The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

L/Cp. Major Phillips and Lt. Parry

eric e

post-17375-1216847534.jpg

This lovely silver cigarette case belongs to one of my workmates. It was presented to his grandfather, Lance corporal Major Phillips by a Lt. Raymond Barrington Parry. Major Phillips Reg. No. 22429 of the 11th Bn South Wales Borders saved the Lieutenants life by carrying him back to safety from no mans land on the 11th July 1916.

Could I ask for my colleague please, would one of the experts on The Welsh at Mametz Wood supply some info into what action the SWB were involved in that day. He would also like to find out more about Lt. Parry if possible.

Sadly L/Cp. Major Phillips didn't survive the war, dying at Passchendaele on the 31st July 1917. He his remembered with honour on the Menin Gate memorial.

We know Lt. Parry survived the war as for some years after he sent Christmas hampers to Mrs. Phillips.

Kind regards,

Eric.

• Admin

Eric

If you can try to Get hold of Mametz Lloyd Georges Welsh Army at the Battle of The Somme by Colin Hughes. As to Lt Parry it is probably worth asking if anyone can see if his records are on Ancestry.

Regards, Michelle

Forum member Geraint may be able to help you. But he's away in France at the moment.

Nice to see another local member.

Neil

As I have Colin Hughes' book on Mametz I'll try to reply and leave others more expert to amplify the account in due course:

The 11th (2nd Gwent) SWB was part of the 115th Brigade, and with the 16th (Cardiff) Welsh Regt. was given the task of attacking the Wood in the first assault on 7th July. The SWBs took the left attack position with their flank close to Caterpillar Wood, the Welsh on the right. When they advanced at 8:30am against the southeastern section of Mametz Wood (the "Hammerhead") they came under heavy machine-gun fire from there and the unsuppressed enemy positions on their right flank in nearby Flatiron Copse and Sabot Copse. The attack stalled in the open before they got near the Wood, with heavy casualties. The 10th (1st Gwent) SWBs supported, but in the end the survivors had to withdraw.

The 115th Brigade was kept out of the start of the next attack on Mametz Wood on 10th July, which involved the 113th and 114th Brigades, who penetrated the southern part of the Wood and became involved in desperate fighting in the confusion of the shattered trees. To help, the 115th Brigade then sent in the 17th RWF and the 10th SWB. Generally, the assaults made good progress in the face of a determined defence and the tangled vegetation.

At 5am on 11th July, Brigr. -Gen. Evans of the 115th took over inside the Wood, and relieved some units of the 113 & 114 Bdes with the 16th Welsh and two companies of the 11th SWB. The other 2 companies, with their attached brigade MGC and trench-mortar units, held the western end of Caterpillar Wood. He reorganised the scattered, tired assault units ready for a final push to clear the northern fringe of Mametz Wood. In this scheme, the 2 coys 11th SWB took up position east of the central "Ride" through the forest, and were given the task of clearing the north-east section of the Wood.

After delays, at 3:30pm the attack began, with the 11th SWB companies fighting their way through the woodland in the face of a determined defence which used good defensive MG fire, and reached the northeast corner about 5:40pm. The units to their left, however, met even stronger resistance and despite being reinforced were pushed back. This left the SWB's with enemy troops to their left, and though about 8pm they tried to work westwards along the northern edge of the Wood they could make no progress. Dangerously exposed, the SWBs Colonel Gaussen was allowed to withdraw his men and by 9:20pm they were back where they started. The enemy shelled the wood all night but under cover of this and the darkness, withdrew most of their remaining troops.

At dawn on the 12th July with the skeleton enemy force still in possession of the northern fringe, the exhausted 38th Welsh Division troops were relieved by troops of 21st Division and pulled back 9 miles to billets round Ribemont and Treux.

Hope this helps!

LST_164

Michelle,

Thanks for replying, I know someone with Ancestry membership, I'm sure she will do a look up of Lt. Parry for me.

Neil,

I was beginning to wonder where the welsh experts were, not sure yet, but hopefully I will be in Telford on the 6th.

LST_164

Many thanks for the time and effort you have taken in replying. I'm sure my colleague Brian will be very interested to hear the information you have supplied, when we get back from our 2 week summer shut down.

Kind regards to all,

Eric.

Likewise Neil.

Eric

I just wanted to say what a wonderful object the cigarette case is. It is regrettable that Major never made it.

Regards

Mel

Ps Lt Parry's papers are only available from the NA - only the papers of ORs are available through Ancestry.

Mel,

I quite agree, a quality piece and the engraving is superb, quite expensive too I should think. The wording "as a token of deep appreciation and everlasting gratitude" certainly convey the depth of Lt. Parry's feelings. Also "upon the occasion of 11th July 1916 in Mametz Wood", an event, time and place that Major Phillips, had he lived, could have remembered with pride every time he opened the case.

Brian told me that over 50 years ago, when he was about 12 he went with his father to visit his grandfathers grave. His followed his father up and down the rows of gravestones but they couldn't locate the grave. Perplexed his father asked and was directed to the Menin Gate memorial. It was only then that his father realised that Majors body had never been found. With tears rolling down his face, Brians father then looked and found the name of Major Phillips on the memorial.

Thanks for the postscript.

Regards,

Eric.

Couldn't help with this I'm afraid as I'm currently in Cornwall, away from my papers/books and with intermittent access to the web.

cracking replies though!

Bernard ('Welsh expert'; ex - a has been; spert - a drip under pressure)

Bernard,

Better a has been than someone who's never been, at least you can talk from experience.

Whenever I've posted on here I've always been grateful for the time and effort people take in their replies.

That said, when you get back from your hols? if you can add anything further it would be appreciated. :)

Kind regards,

Eric.

Give me a day or two more but I'm not certain I'll have anything more...

Bernard

Eric - I've sent you an image but have 3 more; your forum inbox is full so I can't send any more. Either clear some out or send me your 'real' e-mail address. Lt Parry get a very brief mention.

Bernard

Bernard,

Thanks for the image. I have now emptied some of my inbox.

Regards,

Eric.

Bernard,

Many thanks for the images, I'm sure Brian will be very grateful too for all your help. With the information both you and LST_164 have supplied we should be able to start to build up a picture of Majors likely experiences that day.

Kind regards,

Eric.

Happy to assist, Eric!

Bernard

• 2 years later...
Guest alex-cane

Hello there,

Raymond Barrington Parry was my great grandfather.

According to my grandmother who, at 91 years old is very much still alive, he was badly injured and carried for four miles across no mans land by Major Parry, his 'batman' (?)

Though he never fully recovered from his wounds, he was able to bring up his family, and the story of his saving from the Somme was something he passed on to my grandmother.

The details of the cigarette case and annual food hampers wasn't known to my grandmother until I found this forum. Thank you for helping me extend this important family story for her.

Major Philips is now known to us by name, and he lives on as this story is passed down to the next generation of our family.

Best regards,

- Alex

For information; Atkinson's history of the SWBs down to 1937 gives his service as:

Raymond Barington Parry - 2nd Lieutenant (Tempy.) 12 December 1914, Lieutenant (T.) 1 June 1915. Resigned Commission 3 April 1918.

His MIC card is the Silver War Badge type, describes him as "Hon. Lieut." and "S.Wales Bords. Att(ached)". Badge eligibility determined on 27.3.18, and address given as ?Orotava House, 168 Willesden Lane, (London) SW6. No mention as to medals.

LST_164

Made all the more poignant as he married just under a year later, something he had every reason to be grateful for - as does Alex, who wouldn't be here but for that brave action!!

NAME: Raymond Barrington Parry. BIRTH: 3rd Qtr 1893 - Wandsworth, Greater London, London, Surrey

NAME: Raymond Barrington Parry. MOTHER: Beatrice Frances Parry. FATHER: Erenst Henry Parry

BAPTISM: 29 Mar 1896 - Camberwell St Giles, Surrey

NAME: Raymond Barrington Parry. SPOUSE: Lily Rose Godson. FATHER: Ernest Henry Parry

BIRTH: abt 1894. MARRIAGE: 14 Jun 1917 - Westminster, London

NAME: Raymond B Parry. BIRTH: abt 1894. DEATH: Jun 1963 - St Pancras, London.

PS: I just wondered if L/Cpl Phillips was at the wedding? Was that when he got the cigarette case?

Maybe there are photos of the event? Perhaps worth a check to see if anyone with a Lance Corporal stripe is there.

6 weeks later he was killed. Lt Parry seems to have been "lucky" to survive what seems to be a further serious wounding in March 1918 (the German offensive).

Here is L/Cpl Major Phillips's name from the Menin Gate (taken 2 years ago):

post-12434-0-25402200-1309539744.jpg

LST_164

• 3 weeks later...

I am the granddaughter of Lance Corporal Major Phillips ( Major was his christian name ) as children we heard the stories of him saving someones life and about the christmas hampers to his wife, my grandmother. I have read with interest the entries with regards to the Cigarette Case presented to him by Raymond Barrington Parry, and now know that his daughter , Myrtle, is still alive , and his great grandson has been in touch with my sister in Australia. I knew nothing of the existence of the cigarette case though, must have words with my cousin !!!

Regards Shirley

Apologies to all for not replying to these posts earlier but I've not been on the GWF so much recently. I posted the cigarette case on behalf of a friend from work who has now retired.I will get in touch with him tomorrow and warn him that other members of his family may be taking an unhealthy interest in his inheritance. :lol: I'm sure he will be very grateful for the information supplied by you all.

Kind regards,

Eric.

Having read the thread with interest [and curiosity about the new 'rank' of L/Cpl Major!!!] I am delighted to see that family members have caught up with the story.

Good work all round.

D

post-17375-1216847534.jpg

This lovely silver cigarette case belongs to one of my workmates. It was presented to his grandfather, Lance corporal Major Phillips by a Lt. Raymond Barrington Parry. Major Phillips Reg. No. 22429 of the 11th Bn South Wales borders saved the Lieutenants life by carrying him back to safety from no mans land on the 11th July 1916.

Could I ask for my colleague please, would one of the experts on The Welsh at Mametz Wood supply some info into what action the SWB were involved in that day. He would also like to find out more about Lt. Parry if possible.

Sadly L/Cp. Major Phillips didn't survive the war, dying at Passchendaele on the 31st July 1917. He his remembered with honour on the Menin Gate memorial.

We know Lt. Parry survived the war as for some years after he sent Christmas hampers to Mrs. Phillips.

Kind regards,

Eric.

Eric, May I thank you for all your help with placing the cigarette case & details relating to my grandfather Major ( Christian name not rank) Phillips & Lt. R.B Parry. Without your help I would not have learnt that my cousin Shirley & Alex Cane would reply. As you are aware my computer skills are not good, but now I have retired I hope I can now progress from here. Thanks again to you my old workmate & friend.

Regards, Brian

I am the granddaughter of Lance Corporal Major Phillips ( Major was his christian name ) as children we heard the stories of him saving someones life and about the christmas hampers to his wife, my grandmother. I have read with interest the entries with regards to the Cigarette Case presented to him by Raymond Barrington Parry, and now know that his daughter , Myrtle, is still alive , and his great grandson has been in touch with my sister in Australia. I knew nothing of the existence of the cigarette case though, must have words with my cousin !!!

Regards Shirley