The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

4th Canadian Mounted Rifles

snavek

Can a pal tell me if anyone has written a book, which covers in reasonable detail, the WW1 service of 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles please?

Keith

That's great Jon, a friend of mine had a relative serve with the 4th C.M.R., he's going to be a very happy man. Thank you very much.

Keith

For any of the Canadian Units you can also go to the CEFSG Matrix to see if there is a write-up about the unit. If there is, and most of the main infantry units are done, then there will be a list of references that have been identified, as well as an image of the cap badge (courtesy of Larry Will) and the shoulder patch.

For the 4th CMR (3rd Canadian Division, 8th Infantry Brigade) the page is here:

4th Canadian Mounted Rifles on the Matrix

You can look to see what units are listed here:

Matrix Main Index

and if you want to look to see if there are topics on the CEFSG, and links to the main Matrix site, then the summary tables are the best place to start:

Matrix Summary Tables - Pick the one you want

Matrix Summary Tables - short cut to the infantry battalions

If you are looking for information on a unit that has not been "written up" in the Matrix then let me know and I will put it together and post it. It is more or less a process of adding them as the need arises, as there are many to do. Please also report any errors or updates.

Richard

Richard, thanks for these great reference points and for your offer of help, much appreciated.

Keith

There is also a group interested in the 4th CMR which can be found at www.4cmr.com

Richard, thanks for these great reference points and for your offer of help, much appreciated.

Keith

There was also a book titled "They Went Together" by John Stephens available in Canada. It was a limited run, but there may be a few left. It told the story of 2 men from Ontario who joined the CEF, 1 in the 4th CMR and the other in the 21st Battalion CEF. There are quotes from letters home etc. Written from the view point of the soldier in the trench. There are about 40 pages devoted to the 4th CMR.

You can contact him the author at this email address

I have a copy and am pleased with it's content.