The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Peaceful

Moston

Written for older children - but I recommend it to you as a very good read.

It tells the story very innocently of how the war arrives and smacks a simple family in the face. It's possible to read in one day and is very difficult to put down similarly it's hard not to flick to the end to see what the chapter headings are leading to !

This book was recommended to me by a Librarian friend as the kind of book that makes you get to grips with the emotion of the time. She knew nowt about WW1....naturally I was doubtful it was the book for me.

Very well written, in fact so well written I can't say much about it as it would take too much away from the reader as they near the final chapter.

It will fail completely to flick switches for those of you who like hard facts & detailed military history...but if you have a heart as well...you'll like the book.

Simon.

Simon,

I agree, well written and avoids the usual traps into which many modern day writers fall.

Evidently Morpurgo wrote the book after finding the grave of Private Peaceful in Bedford House Cemetery, Ypres, school groups now heavily visit that grave possibly leading the occupant to muse “How did I become that famous”

All the best,

Paul.

I have read Michael Morpurgo's book "War Horse" and seen the play at the National Theatre, both of which I thoroughly recommend.

I believe that the play is coming on again this autumn at the National.

Moriaty

I have got the cd of 'Private Peaceful' as performed at Hay-on-wye (I think), with the folk singers Coope, Boyes and Simpson providing musical interludes. I thought it was pretty good and the music really took it to another level. I tend to just listen to the music rather than the spoken word stuff.

The timing of the story bothers me a little. From what I can recall, it seems to be set in June 1916 and describes a massive German attack. I may be wrong but I don't recall hearing about any big German attacks round that time on the British part of the front. Not a big deal but maybe they should have set it in March 1918 instead or something..

Pvt Peaceful lays at rest to the right of L/Cpl Tidy. If that was by accident I will eat my hat.

Not read the book, but did hear a paper given on its content and structure. It wound me up, but thats perhaps just me!

regards

Arm

See a review by Dennis Williams on the Centre for First World War Studies web site - Uni of Bham. Under Book Reviews