The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MY BIT - A Lancashire Fusilier at War 1914-18

SMG65

Have just finished the above book written by George Ashurst and give it 10/10.

It is well written with superb detail and realism.

Ashurst rose to the rank of Sergeant and was commissioned at the end of the war.

We all visit the Sunken Lane on the Somme and think of Malins film of the Lancashire Fusiliers, well Ashurst, although not in the film, was in the Sunken Lane for most of the 1st and the morning of the 2nd. After reading his words you will never look at the Sunken Lane in the same way again.

He has a no nonsense approach to life, when mistakenly accused by his Commanding Officer of not being able to control men, Cpl Ashurst replied to his Lt Col 'I was controlling men before your battalion existed'. He was placed under arrest but when brought in front of the CO all charges were dismissed when the truth came out.

That is an example of the pace and approach of the book

I recommend it to eveyone.

Sean

Sean, Must agree, read it a long while ago, I have it in my library. Didnt know it was still available. Ralph.

best account by an true OR man I have ever read, there is a recording of him too, a friend has it. He starts out with the boat to France, a man cut his throat, " Some wag put it oit he'd been to France before."

Great book....and very personal for me as my Great Grandfather was in the 1st Lancs Fusiliers and killed in action in the attack from the Sunken Lane. He was also in Gallipolli first just like Ashurst, so reading Ashurst's book is the closest I'll get to knowing exactly what he went through....maybe they knew each other and shared a fag occasionally who knows?

Glyn

A friend of mine from Bolton with little interest knew of mine and picked this up for pennies and mailed it to me a few years ago, a bit of great luck, I've read it several times.

• 3 weeks later...

You all may like to see Georges grave at Tontine, near Wigan.

To use old Lancashire words "ee were a grand owd mon"

Bob grundy

post-18171-1217629200.jpg