Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Can you identify this soldier's regiment?

neil5856

On another note, and iam noexpert on the Labour Corps, but could Sam have been moved to the 22nd Battalion West Yorks and then to the Labour Corps in May 1917 when the 22nd where made into the 18 and 19th Labour Companies?, just athought. Maybe the Labour experts can help with that one.

My own research into the West Yorks and the numbers around 30192 where in the 22nd Batt and moved to the Labour corps.

Regards Kevin

Jon

post-9-1213436502.jpg

Will have to have acloser look for this oldmans eye's.

Regards Kevin

The woman standing was Germaine Belette, who was Sam's 'wife', and my friend's wife's grandmother. The woman seated directly in front of her was her mother.

the photograph was taken in Frevent, probably by a travelling photographer. My guess is that it's a family group. Eva (Sam's granddaughter) has no idea. I would therefore guess that the woman seated left was her sister, and the man standing left was her brother. I would assume that the child was immediate family, possibly the daughter of the woman seated left - perhaps she had lost her husband in the war.

Thus, both sisters were paired off with British soldiers. (Strangely enough, my wife is descended from an extra-marital liaison with a British soldier - the family think Irish or Scottish, because red hair was introduced into the family - be interesting to know who was stationed where and when to try to trace that one back!)

Anyway, it's purely conjecture, but it's a possibility.

Neil

Kevin,

That's very kind. Thank you very much.

Neil

Kevin was spot on.

His Labour Corps number confirms he was one of the original members of 18 Company which was formed from the 22nd West Yorks.

Ivor

Ivor, do you know what the cap badge was for the 18th Company of the Labour Corps? Does it match the one pictured?

This is all fitting together nicely. :)

Allie

Good idea.

At first, I didn't think it was the same badge, but now, I can see the similarities!!

Any idea where they served??

Thanks

Neil

post-35111-1213441792.jpg

Not a 100% sure of the Labour Corps cap badge, I know it was a crossed rifle and pick but when it was first used I don't know. The 22nd (Labour) Bn West Yorks would have worn the prancing horse cap badge of the West Yorks. I am sure that neither appear on the caps in the photo. The second badge looks to have the same shape as Sam's but sadly it's not the best pic to be a 100% sure but I think we may be looking at 2 Leeds Pals,

Jon

Not a 100% sure of the Labour Corps cap badge, I know it was a crossed rifle and pick but when it was first used I don't know. The 22nd (Labour) Bn West Yorks would have worn the prancing horse cap badge of the West Yorks. I am sure that neither appear on the caps in the photo. The second badge looks to have the same shape as Sam's but sadly it's not the best pic to be a 100% sure but I think we may be looking at 2 Leeds Pals,

Jon

The Labour Corps badge was adopted in 1917 and without wishing to split hairs the badge of the West Yorks was very much a flat out 'galloping' horse which distinguished if from the King's Liverpool Regt over the border in Lancashire, who did indeed have a badge of a 'prancing' horse.

No split hairs here Frogsmile :P indeed galloping would have been better terminology on my part and would I be right in thinking that it is the white horse of Hanover on the West Yorks badge?

Jon

The Sam Spencer on the MIC is 100% 22nd Battalion, are we sure that the Sam Spencer in the photo is the same as the Sam Spencer on the MIC?

Regards Kevin

Neil, is there any chance of a closer look at the other soldiers cap badge?

Jon

Yes, it is the White Horse of Hanover, see enclosure although the image is reversed.

post-599-1213454472.jpg

No doubt about it. This is the Sam Spencer who hitched up with a French girl, and set up a family with her in Frevent (the grandmother of my friend's wife). The photo was taken in Frevent.

Neil

Neil

So Sam Spencer 30192 was in the 22nd Battalion West Yorkshire Regt before moving on to the Labour Corps in May 1917 with the New number 10637.

The 30192 West Yorks number would have been issused early 1916, and alot of the men around this number where Transferred from the York and Lancaster's, but only Sam's service record would confirm this.

He may well have had previous service in another West Yorks Battalion, but again only the service record would confirm it.

Regards Kevin