The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Scout Joe Cassells, The Black Watch

fifer

Hi Folks,

I've just completed my investigation of Joseph Samuel Cassells and I wanted to set the record straight on whether it was an accurate account of his experience or a "Story". Several years ago I purchased his book at auction and very much enjoyed reading it. After tracking him down in the records, Ships list to America, His marriage license in the States, US census records and finally 20 pages of his Military Records from 1905-1915. If anyone would like to view the records I have discovered please contact me at my email address: ajiehogg@aol.com and I will send them to you.

The files are to large to put on the forum and please let me know how large of a mail box you have on your INTERNET service before I send them.

Unfortunately I discovered in the records the book is not completely true, For example: His missing finger, His leg injury,Where he was born etc. After reading his Military records you will agree. There are many true facts in his book which I have confirmed But, there is also untruths which makes the credibility of the book weak.

Sorry to report this mates, The truth hurts. Regards, Alistair

Alistair,

I haven't done any research into his background but I did have some doubts as to his book's accuracy. We briefly discussed the book on another thread (see my signature below) from about post 117 onwards.

One statement he makes that I will take issue with is when he says he was the only 1st Bat BW Scout left at one point in the later part of 1914.

regards

Ian

What a coincidence! I am actually in the middle of reading this book :o

I have a vested interest - my great grandfather served in the same battalion - 1st Black Watch, and was sent to France on the same day - I am reading it to try and get a feel for what the troops went through in those early days, it really is a gruesome read.

I appreciate that he may have elaborated on some of his own personal contributions etc BUT! are most of the facts true about the trip to France, the battles, engagements and dates etc true?

Alistair,

I haven't done any research into his background but I did have some doubts as to his book's accuracy. We briefly discussed the book on another thread (see my signature below) from about post 117 on wards.

One statement he makes that I will take issue with is when he says he was the only 1st Bat BW Scout left at one point in the later part of 1914.

regards

Ian

Hi Ian, (My only son's name by the way)

Thank you for your reply and interest, Yes, I did read your post and it actually inspired me to share the truth about Joe Cassells. I'm a genealogist and a sleuth as well so its in my nature to look into things. I did NOT intend to discover what I did about Joe but that's what happens sometimes when you dig into the records.

I read this book several times before looking into the documents, I'm not a big book reader but this book really intrigued me. I could go on for days, I've been working on this for several years off and on. Would you (or anyone on the forum) like to view records of him that I have? Please let me know.

My granddad actually served in the same Battalion ( 2nd Black Watch) in India with Joe prior to WW1. Joe was a Drummer for 3 years and my granddad was a drummer as well.

Hope to Hear from Ian, Cheers

Regards, Alistair (Fifer)

Nicolaiona,

I think that the general detail is pretty much o.k., it's just some of the personal stuff that looks as if it has been embelished somewhat. The battalion left for France on the 13th August as your Gt Grandfather's medal card will tell you. As for the battles they fought, pick one, most likely the 1st BW was there.

Tom McCluskey posted the following article in another thread, although it is not obviously about your relative it gives a great insight into the sort of action the 1st were thrown in the early part of the war

"At the outbreak of the Great War L/Cpl David Martin was serving as a regular soldier with the 1st Bn The Black Watch in Aldershot as part of 1st (Guards) Brigade, 1st Division. The commanding officer was Lieutenant Colonel A. Grant-Duff, C.B.

The Battalion had been in Oudenarde Barracks Aldershot since February 1913 and had the advantage of having spent eighteen months at the principal training station of the army.

Between July 29th and August 8th 1914 all men had been recalled from leave including the arrival of five hundred reservists of time served men of both the 1st and 2nd Bns. On the 11th of August the Battalion was inspected by the King as Colonel-in-Chief of the Regiment who wished them good fortune. The Bn arrived at Le Harve on the 14th August with a fighting strength of 28 officers and 1031 other ranks.

Between 17th August and 15th October David Martin would take part in the epic fighting retreat from Mons and the subsequent advance which denied the Germans the quick victory they had planned for, and altered the outcome of the war, much to the consternation Kaiser Bill. Britain’s ‘contemptible little army’ did well!. See map,

I am certain that David fought at the Battle of the Marne 7th – 10th September and two days later at the Battle of the Ainse 12th – 26th September 1914.

On the 19th October, Sir John French ordered a general advance east by the British forces. The British were unaware that a superior German force was already closing in on Ypres, and so began the 1st Battle of Ypres in which the 1st Black Watch would take part in many of the crucial actions around Ypres from the north at Kortekeer Cabaret, Polygon Wood and down to the area of the Menin Road around Gheluvelt where the German main effort threatened the British line.

In the early hours of the 29th October the Germans attacked in great strength down the Menin road and in spite of determined resistance by the British line the enemy broke through and managed to roll up

B Company of the Black Watch and two companies of the Coldstream Guards, after fierce fighting by the remainder of the battalion, the line was restored, but some lost ground could not be recovered. The battalion losses that day were 5 officers and 250 men.

The Germans immediately brought up three fresh Army Corps for a decisive attack and to force a breakthrough against a weakened, and weary British line that had no chance of relief. The fighting continued over the next two days. On the 31st October now recognised as the start of the most critical period of the 1st Battle of Ypres. The enemy broke through and took Gheluvelt and after heavy fighting the village was eventually taken by the Worcestershire Regiment on the 2nd November.

Whilst the Worcesters were taking Gheluvelt, the British line on the Menin Road was again breached.

Your relative David Martin took part in what has been described as a brilliant counter-attack by the greatly reduced A, B and C companies of the 1st Battalion The Black Watch. The three companies with a total strength of 120 all ranks (this was less than the strength of a single company), who in spite of their paucity, managed to plug the gap, and by dogged resistance and feat of arms thwarted the German forward movement.

Lance Corporal David Martin fell during this action. Of the 120 men that went in that day only 75 were left standing; all the officers were either killed or wounded, 26 other ranks were killed and 34 wounded. This was a remarkable achievement by our men in spite of everything. Two further great offensives (1917 & 1918) would be fought by the Black Watch at Ypres but that is another story.

David Martin has no known grave his name is engraved on panel 37 of the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial.

Of the 28 officers and 1031 men that marched out of Oudenarde Barracks with David on the 13th August 1914 only one officer and 29 other ranks ended the Great War having served with the Battalion throughout. David would most certainly have known the officer who returned; Major and Quartermaster W. Fowler, MC, sometime RSM of the Battalion, and who at the end of the war became Quartermaster at Queens Barracks Perth where he would start an embryonic Regimental Museum, The museum is now in Balhousie Castle, Hay Street, Perth: A fitting memorial! where David is named in the Book of Remembrance, in the 1st World War room. Balhousie Castle is open all year (except Christmas & New Year), entry is free."

I would also point you in the direction of the main "Long, long Trail" site. Here you can find information on all the main battles of the war includingthe divisions, regiments and battalions that took part and the tactical reasons behind them . It is clearly written and is easy to follow and it is an absolute mine of information, especially for the novice.It is, in my opinion, a great advert for the educational power of the internet and the author, Chris Baker, deserves a huge amount of praise.

Alistair,

I hope your son has forgiven you for the choice of name! Many thanks for the offer I'd be delighted to see the information on Joe.

regards

Ian

Nicolaiona,

I think that the general detail is pretty much o.k., it's just some of the personal stuff that looks as if it has been embelished somewhat. The battalion left for France on the 13th August as your Gt Grandfather's medal card will tell you. As for the battles they fought, pick one, most likely the 1st BW was there.

Tom McCluskey posted the following article in another thread, although it is not obviously about your relative it gives a great insight into the sort of action the 1st were thrown in the early part of the war

"At the outbreak of the Great War L/Cpl David Martin was serving as a regular soldier with the 1st Bn The Black Watch in Aldershot as part of 1st (Guards) Brigade, 1st Division. The commanding officer was Lieutenant Colonel A. Grant-Duff, C.B.

The Battalion had been in Oudenarde Barracks Aldershot since February 1913 and had the advantage of having spent eighteen months at the principal training station of the army.

Between July 29th and August 8th 1914 all men had been recalled from leave including the arrival of five hundred reservists of time served men of both the 1st and 2nd Bns. On the 11th of August the Battalion was inspected by the King as Colonel-in-Chief of the Regiment who wished them good fortune. The Bn arrived at Le Harve on the 14th August with a fighting strength of 28 officers and 1031 other ranks.

Between 17th August and 15th October David Martin would take part in the epic fighting retreat from Mons and the subsequent advance which denied the Germans the quick victory they had planned for, and altered the outcome of the war, much to the consternation Kaiser Bill. Britain's 'contemptible little army' did well!. See map,

I am certain that David fought at the Battle of the Marne 7th – 10th September and two days later at the Battle of the Ainse 12th – 26th September 1914.

On the 19th October, Sir John French ordered a general advance east by the British forces. The British were unaware that a superior German force was already closing in on Ypres, and so began the 1st Battle of Ypres in which the 1st Black Watch would take part in many of the crucial actions around Ypres from the north at Kortekeer Cabaret, Polygon Wood and down to the area of the Menin Road around Gheluvelt where the German main effort threatened the British line.

In the early hours of the 29th October the Germans attacked in great strength down the Menin road and in spite of determined resistance by the British line the enemy broke through and managed to roll up

B Company of the Black Watch and two companies of the Coldstream Guards, after fierce fighting by the remainder of the battalion, the line was restored, but some lost ground could not be recovered. The battalion losses that day were 5 officers and 250 men.

The Germans immediately brought up three fresh Army Corps for a decisive attack and to force a breakthrough against a weakened, and weary British line that had no chance of relief. The fighting continued over the next two days. On the 31st October now recognised as the start of the most critical period of the 1st Battle of Ypres. The enemy broke through and took Gheluvelt and after heavy fighting the village was eventually taken by the Worcestershire Regiment on the 2nd November.

Whilst the Worcesters were taking Gheluvelt, the British line on the Menin Road was again breached.

Your relative David Martin took part in what has been described as a brilliant counter-attack by the greatly reduced A, B and C companies of the 1st Battalion The Black Watch. The three companies with a total strength of 120 all ranks (this was less than the strength of a single company), who in spite of their paucity, managed to plug the gap, and by dogged resistance and feat of arms thwarted the German forward movement.

Lance Corporal David Martin fell during this action. Of the 120 men that went in that day only 75 were left standing; all the officers were either killed or wounded, 26 other ranks were killed and 34 wounded. This was a remarkable achievement by our men in spite of everything. Two further great offensives (1917 & 1918) would be fought by the Black Watch at Ypres but that is another story.

David Martin has no known grave his name is engraved on panel 37 of the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial.

Of the 28 officers and 1031 men that marched out of Oudenarde Barracks with David on the 13th August 1914 only one officer and 29 other ranks ended the Great War having served with the Battalion throughout. David would most certainly have known the officer who returned; Major and Quartermaster W. Fowler, MC, sometime RSM of the Battalion, and who at the end of the war became Quartermaster at Queens Barracks Perth where he would start an embryonic Regimental Museum, The museum is now in Balhousie Castle, Hay Street, Perth: A fitting memorial! where David is named in the Book of Remembrance, in the 1st World War room. Balhousie Castle is open all year (except Christmas & New Year), entry is free."

I would also point you in the direction of the main "Long, long Trail" site. Here you can find information on all the main battles of the war includingthe divisions, regiments and battalions that took part and the tactical reasons behind them . It is clearly written and is easy to follow and it is an absolute mine of information, especially for the novice.It is, in my opinion, a great advert for the educational power of the internet and the author, Chris Baker, deserves a huge amount of praise.

Alistair,

I hope your son has forgiven you for the choice of name! Many thanks for the offer I'd be delighted to see the information on Joe.

regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

After you see the facts on Joe for yourself you'll have a hard time believing anything in his book except for dates etc. The war was a terrible experience without making up stories. Joe Cassells was a legend in his own mind and this book is nothing but a "Story". Again, I was disappointed to discover what I did on Joe having a proud association with the Black Watch, But, I felt obligated to disclose the truth especially for serious students of the war. Please email me at: ajiehogg@aol.com and I will send you the facts on Joe.

Regards, Alistair

[/color]

Ian, It gets better, my sons middle name is Robert. Great name, I know your just pulling my leg! Cheers

The war was a terrible experience without making up stories. Joe Cassells was a legend in his own mind and this book is nothing but a "Story".

Regards, Alistair

Well Sassoon's Complete Memoires of George Sherston is in the form of a novel, Goodby to all That by Robert Graves appears to contain some made up incidents and All Quiet on the Western Front is yet another story but they do get over a certain feel for events even if they should not be used as records of historical accuracy.

Well Sassoon's Complete Memoires of George Sherston is in the form of a novel, Goodby to all That by Robert Graves appears to contain some made up incidents and All Quiet on the Western Front is yet another story but they do get over a certain feel for events even if they should not be used as records of historical accuracy.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I'm sure many books have tales in them that are not true. My point is "Truth is stranger than fiction"

Regards, Alistair

Alistair,

What did Joe Cassell actually say in his book regarding the missing finger and leg injury? Wouldnt mind reading his book but not if it turns out his story cant be relied on.

Regards Nick

Alistair,

What did Joe Cassell actually say in his book regarding the missing finger and leg injury? Wouldnt mind reading his book but not if it turns out his story cant be relied on.

Regards Nick

Hi Nick,

Please read the book, It can be read in one sitting. Do you have a copy? If not you can read it online. I don't want to discourage anyone from reading the book. The information and documents I have will make more sense after you have read the book as well.

Regards, Alistair

Hi Alistair,

I dont have a copy but i will read it on line had a quick sneak at his military records so was intrigued.

Thanks Nick

Just thought I would add this illustrated cover of his book.

Ron.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for posting the cover, I've never seen the original dust cover before. Are you interested in seeing what I discovered on Joe? let me know if your interested and I'll send you the information. I'll send you some pictures as well, Cheers

Regards, Alistair

Hi Ron,

Thanks for posting the cover, I've never seen the original dust cover before. Are you interested in seeing what I discovered on Joe? let me know if your interested and I'll send you the information. I'll send you some pictures as well, Cheers

Regards, Alistair

Here's the link to the book online internet Archive

Internet Archive: Details: The Black Watch; a record in action