The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Times History of the War, Illustrated

dek

I once saw an advertisement for a 33 volume set of the Times (I assume London Times) History of the War, Illustrated. Any information regarding availability, cost, etc? I believe it was published around 1923 and contained the news articles published during that period (1914-1918). Thanks, Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
I once saw an advertisement for a 33 volume set of the Times (I assume London Times) History of the War, Illustrated. Any information regarding availability, cost, etc? I believe it was published around 1923 and contained the news articles published during that period (1914-1918). Thanks, Dennis

It was effectively started as a part work, but is most commonly seen as a series of bound volumes, either21 or 22 (I can't remember which). In addition there was a later index which is far scarcer than the narrative volumes.

It is very well illustrated and remains one of the key sources for some aspects of the war - in particular eastern front experts still use it as one of the better documents of that front.

The illustrations are a delight and the story is reasonably accurate, though it is governed by the censorship and limitations of the time - though probably less so that you imagine. A set at a reasonable price is a delight to own, but is not easy to find and prices vary extremely widely (some are very silly).

It is not a set of volumes commonly touted by book dealers because it is large and extremely heavy so it is often avoided which means it is far scarcer in the book trade than you might imagine.

How desperate are you for a copy/set and to what extent does condition matter?

Martin

As above it is a large set and quite often found incomplete at fairs etc. Picked up a full set together with a set of The War Illustrated for around £50 at a Spinks auction some years back. The trade don't like it so keep your eyes open and it is usually cheap.

As always this site below remains the place to learn about Great War periodicals. Not only one of the best 14-18 sites but one of the most comprenhensives websites regardless on the 'net:

http://www.greatwardifferent.com/Great_War/index.htm

http://www.greatwardifferent.com/Great_War...Media/Media.htm

http://www.greatwardifferent.com/Great_War...Media/Times.htm

Came across a set in the Irish Buy and Sell a few months ago, when I contacted the seller he had only 17 vol's but said he could get hold of the other five ? "make me a offer says he"...............he's still waiting, something just not right there me thinks.

Peter

PS> I am on the look out for the set of " I was there", if anybody comes across it. please PM me.

Hi,

You are able to download most if it for free at the internet archive. Just google it and then search for the title you want. I'd recommend the site to anyone. It's a goldmine.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi,

remind me how you download the files again. Say using DjVu. Used it before but old grey cells have forgotten how to download rather than read the file online.

len

Hi,

answered my own question by trail and error. Now downloaded a few volumes. Some very interesting pictures, especially of the 'Dominions'. Princess Patricia's etc. What a pity volume 3 dealing with Ist Ypres is not there, but enjoying reading about Festubert etc. Certainly very in depth. Exhaustively so. Some reasonable maps too.

Len

Hi Derek,

I'll do my best to guide you through.

1. Click this link to go to the Internet Archive.

2, Once there, enter 'Times History of the War' in the left hand search box (top of page), and in the right, select texts.

3. Hit 'Go'.

4. Click the title of the download you want and wait for the resultant page to load.

5. In the box headed 'view the book', select how you want to see the book. My own preference is to download it using PDF or FTP.

6. Be sure to save the file to somewhere where you'll be able to find it again!

7. Enjoy. If you have any trouble, come back and I'll see if I can help any further.

8. Be sure to experiment with what you search for, there really is something for Great War buffs of all hues.

Cheers,

Nigel