The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German Camps: Is there a list

Andrew Hesketh

Apologies if this question has been raised and answered before.

Would anyone know where I could get a list of places that Allied POW's were sent inside Germany? I imagine such a list would be huge if it does exist.

I'm asking as I've been shown some stuff relating to a man I'm researching who was taken POW in October 1914. He thus spent virtually the whole war in captivity. However the photos he brought home included many of a family and a farmhouse in Germany were he (presumably) was sent to work. The fact that he kept them suggests he and his 'employers' got on pretty well. Anyway, there are no location details except for a postcard which is printed with the words 'Gruss Aus Neuenkirchen, Kr Melle'. So I'm wondering if this may be the location of a POW camp.

All the best,

Andrew

Andrew.

Try this link... POW camps 1914-18

Dave.

Thanks Dave. It looks as though I'll have to dust down my schoolboy French again!

The Imperial War museum have reissued a wartime pamphlet which details POW camps, they have an online site, it's also available via www.naval-military-press.com

Hi Andrew

The book Manxman is referring to the following one:

Map of the Main Prison Camps in Germany and Austria by Mrs Pope-Hennessy.

It was published by Nisbet & Co. Ltd and was reprinted by the Imperial War Museum.

Apart from the map the book gives brief descriptions of the camps, here is the one for Neunkirchen - "A small town on the railway near Saarbrucken. The officers are quartered in the house of the Catholic monks." The camp was in the 21st Army Corps area.

Regards

Steve

• 1 month later...

The translation of the (German) words on the card is : "Greetings from Neuenkirchen, Kreis Melle"

In Germany most small villages/settlements are attached the nearest large town, thus Neuenkirchen would be the village, and Melle the larger town.....suggest you look for Melle first, as in Germany, even now, a village can be a farm, and a few nearby houses, so you might not find Neuenkirchen straight away.

From a brief search on the web, Melle seems to be near Hannover.........

Remember also, that unless you have other documents referring to Neuenkirchen, the postcard may be just that, and not ness. related to where the guy was interned.

Vielen gluck !

Slainte, Alan

Alan,

Thanks for the translation and time spent searching on my behalf. Much appreciated. :D

Neuenkirchen bei Melle is definitive a small town near Osnabrueck/Hannover. I have checked the homepage of Neuenkirchen bei Melle and found a pretty detailed map (unfortunately copy protected) . If you have any further info other than the town’s name we might be able to narrow down the track. I suspect there was no large POW camp, maybe the prisoner worked in Neuenkirchen at a local farmer

If you enter this link by clicking you are on the homepage of Melle; enter the mainpage and hit the word "Stadtplan" (city map) at top of page; you will be directed to the next page. Look for "Alternativ Stadtplan" and click the blue link "Melle-Neuenkirchen". It takes a while and you will see a detailed map. Scroll to the far right and bottom and you will see the region "your" POW had a relative peaceful life....one of those farms should be it...

Egbert,

Excellent link, thanks. It looks like quite a nice area and my 'POW' seemed quite happy. He sent numerous postcards home of his new German friends on the farm.

Thanks again,

Andrew