913 - King's Levee

03/03/1915 - Colonel Repeat of Gazette entry 2-3-1915

06/08/1915 - MID Repeat of Gazette entry 5-8-1915

28/07/1917 - MID Repeat of Gazette entry 27-7-1917

01/08/1917 - Order of St John Repeat of Gazette entry 31-7-1917

09/08/1917 - KCMG Repeat of Gazette entry 8-8-1917

26/12/1917 - Colonel to Surgeon General Repeat of Gazette entry 25-12-1917

28/02/1918 - Ditto Repeat of Gazette entry 27-2-1918

10/09/1919 - Inspector of Medical Services Repeat of Gazette entry 8-9-1919

04/03/1926 - Pilgrimage to Jerusalem.

I'll see if I can sort out copies of the pages for those which aren't gazette entries. E-mail me via the Forum?

Additional gazette entries for which I haven't found Times pages:

LG 23-2-1886 Appointment as Army Surgeon

LG 14-3-1898 - Celebration of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee

LG 15-10-1915 Order of the Bath

LG 2-8-1916 Temp. Surgeon general whilst a D.M.S.

LG 26-11-1919 French Legion d'Honneur Officier

LG 16-1-1922 Successor as Inspector of Medical Services

LG 31-10-1922 Retirement

Steve.

The words rod, my, a, make, for and back spring to mind but the Times has the following mentions (at least) of M T Yarr.

Steve.

Steve,

I'm sorry about the punishment your back has been taken, but if it's any consolation you've given me a fascinating database of this man's life. My fumbling searches in the Times produced only his obituary, you've moved things on quite a lot.

It's uplifting in our cynical world when a bunch of people like those here are willing to put in their precious time and effort for others.

Thank you Steve, and all the other contributors.

Regards,

Arthur

Did you get the e-mail this time, Arthur?

A pleasure to help.

Steve.