The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"The Greater Game"

libster

I've just finished this new release from "Pen and Sword" which, as its subtitle indicates, deals with sporting icons who fell in the Great War. Popular sports such as rugby, football and cricket have already been reasonably well served, but although the authors include some of the "usual suspects," such as rugby union international Edgar Mobbs, Kent spinner Colin Blythe and footballer Donald Bell VC, they've cast their net a lot wider to feature many other sports including tennis, boxing, ice hockey, golf and even Aussie rules. A nice balance has been struck between the sporting and military content, with useful historical context provided for some of the less familiar sporting activities. Although it might be suggested that anyone who openly admits to supporting Charlton or West Ham can know very little about sport, the enthusiasm of the authors (both Forum members and familiar to some of us through Battle-Honours Tours) for their subject shines through in the telling of a lot of new and fascinating stories. What also comes across very clearly is the importance of sport as a morale booster during the war years. This is a very entertaining book and a most welcome addition to the First World War library. Highly recommended.

Libster

Thanks for posting Libster - I was aware this was coming out, and it's very useful to get a review - looks like one to get

Alan

Superb book, well researched and well written.

I feel like sending a copy to certain sporting 'superstars' of the modern day, maybe it would make them realise what a real sporting hero is.

A must for all Great War enthusiasts.

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

If the book is as entertaining and thorough as their walks, this book will be outstanding.

But I do wonder that being a Charlton fan, does Clive really know that much about sport!

Regards..........Ian

If the book is as entertaining and thorough as their walks, this book will be outstanding.

But I do wonder that being a Charlton fan, does Clive really know that much about sport!

Regards..........Ian

Thank You Ian old chap, being an addick season ticket holder and having to watch it whilst you munch prawn sandwiches and pick up yet more tiresome silverware (surely they cant expect you poor united fans to travel to Wembley again this season youve been three times already and its a longway from Cornwall/Belfast/Milton Keynes delete where appropriate is the common complaint I hear), I may not understand sport but it does give me a pretty good insight into attrition and the understanding that not all plans go as expected!

And after all just like the being in the army, watching charlton your not there to enjoy yourself, if I was I would watch Palace of Millwall, sometimes their hillarious ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Clive,

I've just read your book, and what a pleasure it was, a first class job, well researched and entertaining aswell, I wish you all the success with it, just one gripe though, How long did you have to hold your belly in, for that Bell's photo, it looks like you're going to pass out. But its worth it, it looks so natural! :lol:

See you on a tour next year.

Regards,

Ian

Hello Clive,

I've just read your book, and what a pleasure it was, a first class job, well researched and entertaining aswell, I wish you all the success with it, just one gripe though, How long did you have to hold your belly in, for that Bell's photo, it looks like you're going to pass out. But its worth it, it looks so natural! :lol:

See you on a tour next year.

Regards,

Ian

Thanks Ian, it was my Ralph Milne look, remember him?