The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"After the War" by Hugh Clout

sassoon

Just wondering if anyone has a copy of this book they are willing to sell? If this is in the wrong section, please move to the appropriate location.

Thanks.

The book you are looking for is After The Ruins : Restoring The Countryside Of Northern France After The Great War

5 copies HERE and probably more on Amazon.

Kind Regards,

SMJ

A fascinating detailed book which has been very well researched. Sadly it's quite pricey on the market and well beyond my pocket, however I did manage to obtain the ISBN no. and asked in my local library if it was obtainable through an inter library loan...three weeks later I had the book and was allowed to keep it for 12 weeks. I'm sure that something similar would be availale through Canadian library's,

cheers, Jon

Thanks for the link, Simon. I have to agree with Jon, however, and say that the book is a tad pricey. I will try the library route and see if that works. Thanks, gentlemen!

This is a very detailed book with lots of info. I too borrowed it from the library via interlibrary loan. It is written by a geographer or planner I can't remember which and although fascinating I didn't actually find it of great interest WW1 wise. But perhaps that's just me.

I found it hard to get into when I ordered it through an inter-library loan. It seemed very technical and I found it hard to extract much from it. That may of course be more of a reflection on me.

Keith

Good to know! Can you be more specific in how you mean you didn't find it useful for us WWI buffs? I thought it was related to WWI in that it discussed how Northern France rebuilt itself after the war???

My best recollection after an interval of about a year is that the book focussed on economic redevelopment with statistics for everything. That may be unfair to a serious piece of work. I had hoped for more narrative about the actual processes of redevelopment. I am sure that the book addressed the issues that it was intended to; it just read dryer than dust, and seemed aimed at professional geographers.

It was quite a time ago, so I am happy to be corrected by anyone who has read the book more recently.

Keith

Thanks for elaborating. It sounds more technical rather than historical. I'd like to check it out still but I think I will save the $ and try to get it in at the library. Thanks for all your feedback.

It is a serious piece of work, as Keith alludes, and also an academic study. It's style may not appeal to everyone (read: will not) but it is a fascinating view of rebuilding on a state scale. There are a lot of statistics but there was a LOT of work to do and it would, I think, be impossible to get the proportions without a multitude of measurements. There is also the contrast between state and local desires which is covered superbly.

It's not a light read but I do urge anyone interested in the Great War, or those who fought in it, or where they were, to have a go; even to pick through.

It will be an eye-opener.

Kind Regards,

SMJ

If you order it look carefully at the small print of the suppliers especially about the delivery dates which can be very long. and i certainly wouldn't go down the WH Smith route.

Definately not worth the prices being charged.

Mick

One left at Amazon UK for immediate delivery + more on the way.

Seems to have grown in popularity.

SMJ

Good to know! Can you be more specific in how you mean you didn't find it useful for us WWI buffs? I thought it was related to WWI in that it discussed how Northern France rebuilt itself after the war???

It is I think an academic book used by other academics for reference and information. Much of the info is of interest but it is certainly not a "readable" book IMHO. Certainly worth getting from the library, I found one or two parts interesting and illuminating. It makes me think that there is room for a book covering the topic suitable for the more general reader.

It is a serious piece of work, as Keith alludes, and also an academic study. It's style may not appeal to everyone (read: will not) but it is a fascinating view of rebuilding on a state scale. There are a lot of statistics but there was a LOT of work to do and it would, I think, be impossible to get the proportions without a multitude of measurements. There is also the contrast between state and local desires which is covered superbly.

It's not a light read but I do urge anyone interested in the Great War, or those who fought in it, or where they were, to have a go; even to pick through.

It will be an eye-opener.

Kind Regards,

SMJ

Very good post. Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts on this book. I still want to get it, just not sure if I will spend the $ for it (I'll try to borrow it).

Living in South Africa I didnt even try our inter library loans as I dont think there is enough interest in this type of work. So I just have to order sight unseen from N & M or Amazon. It was a very very pricy and there wasnt a ssecond hand copy either.

I found the beginning very intereting - particularly since I have become more and more interested in the archaeology (so called) of the reconstructed areas. But then it all became too much - endless figures and data - and it really wasnt for a WWI enthusiast.

So - if I hadnt seen it I would have eaten my heart out worrying what I had missed, Now I have it it sits on the shelf.

Id borrow not buy.

Kathie