Hallo Fellow members, :D

post-18479-1216671716.jpg

this one has got me stumped, about 4 inches wide,

I would welcome any ideas, does the crown hint to any period,

I thought early 1900s to WW1.

Sorry no picture of the rear as yet.

Connaught Stranger :D

Is it the Sally Ann?

In AbeBooks there's a book called "In this sign conquer - story of the army chaplains". Also further searches point to a website about Anglican Priests called "In This Sign Conquer: A History of the Society of the Holy Cross 1855-2005".

Maybe a religious connection then? :lol:

EDIT ----- Got the answer you need - click here --> Royal Army Chaplains

Les

Royal Army Chaplains Department

chaplain-kc.jpg

I cannot find an example similar to what you posted though

EDIT: darn too slow :P

The AChD Badge centre is post WW1 type[1919],when it became RAChD

A Thought:~Could it be a clergyman's cape Badge????

From The Horse's Mouth~RAChD

Army Chaplains Badge

The major feature is the silver Maltese Cross - used by the Crusaders and formed by placing four spear heads together so that the points meet in the centre. The motto is "In this sign conquer" and is attributed to a vision received by one of the early Christian Emperors. The whole badge has a wreath as a background - recalling the memorial element of a Chaplains work. The wreath changes between countries - e.g., in the British Army the wreath is oak; in Canada the wreath is maple; in New Zealand the wreath is fern and tea tree. In Australia the wreath is Eucalyptus and Wattle.

As per HarryBetts - Was thinking also it is maybe a badge for a a ceremonial robe/cape, going by the size of it.

I'm not too familiar with the full dress uniform of the pre-1919 RAChD, and depending on the size could it be either a crossbelt or pouch badge??

Two small points:

The shape of the crown puts it in the period 1901-1952 (the Imperial or 'Kings' pattern.

The size suggests that it is a scarf badge. The preaching scarf is the black cloth worn round the neck and reaching almost to the ground, worn by Anglican clergymen and possibly others.

Ron

This is not a BRITISH Army Chaplains' Badge. The colours are totally wrong. The Royal Army Chaplains' Badge /Crest introduced in 1930 was the centre and scroll in Garter Blue whilst the arms of the cross are in silver.

There are numbers of this type of badge about. They crop quite often on fleabay - often in North America. Could be a spurious badge? Anyone heard of the Maker 'AGNEW'

A

Fellow Members, many thanks for the contributions in regards to my question.

The mystery continues, but one would have to ask,

apart from colour why would an organization use a badge which is so close.

to that in design of the Army Chaplains' Badge and with the same motto.

Were the different colors representative of the former Commonwealth countries,

Canada, Australia, and New Zealand??

Connaught Stranger :D

Could it be a regimental car badge? These used to be very popular in the 1950s mounted on the bumper bars of civilian cars. The fittings on the back would help to make this clearer. In my experience the badges worn on clerical dress such as stoles etc tend to be embroidered rather than metal.

Incidentally I think that Australia, Canada and New Zealand all remain Commonwealth countries and, at least for the time being , constitutional monarchies.

Regards

Greg

This is not a BRITISH Army Chaplains' Badge. The colours are totally wrong. The Royal Army Chaplains' Badge /Crest introduced in 1930 was the centre and scroll in Garter Blue whilst the arms of the cross are in silver.

There are numbers of this type of badge about. They crop quite often on fleabay - often in North America. Could be a spurious badge? Anyone heard of the Maker 'AGNEW'

A

I have an old sweetheart badge to the Border regiment that is maker stamped `AGNEW`

Bill.

• 1 month later...
...Could be a spurious badge? Anyone heard of the Maker 'AGNEW'

Or even a "Spirios" {AGNEW} Badge~Sorry! :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

Hello everybody! Were you able to find out something about this sign? I found the same, and its history is very interesting.  Thank you!!

Order_c1.jpg

I find these often at antique fairs etc .... I've always thought they are surplus badges that have been made into costume jewellery. No military or religious connection in my mind.

Ypres1915