Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you identify this soldier's regiment?

neil5856

Hello,

Can anyone help?

This is a picture of Sam Spencer, who was, we think, in the West Yorkshire Regiment. But does his cap badge make sense? Is there even, possibly, an ANZAC connection? Even a French connection??

We're stumped.

Neil

post-35111-1213365550.jpg

Hi - not West Yorkshire (which has a prancing horse), looks like Bedfordshire Regiment to me. Not French (wearing standard SD), and not Australian.

Cheers

Peter

...doesn't look like Territorial Leed's Rifles (7th & 8th West Yorks), either...

I agree with Peter in that it looks like a Bedforshire badge. There is a MIC for a A/Cpl Sam Spencer West Yorks/Labour Corps,

Jon

York and Lancaster?

Neil

I agree with Peter in that it looks like a Bedforshire badge. There is a MIC for a A/Cpl Sam Spencer West Yorks/Labour Corps,

Jon

Who has a French address on his card. Also agree with Peter and Jon -- Bedfordshires. Ralph.

Hello RJD,

Who has a French address on his card? VERY interesting - because he left his wife in England for a French girl - never to return! Set up in Frevent, I believe. I also now live in the Somme, and am looking into this for some French neighbours who are descended from him.

Can you tell me more???

Neil

Hi

And if he signed up with the West Yorkshire's - he lived in Cleckheaton, Bradford - why is he wearing a Bedfordshire's badge???

The plot thickens ...

Also, just to add, I live in the Somme region and, when time allows, I am happy to visit and take photographs of war graves, etc etc.

Thanks

Neil

The address on the MIC is 98, Rue de Cercamp, Frevent, Pas de Calais.

That ties in with Frevent mentioned in your previous post.

Ian

Although it looks a bit 'compressed', it looks to me at a long shot as if it might just possibly (I'm covering my a*se here folks) have an outside chance of being, just remotely like a Leeds Pals badge.

The shape of the right-hand part of the badge looks like the owl support, and the general shape looks right. It just seems a bit narrow, if you see what I mean, but the outline looks good to me.

Oh well, it's just a discussion point.

I can see where Steve's coming from, a good call I think. Definitely doesn't have the look of the Bedfordshire Regiment to me.

Not wanting to be anywhere Steven's a*se....but a good call fella,

looking at a copy of the badge I can see what you mean by the outline and the owl shape, would expect to see a more pointed top though, but then the lighting and reflections on some photos can obscure little points like this. WO 363/S 1428 would suggest that there may be some burnt documents for him,

cheers, Jon

Hello RJD,

Who has a French address on his card? VERY interesting - because he left his wife in England for a French girl - never to return! Set up in Frevent, I believe. I also now live in the Somme, and am looking into this for some French neighbours who are descended from him.

Can you tell me more???

Neil

Sorry I missed your post but the GWF just disappeared for ages and I could not get it back, but Ian has filled in for me. You need Hercule Poirot in on this case methinks. Ralph.

One page on Pension Records Ancestry for a SAMUEL SPENCER West Yorks Regt trans to reserve 26-2-1919 4 children age 53, too old ? Ralph.

Did the Bedfordshire Regiment serve right next to the NZEF at any stage, so that the family could think he 'served with the NZEF'? (See thread in Soldiers forum where this started off as a hunt for Sam Spencer NZEF) They have an Onwards hat badge in their possesion which was supposedly his.

Allie

Thank you all for your help - we've found him.

He was A/Cpl Sam Spencer who signed up with the West Yorks/Labour Corps.

As you can see from the (French) family group, the object that appears on his right shoulder is possibly something in the background. As for the other soldier in the photograph - we have absolutely no idea. The photograph was taken in Frevent, showing his 'wife' (they didn't marry because he was already married in England) and his mother-in-law. It's difficult to date, though.

One more request - which is a scrounge - does anyone have access to his MIC. As I've said, I'm carrying out this research for some friends (in fact, Sam was the grandfather of the anaesthetist's wife in the Maternity Hospital where my son was born, in Doullens), I'm not subscribed to Ancestry.com and I'm reluctant to ask my friend's wife to cough up over 100€ to see the MIC.

As I've also mentioned, we live in the Somme and would be very happy (as time allows) to visit sites and cemeteries to take photographs on behalf of people who might find it more difficult to get here.

Above all, though, than you to everyone who has helped us to locate him. The family has been convinced that he was with the NZEF because he has handed down an 'Onwards' cap badge. I can now bring them closer to the truth.

Thank you

Neil

post-35111-1213431238.jpg

Neil

post-9-1213433768.jpg

If you require a email copy, just drop me a PM.

Regard Kevin

It would be nice if someone could check the medal rolls at the NA to confirm his battalion with the West Yorks and solve the cap badge conundrum. For what it's worth I think it's the lady to Sam's right has her hand on his shoulder,

Jon

Interesting that he didn't qualify for a Star. So he mustn't have arrived at the front til 1916, meaning he was potentially with his wife for at least a year.

It would be fabulous if his records are amongst the burnt documents as Jon suggests. Do you have to actually go the the National Archives to view those?

Allie

The burnt documents can only be viewed in person at the NA, some have already made it on to ancestry but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which are there. The 15th Bn (1st Leeds) landed in Egypt during December 1915 but the 17th Bn (2nd Leeds) landed at Le Harve on 1st February 1916,

Jon

Regarding the photo and the unknown soldier, is the woman seated in front of him known? Because he has his hand on her shoulder, which implies some sort of familiarity...

From previous thread, "...he turned up in a village near Doullens in the summerof 1916 on a motorbike and swept this young French girl off her feet". Summer is about now, isn't it? (sorry, the northern hemisphere seasons confuse me!) The 17th Bn being in France in 1916 would fit, unless the 15th left Egypt in time to be in France in the summer of 1916?

Allie

Allie

Both Battalions 15th and 17th where in France for the summer of 1916, but looking at the chap on the left, he may well have been in the 17th as this was a Bantam Battalion.

Regards Kevin

Did both Pals battalions wear the badge, a closer look at the other fellas badge might reveal something since it appears from a different angle,

Jon