The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Fromelles 1916

1st east yorks

Hello bookworms,

Seen this book in Waterstones:

Fromelles 1916 by Paul Cobb.

I know very little about this battle.Any comments on this particular book before i buy?

Much appreciated,

Anthony.

havnt seen this one whats the price might just get it if it reasonable another to add to the retirement collection :lol:

tafski

Tafski,

If i recall correctly the price was £17.99.The book was published in 2007,so its not a brand new book.

Anthony.

Available for £12.59 +p&p from Amazon or £6.99 +P&P through their 'New & Used' section.

If you buy from Amazon don't forget to use the link from this site so the Forum gets a small contribution

Peter

Thanks Peter,

Anthony.

If someone has read it, please give us a review of it.

Kim

Kim,

As the author of 'Fromelles 1916' it clearly isn't for me to offer an opinion!! However, if you search on Amazon someone has very recently placed a glowing review which may help to inform you.

Other reviews - all very good I am pleased to say - have been in Reveille (the RSL magazine), the British Army Review and Soldier magazine. There are also comments on the Aus Light Horse Assocn website.

My association with Fromelles and the museum and ASBF goes back to 1989. The book took years of research and I accessed a wide range of archives in the UK and at the AWM; veterans were also interviewed so that the experiences of the ordinary soldier were included. A lot of previously unpublished material was incorporated including much provided by families of men who had served at Fromelles. The result is a pretty comprehensive account that covers the formation of 61st (South Midland) Div and 5th Aus Div, the preparations for the battle, the action itself, the aftemath including POW, medical arrangements, the wounded etc. It also deals with the controversial dismissal of Col Harold Pope using papers provided by his family. Unfortunately due to space restrictions a further selection of appendices including a (as complete as is possible) British, Australian and German casualty list could not be included but the salient information and much more is contained in the ~240 pages. there are photos and maps and it is fully referenced throughout.

I hope you'll be persuaded to get a copy and find it an informative account of a terrible day on the Western Front which has come to prominence again due to the mass grave excavations.

I understand it is available in Australia but not as widely as I'd like.

Paul C

I own a copy and have enjoyed what I've read so far.

(I always seem to have half a dozen books on the go at once !)

Mick

Mick,

Thanks for you comments.

Paul,

I started this thread so thanks for the added information on your book.

Considering the Australian input into the Battle of Fromelles im surprised about its limited availability in your country.

My knowledge of this battle is limited so I will be adding your book to my collection.

Thanks,

Anthony.

• 1 month later...

Ordered this book from Amazon a week ago and have started it already (it has queue jumped outrageously!). I will post a full review when I've finished but just wanted to mention that it is a very readable book so far. The detailed footnotes and bibliography should be held up as a model to anyone thinking of writing any non-fiction. Paul Cobb has clearly worked very hard on researching and writing this book.

Tim