The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

9th Sherwood Foresters

Steven Broomfield

Members may be interested to learn that a new history of the 9th Foresters has been produced, by Forum member Steve Morse. (Modesty has prevented him from briniging it to our attention B) ).

ISBN number 978-0-9555698-1-4, it has 256 pages, is A4 format, and is £19.95; the title is simply the Battalion tilte: "9th Service Battalion, The Sherwood Foresters, Notts & Derby regiment".

A good battalion, the 9th served with the 11th (Northern) Division at Gallipoli, then in France. My interest is with the redoubtable G H Gater, CMG, DSO*, who joined the battalion (from civilian life) in 1914 and who ended the war as a Brigadier General, but the battalion also won a VC and countless other gongs.

My copy is on order (elder daughter decided it was an ideal Xmas present, so I have to wait...). Review in due course.

I trust Mods will allow this post: I have no pecuniary interest in this publication.

Well Done our Steve :)

Steve is a wonderful kind hearted man. In amongst the writing and researching of his book over the last few years he has found time to make numerous trips to Belgium to take grave photographs for many people. For my book, the number of photographs is in excess of 100.

Steve recently attended the burial of the 5 Australians and represented the people of Kalgoorlie WA in honouring Sgt Calder.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

I have my copy, it's a great book.

Congrats Steve!!

Why not!!!

Thanks all.

I have sent a PM or email to all those who asked me (I hope).

Ten books where presented to the Sherwood Foresters HQ for the Museum funds yesterday. Plus one for their records.

I think I survived the Major's grilling on the Battalion :D

He did not mention my wearing the RE tie either. I must be an honorary Infantryman now. (Hope me mother does not find out :rolleyes: )

stevem

At this rate you'll have to pop down the Post Office and have a few more photo copied.

At this rate you'll have to pop down the Post Office and have a few more photo copied.

Flippin eck - Do not give my secrets away :o

They think that it is a real book.

Cannot wait until Xmas - Mr B opens a pressy - A book from a famous author - Inside - To Daddy, lots of luv, your darling little children (lots of kisses) - also the authors signature - Oh Joy :rolleyes:

(You did want the Flemish version I hope)

stevem (famous author, no fixed abode, near M6, Midlands)

Well, it seems to have arrived.

Well, a large brown package arrived (addressed to me), was opened and inspected...and then disappeared upstairs in to the tip that Harriet calls a bedroom <_<

Crikey. I'm starting to anticipate Xmas fondly this year :o

Not quite as exciting as the market stall set out at the East Mids Meet! "You don't have to buy one" says famous author, but none of us fancied getting cracked round the ear by one - a hefty tome!! :lol:

Not quite as exciting as the market stall set out at the East Mids Meet! "You don't have to buy one" says famous author, but none of us fancied getting cracked round the ear by one - a hefty tome!! :lol:

Come on - I bought everyone a glass of coke. Annoyingly I cannot find the receipt which means no claim for expenses can be put in. :huh: I can deduct the amount from Mrs Ms Christmas present. She is getting a book this year - actually the whole family are :lol: I had thought of just offering the family a discount but got carried away with this joyous season.

sm

Got mine at the East Midlands Meet last week. It's a really good looking book, packed with detail. Well done Steve.

Got mine at the East Midlands Meet last week. It's a really good looking book, packed with detail. Well done Steve.

Thank you.

I have been attempting to send a copy to someone whose relative was in the Bn.

To cut a week long, doezen email story short :rolleyes:

Final mail from me - My full name and address etc.

Email from them Sunday - I am Writing cheque - what is your surname. :huh:

s

I too am enjoying reading my copy ;)

I wish you lot would stop saying how bl**dy good it is. I have to wait until Christmas to get mine :angry:

Steve,

I haven't started to read mine yet, but have had a good flick through, really well done.

PS what do you do now, that's the question, Leonard Bockin perhaps......................................

I wish you lot would stop saying how bl**dy good it is. I have to wait until Christmas to get mine :angry:

Steve, you're telling us that you've not sneaked a cheeky look yet !

Surely a man of your ingenuity would have found Santa's secret stash by now B)

I honestly haven't. Mrs B has trained the two Misses B very well: any transgression of the unwritten law would no doubt result in me receiving punishment, the like of which a Victorian prison Governor would blench at.

On another note, there was a disturbing item in the Sunday paper about how author's inscriptions can lower the value of a first edition. Apparently there is quite a market in fake inscriptions (such as the chap who tried to pass of a signed copy of Under Milk Wood, forgetting the fact that Dylan Thomas had gone gently into that dark night a few years before it was published).

I hope it doesn't turn out my copy was signed by a stand-in covering for the real author's housemaid's elbow or whatever it it. :glare: